“OMG!”

SilverOaks Resort Heritage
Ranked #90 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed February 15, 2014

My partner and I stayed at SilverOaks Resort as part of our 2 week holiday in NZ. We only booked the night before through WOTIF. We requested an one bedroom with a private spa. What also appealed to us was our own private Japanese garden and an onsite restaurant that were advertised and described beautifully. We arrived at SilverOaks on the Sunday afternoon to discover that we were not being put in a room that we had requested. Instead we were put in a room that sleeps 6 and there were only the 2 of us!! When we asked why this had happened, the only answer we got was that John (Manager) had decided to upgrade. That was it!! so we accepted. I did ask if the upgrade was at an extra cost to which I was told no. We went to our room and we were disapointed to what we found. The Japanese garden was a complete joke! It was overgrown and I would consider it as a fire hazard. The towels in the bathroom were badly worn and were fraying. Cheap and nasty! The toaster looked about 30 years old and I was not game to cook toast in it for I was scared of being zapped! The private spa room was like a sauna. You could not sit in it for any length of time and we were shocked when we opened up this door at the back of the spa room to find that there was rubbish thrown behind it. GROUSE!
The jets on the spa were on the bottom so you actually sat on top of jets and were painful. There were no extra blankets for the size of the room. For a room that slept 6, there was one extra blanket that was a single bed blanket and no extra pillows. The cleanliness of the room was ok. The television was a joke. 3 sky channels and the other channels we couldn't tune in. Most motels / hotels have 50 channels. This place was pretty mingy. The room reminded me of a doctors surgery with stupid, ridiculous vertical blinds. The lights were shining in so therefore I had 5 sleepless nights as the result. Whats so wrong with putting decent drapes on the windows? However, I did notice other rooms had drapes but not ours. There was also no fan / air conditioning. The gym wasnt opened and was used as a storage room and the spa was not going either. The pool was too hot and we did witness a small child scream when she put her foot in the pool. The restaurant is not opened for dinner. We only found that out on our first night as we wanted to stay and eat. But we were informed by the receptionist that it was only opened for 2 hours in the morning for breakfast which was a continental breakfast at a cost of $12.50! They somehow failed to mention that on their website. Just another ploy to make money!! This motel / hotel is an OHS risk and is dangerous. The only nice thing I will say is that the receptionist, Sarah, was a lovely lady who really did her job exceptionally well and was a pleasure to know. she really helped us with bookings to attractions, etc. But I do hold the Manager, John, responsible for the condition of this place. It has a lot of potential to be a resort but he obviously does not care, only for his wallet. In my opinion, sack him!!

Room Tip: Drive right past! Roll up the window and keep going!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank karen f
Greg W, Owner at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I got this hotel on the wotif mistery deal so I got it cheap. You get a pool, mini putt and bbq area. Didn't get a chance to see the tennis court and the spas were all out of order so can't judge them. To be honest I only needed a place to sleep and shower as Rotorua is full of things to do and keep you occupied non-stop through out the day. I was only there for 3 nights so it was fit for purpose for my needs.

Manager was really friendly and helpful and he made sure I got a nice quiet room so I could rest easily, he picked up on the fact I wanted to escape the every day hustle and bustle. I fully recommend this place if you are purely visiting Rotorua for it's attractions and not planning to be stuck inside the motel room for long periods of time.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Greg W, Manager at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Two nights in this horrible place was enough to put you off returning. First we were given an upgrade to a room that was untidy, cluttered and unhygienic. The toilet floor was grouse, these cleaners could do with a lesson or two. We complained and were given another that turned out to be worse still with a pillow I wouldn't sleep my dog on. Human hair and stains in side the bed, had they even bothered to change the bedding? Unfortunately this was not discovered until we returned to the room after 10.00pm when the office was shut. We did stay the night. Complaining again in the morning saw another change of room. A bit better this time but oh my god I'll never book online without checking reviews first. The ones on this place make interesting reading I tell you.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!! EVER
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Bryan F

We do hope that you will return in the future

We appreciate your comments, since your review we have moved to hired linen, all the linen is now crisp, pressed and fresh.

We believe we have taken a positive response to all your comments, and we would welcome a future review of the property

Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

This has been my worst experience ever with accommodations. I have travelled so much but never came across this sort of situation. I booked on the 27th of December for the 27th and 28th of December for seven people for 2 rooms via bookingit.com(trademe). On arrival if the first lot of our family, someone called John at the reception said no booking under that name and sent them to another hotel saying it was that other hotel booking. The other hotel confirmed it was silveroak heritage resort but tried to help by making few calls to see if there were any accomodation available at the peak time but had no luck. Thanks to that guy. While I left Auckland after work at 4.30, halfway to my journey, I was told about the issue so I called the accomodation that I had booked and john told me "sorry you have no booking" trademe never updated their website. Luckily we found a place in Tirau for that night and we had to go to Turangi for the second. While these silveroaks heritage took our payment and slept through our money and made us run around with no shame. I contacted trademe for my refund, only half the amount was refunded. I also wrote to both customer services at silveroaks and trademe with my complaint. Trademe replied very professionally while silveroaks didn't even acknowledge but told trademe that we never showed up. They probably thought that I have lost the battle and will be quiet but they are wrong, i have been busy travelling overseas but I will make sure I will get my money back. I will advise my readers please be careful and read through the reviews before booking which is what I didn't do this time. Trademe.co.nz should be aware of what an untrustworthy client this silveroaks hotel is to them and everyone. I hope to help and save other innocent people out there. Plus the place is not that cheap to giveaway money for no rooms. I m not surprised as to what I have read about it from other reviewers.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank RajjieNaidu

We thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback

Regards

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We booked online via wotif for 2 nights - 3 adults and 2 children. We arrived to find there was no room available but there was space in the sister hotel down the road - there wasn't. Next we were told there was accommodation available, manager gave us key and we went over to find a room looking like a pig sty. Back to manager who said he would get it cleaned immediately so if we went and got something to eat it would be ready on return. Went back to find another family in the room who'd been there for the last few days. By this time it was 9pm and with 2 under 5s needing bed we ended up sharing a 1 bed room in the sister hotel. It would be a bit like an episode of fawlty towers if it wasn't so bad. Manager said he would refund the second night. He lied and we are now persuing legal action through credit card company.

We weren't the only ones with problems either - another couple had been double booked, one family had sat it the dark for over an hour with no power to their room and one who they were trying to charge double.

Room Tip: Choose a different motel!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Steve r
Greg W, General Manager at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and it was our pleasure to have you as our guest during your recent visit to Rotorua.

I regret to learn that your stay was not as per your expectation, I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the disappointment and inconvienance caused.

Please let me assure you that we are committed to providing the best accomodation and serrvice to our guests, and as Silveroaks team we will continously strive to deliver teh service excellence

We look forward to welcoming you to witness the comfort and enjoyment in our newely renovated rooms in near future

Kind regards

John Chetty

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We went to Rotorua for a N Z Touch torn over Akld Ann weekend. We had stayed at the Silver Oaks for this torn for the last 3 years. This time around the we felt the resort is in dire straights of a full refurbishment and a complete tidy up. However all that aside we found the manager John Chetty to be an awesome host and looked after our team very well. Hopefully next year when we are coming down again to the torn that the have had a refurb and tidy up.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

We are refurshing the Hotel at present, and we look forward to a future review if the property

Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

The manager here is the most accommodating hotel manager I have ever met! He went beyond and above for everyone who came through the door and was still helping me after 10pm when the office was meant to close. Rooms a bit dated but big and comfortable.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Bridget Q

We appreciate the feedback on our service and facilities