All reviews mr yakitori grotto spa high tea deluxe room family package kids room buffet breakfast top floor heated pool town centre bit dated stayed here for one night grottos pools spas sauna geyser
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have had the pleasure of staying at the Distinction before and both times it's been amazing.

The motel is a little dated but boasts 5 floors of large rooms.

We were pleased to work with Elle from the front desk and because we were meeting up with relatives; she was able to ensure our rooms were side by side with an inter connecting door.

The pools are fantastic, with a main pool, a very large jaquizzi and several small underground spa pools and sauna.

A perfect 'getaway' weekend.

Room tip: Could only be better if they came with a kitchenette. Fridge with kettle for coffees/teas only. No mini bar (although I never use them, mostly due to the price) so BYO.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
DistinctionHotels, General Manager at Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Neil S from Fielding, glad you came back to visit us again this May. Yes Elle is extremely helpful and will go out of her way to make guests have an enjoyable stay. The hotel has been undergoing a refurbishment over the last 4 years, we have completed all our Superior & deluxe rooms, all restaurants & bars and right now our suites are being upgraded. Just the corridors & reception to go. We hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My stay was great with one exception. The reception was an unnecessary mess. I got three room keys before I got the right room key. I was not impressed with this. The room was very clean and well presented. The TV reception was cloudy but not really an issue. Perhaps a couple more channels would be appropriate. Plastic water glasses was not appropriate for the Conference I was attending. Great meals which were reasonably priced. I would go back again.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Max L

Max L, I trust you enjoyed your conference and it was informative for your needs. I will look into the key issuing at reception. In regards to the plastic glasses, these are used for our water coolers and when conference numbers are large as we make up several water stations for all to be able to reach. I hope you got to use some of the facilities around the hotel and managed to get in some relaxation.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed here with a group for an overnight conference and it was terrific. didn't use any of the amenties (other than the bar;) but ate at Mr Yakitori which was terrific.
Comfortable bed and nice decor in room.
Lovely service from staff, and I thought a very good price.
have since been back for a one day conference and it was as good (and this time was tempted to jump in the heated pool)

Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled on business

Greetings Susan T, we have a large range of facilities for the business traveller and an array of conference rooms for all company requirements, something to suit all needs. We’re pleased you have been to visit a couple of times. Mr Yakitori is great isn’t it, Now if we could just get you here for a third visit we might just be able to get you in that heated pool - relaxation!!

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed here last month for 2 nights...Really bad Customer service...Blonde at reception was too arrogant when we asked her to help us with luggage because we were having 2 kids along and ladies in Restaurant were Nice... Manager( Alen) Filipino Guy was too rude with some Employee literally rude...
Guys you need to improve standards of communication with guest and employees in your team

Date of stay: April 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
DistinctionHotels, General Manager at Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Kia Ora Richard T, I apologise that your stay was not up to standard with our customer service. Your comments do come as a surprise to me, I am aware of the two staff members you have pointed out and have never in the two years of managing this hotel had any customer service issues from these employees. In fact just the opposite. I will discuss your comments with them to see if they can recollect when & why they came across to you as they did. It’s a shame that you did not bring these concerns to my attention whilst you were at the hotel, where I could have apologised in person & corrected it immediately, rather than a month after the event. As you will see from the reviews on this site, our customer service is 99.9% outstanding.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We've stayed in many hotels in Rotorua and this is one of the nicest. The grotto area is awesome: stylised "cave" rooms with mineral baths (including jacuzzi jets)... it's just too bad the waterfalls over them aren't working. You can tell that in it's day this hotel would have been 'the place', it's a little worn around the edges now, but it still has a real charm about it. Didn't try Mr. Yakitori but it looked great. Would definitely stay again.

Room tip: We were above the jacuzzi area, which got a little noisy with the kids below. Wasn't too bad but the squeals first thing in the morning made us roll our eyes a bit.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
DistinctionHotels, General Manager at Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Nicole S, it’s so great you could come for the short trip down and enjoy some time out with us. Thank you for your comments. Yes the Grotto spa’s are a little different, and most seem to enjoy them. I will get the waterfalls worked on immediately. I hope you can come and visit again, next time try Mr Yakitori, the food is so fresh & light, or one of our other dining options, we certainly have something for everyone here. See you then.