“Ragga weekend”

SilverOaks Resort Heritage
Ranked #90 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
“Ragga weekend”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Stayed here over the Ragga weekend, i booked thru an internet website which was confirmed... after calling the hotel 2 days later to confirm my booking, they told me they had nothing booked for me and they had NO spare rooms available after a few emails back and forth and few days of worrying about where we were going to stay the hotel confirmed the booking. Rooms were nice enough we didnt spend that much time in them as we were out most of the days ... we had the studio spa unit (Rm #1) which was cool could do with a new fridge as it doesnt keep anything cold our friends had a 1 bedroom unit pretty pleasant would prefer this to the spa unit!!!.. They did have a night man walking around telling everyone to 'shut it' (this was at 10pm on Ragga weekend come on!!) 90% of the ppl there were there for Ragga the guys we were with started laughing at his 'Shut it' comment he was making to the ppl downstairs only to have this reply from the night rider lol "If you guys wanna fight you'll get one" LMFAO we couldnt belive it him saying this to 2 large island guys was the highlight of our pre-ragga night hahahhah ... all in all was alright for what we paid for didnt eat the food coz $18 only gets you bacon eggs toast tomato and a coffee .. hhmmm..

Room Tip: Bring your own chilly bin if you want to keep your drinks cold
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank CRIZNWILZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Just got back from a very disappointing stay at this "resort" (that is what the owners call it!). I just wish I had visited Tripadvisor first and then I wouldn't have stayed at this abysmal place. On the surface you think - a bit tired and run down, but good sized rooms and storage for clothes, luggage. Look closer - the ceramic stove top in the kitchen area has a gigantic crack in it, the shower needs to be doused with bleach, the spa pool in the unit is cracked and doesn't work, sofas (though large) are covered in hair, curtains ripped, towels provided are ripped. I could go on but you get the general idea. The spa complex outside needs to be seen to be believed - it was shut for "maintenance" but really needs to be shut and demolished. The gym consisted of a bike and a walking machine. Both of which didn't work - though I wouldn't go there anyway as the room smelt mouldy.
What really topped it off was the service from management/owners. The dvd player didn't have a remote so it was promised to be fixed the next day. Then the TV in the bedroom didn't work as the aerial cable was missing. This couldn't be rectified immediately as I raised the issue on a Sunday, after 5pm and maintenance wasn't provided at the hour. DVD remote eventually arrived as did an aerial cable but then the owner (Noel) made some snarky comment about calling him too often. Then the classic where the paper didn't arrive one morning. I went to the office and asked them if we could have another delivered. Well you'd have thought I'd asked for the moon to stop spinning. A great performance was made, I was advised in no uncertain terms that the paper had indeed been delivered and then the owner's wife stalked off to track her husband down. Within 5 mins a paper arrived mysteriously. Then the owner (Noel) came barging into our unit stood in the doorway and proceeded to lecture us that he personally delivered the paper a 7.48am! and that since "papers don't have legs" I was causing an unnecessary problem. Then he stalked off back to the office leaving us both gobsmacked at the lack of professional behaviour. I went to the shortly afterwards to get some tour brochures. Noel didn't know I was there because from behind the counter I could hear him recounting to his wife " I told the old cow that newspapers don't have legs".
Long story short - abysmal service, rude owners, grubby shabby unit though surprisingly the beds were very comfortable.

Room Tip: Choose an upper level room otherwise you'll here the guests use the toilet and every other ablut...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank lucy g
Greg W, Owner at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
We thank you for your feedback

The Hotel changed management in 2013, and we have taken steps to resolve the issues you have raised

Regards

Greg Wilson

Travelers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Reviewed October 24, 2011

The relieving managers were extremley helpful. We were booked in to the Gwendoline and were told on arrival that we had been upgraded. Well if going from a 2 bedroom unit with Private Spa to a one bedroon unit with 2 fold out settees is an upgrade then I don't know what a downgrade would be. Only 1 of the 5 public spas was working all the others had notices on that they were out of order. The hotplates were only very hot and you couldn't turn them down. Stained carpets, shabby buildings, only enough cutlery and plates for 3 when we were booked for 4 adults. Towels for 3. Lucky the 4th person didn't come!!! I will never recommend this motel in fact I will aim to find out which other motels are connected so it doesn;t happen to me again and get shoved to a so called upgrade!!! I work with many people who travel and will make them known of our experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Janet F
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed here as a family of four. The room was a 1 bedroom spa unit.

There is a separate bedroom with a queen bed and a smallish flat screen tv. In the lounge there was a double pull-out sofa bed, and a single couch bed, and another flat screen tv. And the best part about sleeping here was no traffic noise!

A breakfast bar with chairs and a small table with another couple of chairs was also in the room. The kitchen seemed to have everything you need for cooking, however we only had breakfast so can't comment on utensils etc. Of note was the fact that there was only two bread & butter plates, and three dinner plates - this is not adequate crockery when a family of four wishes to "dine in"!

Outdoors in a covered in courtyard is a self-fill spa - which we all enjoyed soaking in. Another small table and two chairs were also in this area - handy for having a quiet drink instead of in the room.

The kids enjoyed playing the free mini golf, and they could have also played tennis (racquets, clubs and balls provided by reception for this). The large heated outdoor pool is very good, and it is so warm you can swim in it all year round. There are four private spa pools, but we didn't have to use them as we had our own pool. Also good was the fact that there was free WIFI, so the kids were happy using that too!

I'd recommend this resort if you aren't wanting to spend top dollar on somewhere to stay with kids (we would stay here again if we got room 11). However, juding by previous reviews, we seem to have had a better unit than others have had!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank chynna
Pakuranga, New Zealand
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Originally booked via Expedia to stay at Heritages sister Motel/Inn the "Gwendoline" next door. Arrived there to be informed we were to stay at the Heritage - at no extra cost, which my Wife and myself found strange, but over bookings happen (only reason i can think that we would be moved)
Arrived at the Heritage next door and were given Room Four. This room must have been due for an upgrade. Peeling Wallpaper in Bedroom a turn off, and toilet walls look like it had undercoat on it, or just a blotchy paint job. We were advised the Spa in our room was being fixed, but that we could use the Main Pool and Other Spas near the Dinning Room/Cafe, which we did & enjoyed. I will say the Unit we had was clean and tidy though. Nice fresh Towels etc, lovely Kitchen area, some worn carpet though near kitchen area. A little annoyed about the Spa in room not working. It was my Wifes first visit to Rotorua since moving to NZ, had wanted to make it special for her.
I found the Manager very pleasant.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank the2ndhasapulse
Mangaweka, New Zealand
Reviewed September 15, 2011

From the outside - attractive building. Friendly, obliging staff. Clean. Comfortable bed. Good sized bathroom with good light over multiple mirrors.

I was looking for somewhere to bathe, iron my evening wear, and then later sleep. Unfortunately, I had to ask for the iron, ironing board (which had an unsuitable cover - I put a blanket over it), and hairdryer. Hairdryer only worked on "nearly cold". Consequently I was running late for my function. Fortunately I didn't want a private spa - the one attached to my room was out of action. Had a nice swim in hot but tired looking pool.

Found bed very comfortable - I slept like a baby - but the alarm clock never went off.

Nice looking place, cheap - but needs a refurb.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank bushkeys
Waihi, New Zealand
Reviewed July 23, 2011

This "Resort" is a crock do not stay here i stayed there for a weekend away with family and was booked into an uncleaned room. As a upgrade we were given another room with a private spa of which was broken? I honestly did not want to sleep in the bed the place was that grotty. I then proceeded to get very bad burns from the element in the kitchen as it only ran hot and only one element worked.... when a member of our group went to the office and told them that i had got burns from the element not working correctly he was told they knew it was broken!! maybe it should get fixed.. i will have scars from it, i had put the element one. low heat number one there are some pictures attached of the burns. the place is run down dirty and very misrepresented i will not stay there ever again and if this "resort" is part of the silver oaks chain i would not even bother staying at any of the others. if the problems aren't fixed by head office at this dive i would not like to see what the rest of the chain motels are like. bad experiance not pleased at all i would not recomend it to anyone.....!!!!!!

Room Tip: Health and safety risk to yourself.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Ema026
SophieAuckland, Owner at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
I am very disappointed to read your review, and whilst we do appreciate guest comments, it is disappointing when they are not a fair representation of the facts.

We did check the elements, and they did work perfectly, what actually happenened is the guest put the element on high, with hot oil in the frying pan, and then dropped the meat into the frying pan, and of course if you do that you will get hot fat flying into the air.

There is nothing the Hotel could have reasonably have done to prevent this.