“Somewhere special!”
Review of Princes Gate Hotel

Princes Gate Hotel
Ranked #24 of 91 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I found this boutique hotel whilst searching for accommodation deals for Rotorua. I loved the history of it and the hotel looked lovely on the site. I didn't expect it to be as good as the pictures but it was and there was no disappointment. The hotel sits down at Government Gardens, away from the hustle and bustle of the other hotels and motels but very accessible to the town, tourist information and beautiful gardens. I was very impressed with the gentleman who took our case to our intended room as he decided to find us a different room due to a crying baby, without us having to request it. Breakfast was yummy but I regret not having had dinner there the night we arrived.

• Stayed: July 2013
PrincesGateHotel, Owner at Princes Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank-you very much for your wonderful comments, they are much appreciated. All your points you made about our hotel are exactly what we are all about, especially recognising individual, guests requirements and reacting accordingly to make your stay as comfortable & enjoyable as possible.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again and then you may get to try our delicious dinner menu on this occasion.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

we stayed at the Prices Gate for two nights recently on our trip through Rotorua.

we originally booked one of the Mayfair Apartments and requested a 2bed 2bath unit as we were travelling with our adult daughter. however when we arrived the room we had been allocated had only one bathroom and the only other 2x2 unit available was an additional $100/n which we didn’t want/need to pay, so they were happy to change our booking and moved us into two separate classic rooms in the main building.

the rooms are a little smaller which is probably to be expected in hotel of its age, but they are tastefully decorated and provide a quiet restful sleep. the only minor issue we had was the temperature in the rooms was a bit cool for us as the only heating is provided by an old steam heater on the wall, but again I would think that’s an age issue.

the hotel has a pleasant old world feel and the location is very central with easy walking to a wide variety of restaurants and cafés.

the staff were friendly and provided excellent advice on walks, tours, and attractions in the area.

overall it’s a pleasant place to stay and I think it’s a little better than average

Room Tip: make sure you check the facilities in the room/apartment you book as they are all different.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ColinAJA

We appreciate your great comments about our hotel & the service you received. We are glad an agreeable solution was found for your initial issue and that this did not detract at all from your stay with us. As we have stated before, those who bring an issue to a hotels attention straight away allow the issue to be remedied & therefore the guest can enjoy their stay.

In regard to the heating, we apologise if the temperature was not hot enough. Normally the hotel is extremely warm and the heaters in the rooms provide a toasty environment for a cold night. As we are thermally heated though, every now and then we can get a drop in pressure leading to a slight drop in temperature - the nature of thermal heating. We do however have spare heaters available on request.

We do hope to have you stay again.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

From the moment we arrived we had fantastic service with great food, the public areas are truly stunning and hot springs in the courtyard. It was great to see that the rooms are being updated as this is a beautiful historic building

• Stayed: July 2013
PrincesGateHotel, Owner at Princes Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Dear reviewer,

We are extremely happy to hear of your enjoyable stay. The service you received & our beautiful property are the hallmarks of our wonderful hotel. We are still renovating our last few rooms for the season and these will of course be fantastic additions to our other recently completed rooms & outdoor areas.

We hope to welcome you back to enjoy more great service & tasty food.

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in june. Our travel agent booked this as a five star place. When we were shown to our room it was in the adjoining building. It had "old charm" with really old fitting's. The bed had depressions in it from the thousands of people that had been through it. The carpet didn't join up and was frayed and even the guest information card had a greasy mark from a previous guest.

We sat in our room feeling deflated as this was by far the only "horrible" room we had seen in new Zealand. Once we muscled up the courage to see recption we were told that was the room our travel agent booked for us. This sole comment from their staff made me so angry. I have read the replies from princess gate on here and they will most likly claim my review is unfair. It is however honest in my eyes and from our experience. If you advertise 5 star it should reflect most of the rooms in your establishment if they don't meet that maybe you should fix them to avoid these kind of reviews. I would give a 2 star rating for the attached "apartments"

They did manage to change our room but only as I was about to demand a refund. The next room was better, but by my standards hardly 4 star with no in room safe and a shower with poor flow and minimal hot water and with no heating in a stone cold bathroom. Again their cleaning standards
were not really high.

In conclusion if you want to stay close to town and walking distance this place is great. If you don't mind a few little quirks and some old style charm it's for you. If you like cleanliness and modern maybe stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2013
6  Thank PaulRutherford

Dear reviewer,

In regard to previous comments, I have only been upfront and honest and offered a view from the other side. Firstly you did everything right as far as the hotel is concerned. You contacted reception and gave us the opportunity of rectifying your concerns. In terms of the actual complaint, I mentioned in a previous review approximately 2 weeks ago that the apartment that you were staying in is a beautiful space, large living area, great bathroom with spa bath and good size bedroom. I would imagine you would agree with these comments. In my last comment I also mentioned & I explained that we had 2 more apartments that we were completely revamping that included new carpet throughout. This is already under-way with new curtaining already in place with the time frame for completion in the next 14 days. I am pleased that you were shown to another room. I can assure you a refund wouldn't even have come into our decision process. Our main concern is that our guests leave fully satisfied and even if that meant the guest not wanting to stay we certainly would not have held them against their will. As I have stated many times, our motivation does not come from money, but from guest satisfaction. The receptionist has done the right thing here by upgrading to a Designer Room.
We are a thermally heated hotel and to be honest we don't normally have a problem with heating and on top of this the room has air-conditioning which just needs the guest to select their preferred temperature. Thank-you though for once again expressing the wonderful location we have. I do take exception to the cleanliness comment and this might have been a little emotive from the writer. If the information did have a grease mark then obviously this is unacceptable but I don't think fair to say the room was not clean because of that.
All in all in summary, I think as a hotel we reacted to the concerns appropriately.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was a lovely stay in a great location with warm service in the most beautiful Heritage Building full of character, and wonderfully styled. The only downside was a bit of noise due to the fact it is an old building. Loved the on site hot pools!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear reviewer,

Your comments regarding our location and character are much appreciated. Along with our personalised service, these are the aspects of our hotel we take great pride in and build our reputation upon. (And all those creaks and noises are all just part of the charm & character of the old building!!!).

We hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

During a break in rotorua I decided to bring my girlfriend for a meal to this hotel. We arrived at the bar entrance to find the door could not open. After sometime the waitress came and had to put all her body weight against the door just to open it! We took a seat in the restaurant area and ordered firstly the bruschetta. The bruschetta arrived soon, from first look It was a well presented dish, however that's all it was. The tomatoes were soggy, the cheese was burnt and overall the flavours were not there! Under the bruschetta was a paper clothes which even though was aesthetically pleasing, it caused more annoyance getting hooked on the cutlery. For the main my better half ordered a steak and I ordered the beef Wellington medium rare! My beef Wellington was simply well done, with tasteless vegetables and little sauce to accompany the meal. My other half asked to swap as her steak was quiet the opposite of what was ordered! When the waitress asked how is the meal, we responded, in response we got a 'I do apologise' and an awkward silence! Needless to say a dessert was not ordered. We left in search of another restaurant to resurrect the evening!

8  Thank Fraher26
PrincesGateHotel, Owner at Princes Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear readers,

You cannot please everyone, however I do apologise that these guests came through the side door and our waitress was not tall enough to unlock the top latch of the door.

In terms of our restaurant, we are very fortunate to produce up to 1000 meals per week and cater for a wide spectrum from dinner, breakfast & service club meals through to high teas. We cater many special functions including Prime Ministers, Weddings, Cocktail functions and of course our Cabaret Dinner & Shows which we have been performing for 28 years.

Ask any restaurant and they will tell you that you can serve 100 meals with 99 people who will enjoy the meal and 1 person won't not through any fault of the restaurant but just because people are people.

Once again, we do apologise about the door.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I really enjoyed the experience of staying in this grand old lady. Very traditional colonial hotel style, comfortable, warm and friendly. Possibly a little tired in parts but that wasn't a problem - felt more like home! Beds extremely comfortable, lovely linen. Even though I was there on business this time I would definitely look at staying there if I was in Rotorua for pleasure.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,

We appreciate your lovely comments and feedback. It is always great to know that our guests had a wonderful time during their stay with us and especially enough that they would like to come back.

In regard to some slight tiredness in parts, this is always true in every hotel and especially a historic one such as this. Having said that, we have a continual maintenance & upgrade schedule in place and we are once again in the middle of renovating some of our rooms and these will be beautiful upgrades to our property.

We would love to have you stay with us again and a tip to all readers who are away for business is to contact us and ask about our corporate rates.