“Needs a renovation, not worth NZ$99 a night”

Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #33 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Australia
“Needs a renovation, not worth NZ$99 a night”
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Rooms were old and tired
Stains on room furniture and lamps
Spa area to close to rooms and very noisey at night
Bathroom was old, cracked tiles and mould in shower

We were disappointed as this was recommended as one of the best hotels in Rotorua by the tourist information centre in the town. Would not pay full price for a room and wished we'd seen a room before booking in.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
australia
Reviewed April 21, 2009

As a family of 3 on our first overseas holiday we decided to really treat ourselves in at least one of the hotels we would be staying in and The distinction in Rotorua seemed as though it would be what we were looking for. NOT! First impression, The young man on the desk was not helpful at all and had to be prompted to give any information on the hotel facilities and surrounding area, ( I noticed the next day when I was at the desk waiting for pool towels that when a pretty young lady was booking in, he was a wealth of info' and so very helpful!) Our bathroom had pubic hair on the floor, although 3 of us had booked in there were only towels and provisions for 2 and when I asked a worker for an extra towel she said that they were running short although she did bring me an almost thread bare rough old towel sometime later. Sugar, tea and coffee sachets for 3 people? 2 of each!! Both coffee cups were unwashed, not stained but had dried old coffee inside them. Then how hot was our room? Unbearably so, none of us got any sleep on the two nights we were there and had to leave the balcony door open all day and night! It was horrible! One day I will go back to Rotorua but I will never stay at this hotel again and I would never recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
DistinctionMgmt, Hotel Manager at Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, April 27, 2009
I am sincerely apologetic for the experience your family received recently at our establishment. This is not the standard of service Distinction normally offers. We are looking into your comments very seriously and will be implementing new procedures to eliminate these issues from occurring again in the future. I appreciate you taking the time to place your feedback, with this WE WILL develop & improve or service standards.

New Zealand
Reviewed March 18, 2009

The staff were very helpful, especially when a fried had to leave when her husband got sick. The décor was lovely. However the first night we ate in the restaurant and were served cauliflower that was off. We complained and received no apologies or even a comment. The meal was quite mediocre. When I went to go to bed there was a piece of grass stuck to the sheets. The marble in the bathrooms is quite horrific – looks like someone has bled all over it! The conference centre had some pluses but the seats are VERY uncomfortable and there wasn’t enough seating for lunch or even for the conference sessions. Expecting people to sit on the floor or stand for 90 mins isn’t on. The Maori show was embarrassingly amateur! The desk staff told me to park on the street (not very safe!) later I found a carpark a long way from my room.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
DistinctionMgmt, Hotel Manager at Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, April 7, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to advise your thoughts on our hotel from your recent stay. I appreciate all feed back from our guests, whether good or bad.

You have identified some areas of concern, which we will as a team, be actively working on to achieve the service standard levels we expect all our valued guests to receive. We are continually striving to better our Four Star Qual Mark grading.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel, and impress you with our renewed levels of customer service.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed February 10, 2009

We stayed at the Distinction for a night over Waitangi weekend with our baby son. Staff were friendly and co-operative, the hotel was modern and sleek, and the room was clean and tastefully decorated. It looks like a swish hotel, probably a nice place to have a conference in. I'd say it caters to business travellers and tourists.

However, the Distinction needs to lift its game a little. Why are the rooms not air-conditioned? We're Kiwis and used to a lack of air-conditioning (air-conditioning is still a foreign concept in NZ), but I'm surprised more of the international tourists the Distinction aims to attract don't complain. Rotorua is a hot humid place, and we had the misfortune of staying a night when it was particularly horribly humid. OK, the room had a ceiling fan, and all it did was push the hot air around the room. Whoopee. We had to open up the door to the balcony in the end and was greeted by the sound of logging trucks thundering down Fenton Street and the Rotorua smell of sulphur. Hardly the conditions for which to get a baby, or indeed anyone, to sleep. I would think, that for a hotel of this calibre, that customer comfort would be your first priority. It's no good having big comfortable beds (and they were comfortable) in a room if it's too hot to sleep in. C'mon guys, even an extra fan in the rooms would be an improvement.

Another couple of grizzles about the Distinction. (Sorry, but, as the title of the review suggests, high prices do mean high expectations and mine weren't met.) The hotel staff had to be chased up on requests -- such as my request for a high chair for our son, which never came. Sorry, but they weren't exactly rushed off their feet. Also, what sort of hotel has guest facilities that are only open for very restricted hours? Three restaurants, two bars, a hairdressers and a guest shop and none were open during the day. After I checked out at 11.00 am, I had to wait for my husband until 12.30 and assumed I'd be able to grab some lunch at the restaurant. I was wrong. It was shut. Sure, they give you room service, but like I said, this was after check out. There are very few retail outlets in that part of town and when you're not driving, you are all out of options (this is a big problem in NZ where it is automatically assumed that everyone drives!) It ended things on a bit of a bad note for me, as the hotel made me feel that once I'd checked out, I was no longer important to them.

So, the Distinction isn't a bad hotel but it's not the 5-star establishment it makes itself out to be either. A little less emphasis on how the hotel **appears** and a little more emphasis on customer care is needed.

• Liked — Clean, tidy and modern
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable, stuffy room
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Detroit
Reviewed January 29, 2009

We stayed at the Distinction Rotorua for 3 nights. The rooms were standard hotel with 2 beds and were fairly nice. The beds were comfortable. We couldn’t get the room to cool down and couldn’t find and temperature control.

The hotel is a bit out of the center of town, and is close to one of the natural springs areas. The place smells like sulphur, but so does the entire town. If you have a car it’s convenient, but you would need one to get to all the sights anyway!

• Liked — Nothing in particular
  • Disliked — temperature control in the room
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Thank you for taking time out to advise your thoughts on our establishment.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us & look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to New Zealand.

Auckland
Reviewed December 31, 2008

Very pleased, paid $149.00 NZD which included a buffet breakfast, which was very nice. The room was clean and modern. The Japanese restaurant located in the Hotel was excellent, we ate there both nights and it was very resonable priced. Will stay again

• Liked — The Japanese resturant and room.
  • Stayed December 2008
Wellington
Reviewed August 17, 2008

We originally booked with the Grand Tiara Hotel for 3 nights but on our second night we were so impressed with our stay there that we booked a further 2 nights which meant we stayed a total of 5 nights there. The experience was lovely! We have two children 1 pre-schooler and 1 school aged and The Hotel was so helpful and accommodating when it came to our requests. The staff was generally friendly and Welcoming and we felt very at home there. The rooms were lovely and everything was always taken care of. The room service was outstanding and the food lovely.

We enjoyed the heated pool and the lovely rock pools at the Hotel. We had a lovely dinner in their restaurant and all in all we were treated like royalty by everyone we came into contact with.

We felt well rested and relaxed after our stay there and you just can not believe the value for money.

The Grand Tiara Hotel is worth every penny and more! We will not stay anywhere else except the Grand Tiara when we return to Rotorua for another vacation.

• Liked — The general Ambiance and friendliness of the Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)