All reviews mr yakitori grotto spa high tea deluxe room family package kids room buffet breakfast top floor heated pool town centre bit dated stayed here for one night grottos pools spas sauna geyser
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We often stay here - when on family holidays from Auckland, to Rotorua (which we love). We like the hotel because it is not too swanky and impersonal like some, but has everything you expect a hotel to have. The location is good (Fenton Street but down the end by some of the best thermal parks) so is reasonably handy but not too noisy. The staff are nice and the service is friendly.

The rooms are fine. Breakfast (which we had included in our deal) was excellent and the service, again great - friendly but competent.

I do think that the hot pool area was okay but personally not the best I have had in Rotorua to be honest although others seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Room tip: Try a meal at the Yakitori restaurant at the hotel - delicious food and good service. They have a special of a sampler range of the food for $16NZ - excellent value and really delicious food. It also makes for a quick meal if you are wanting to head out to some of the great attractions at night like Fairy Springs at nighttime (if you buy your ticket after 5pm it is good to use for the following day when you can return to the park and visit different activities then) or, our favourite, the Polynesian hot pools - ah, life is bliss.
Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

We are pleased to be able to welcome you & your family back again wahinetoaAuckland, it’s great we can be a home away from home for you all. There’s a lot of activities to keep everyone entertained in Rotorua, and after a busy day, our outdoor pool & Jacuzzi are a great way to relax. Yes your correct work on the Grotto spa’s is needed and were looking into that. We hope it won’t be long until we can welcome you back for a break away with your loved ones.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

we found the staff very helpful and friendly. They took the trouble to explain various aspects of the hotel

Date of stay: June 2012
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Del B, thanks for staying with us. I hope while you were here you got to try some of the facilities & restaurants & bars we have available. We have a new Executive Chef starting today so on your next visit we will have some great new menu’s to offer. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

stayed here for time out. what a lovely place Absolutely awesome. Lovely staff very helpful . thanking Lorelle you sound lovely on the phone and very helpfull.thankyou once again

Date of stay: June 2012
1  Thank Peter W
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Hi Peter W
Sounds like you got that time out, happy we could give you that bit of a break. Thank you for the comments regarding your dealings with Lorelle – she is a Gem, we are very lucky!! I hope you can come back & visit again – watch our website for some amazing deals coming out soon, might give you a chance to pop back for another night away. Ring Lorelle she’s ready to get your call.

Reviewed May 19, 2012

Here 2 nites as part of a South Pacific tour package. Felt very welcomed by staff who went out of their way to greet our group, answer questions, and help me figure out how to use the washing machines.

This is an older hotel with some very unique spa pools-Fred Flintstone would feel right at home in them!

The actual room was stuffed too full of furniture. And, the carpet was filthy-I dropped a tube top and declined to hunt for it because it was too dirty to crawl around.

Breakfast was surprisingly good-lots of choices for different visiting ethnic groups with the dim sum being my favorite!

Room tip: Renovations going on, so ask for something away from the noise and debris. May want to actually inspect a room before accepting it......
Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
DistinctionHotels, General Manager at Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Hello like2travelAtlanta, glad you could visit our way recently. I believe I know which block of rooms you were in and I will be discussing your comments with the Senior Management to rectify the issue & with the housekeeping team. Were pleased you got to use our many great facilities, even if some are a bit quirky and hope you may pass our way again on another holiday.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I stayed here for a recent conference and was pleasantly surprised at the size of the suite. The classical style of the hotel is one I prefer to soul-less modern 4 star hotels. Ok I agree a few things are showing their age, but faded grandeur is fine by me. Room service was excellent, food arrived quickly was hot and well cooked. The staff I encountered were pleasant and the manager was helpful and solution focused when we encountered chemical smells in the room and the hallway that were probably from a renovation on the same floor. Yes we did have no hot water for about 1/2 an hour, once early in the evening, (probably due to hotel being booked out), and on the 2nd floor I did hear banging around of occupants in the room above. However for the price we paid, the size of the room, close location to the cbd, and helpfullness of the staff, made up for these small inconveniences.

PS the Grotto Pools were the topic of talk at the conference dinner, we all wondered what kind of drugs the architect was on to design such a bizare spa experience, creepy ambience (a place for very dark deeds) best descrbes it. However the pool was gorgeous.

Room tip: Top floor to prevent foot noise over head.
Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank anahera

Anahera, we appreciate the time taken to place your thoughts on our hotel. I hope you enjoyed yoru conference. We agree with many of your comments and with the current refurbishment of the rooms you were in underway we are getting closer to being able to also complete public areas. Please do come back & try our newly refurbished rooms soon.