“Excellent for Mountain Biking”

Alpin Motel and Conference Centre
Ranked #38 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Excellent for Mountain Biking”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed for a week of mountain biking fun. short ride to entrance of the redwoods, good washdown facilities. Lockable bike storage on thier website turned out to be the pool courtyard at the back of the units, so not alot of room if you have more than one bike & had to lock to the wall . Also owners were away, the stand in people were good but didnt know alot about the trails & how to get there, ended up at the walkers visitor place the first day.
Unit was clean & good kitchen facilities (fridge, microwave & hob top). We had a unit at the front but not much traffic noise as bedroom at the back & 2 doors in between.
Hot tub good but not thermal spring water, they use a downhole heat exchanger. very eco for heating.
Pool nice & good that it is open 24hrs as nice in the cooler evening as too hot during the day. Not the cleanest but thats due to all the trees around it so cant really be helped.
Good yakatori bar in distinction hotel down the road & 5 min walk to the whakawera living village, deffo worth a visit if just for the hangi pies. About 40 min walk to town along 'motel road'.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fairey_queen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Good place to stay if you want a weekend away with the family (and the dog). Good beds, nice and clean, you get your own outside tub to fill with lovely hot water and the Motel has a small heated pool for guests to swim in.
Lovely Owners, price-average NZ $ 145.00/ night for 3 adults and a dog.
Will be back next time we're going to Rotorua

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank mingdie
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed March 16, 2013

this place was out of the blue booked and what a gem. the host was friendly and pleasant , easy to find,very quiet, nicely laid out,real clean and tidy,I will stay their again when in rotorua. Any one who knows rotorua and the amount of places to stay, will take this as a high recommendation,because of the choices.

Room Tip: they are all good
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Auckland
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed at Alpin Lodge for the night of Saturday 9/3/13.
I do wish I had traveled Rotorua on Friday night instead & stayed another night.
I was greeted by a very friendly team John and Sandra who were very happy, smiling and welcoming and showed me to my room, with milk for tea/coffee.
On the way, John noticed that I enjoy mountain biking and told me of the local trails and tracks and of Alpin's full cleaning facilities available to clean my bike.
While at my room, I was offered a quick guided tour of the premises (including how the lighting system worked in conjunction with the key, the Sky TV set up & the in-room spa pool instructions) - and was then also shown access to the Spa/Sauna area & swimming pool.

The pool was a treat (I had a delicious swim on Sunday morning-early before leaving) - John showed me the Spa / Sauna instructions & advised that I "might need to book it, in case when I turned up there were others already in there ..." VERY funny! Made me laugh!

The rooms were perfectly clean and tidy and the bed was superbly comfortable.

I commented to John and Sandra, when leaving, that I had never had such a friendly team look after me (I travel a lot throughout NZ), and would be back, if only to see them.... It turns out they were helping out by "minding the store" but still, the Alpin Motel with this team running it was a real treat and I look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: My room was on the side by the road - but there was NO road noise of any substance. Very quiet and p...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Hawkinsfamily57
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Great place to stay , my partner and i stayed here for 4 days in Jan 2013. It was very spacious , loved the spa and also the heated pool outside in the common area.One down fall is the two single beds put together , besides that it was a very pleasent stay there. I will be using this as our hoilday place in roturua.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Macquarie
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We spent a week here with a group of 10 and had a great time! The Alpin is only 10 minutes ride from the Redwoods and so a good base if you are mountain biking. We had five adjoining one bedroom apartments and a small courtyard at the back big enough to lock up our bikes. We could also park our 12 seater van and luggage trailer across the front of our units so it was perfect. The owners had just taken over as we were booking in and had only been there few months. We all made good use of the pool after biking each day, and even enjoyed a few jumps on the trampoline. Just a couple of small things - our fridge froze everything so we had to throw out a bit of food, and a couple of drying racks would have been very handy. Apparently nobody else has ever asked for drying racks before so perhaps it was just us who didn't like using the clothes dryer, especially for mountain biking gear. We got very muddy every day and so washed most days, and wound up putting the heaters in the bathroom to create a drying room. We really enjoyed staying at the Alpin and will definitely stay there again. If you are taking a bike to Rotorua it's the perfect base.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Whangarei, New Zealand
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is a centrally located motel with a great room layout. It is clean and tidy and the managers are very friendly and helpful.
There is a whirlpool in the privacy of your back garden area which connects on to the master bedroom with you own TV. We could sit and relax in the pool at night while the children watched TV and slept in the living room/ kitchen that had 2 x devan beds. The small hall adjoining the bedroom & living room had the bathroom coming off it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family