“Hot! No heating controls. ”

Copthorne Hotel Rotorua
Ranked #85 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
“Hot! No heating controls. ”
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are fine, nothing special. But there's no ability to control the heating in the room and it was incredibly hot! Had to sleep with the door open and had a poor nights sleep. Also very few channels on the TV. A budget hotel for sure. Much better options in Rotorua.

Stayed December 2013
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am unsure the reason for the heat control but I do receommend a quick call to reception as I know they would have offered a solution to the heat problem or a possble upgrade to a airconditioned room on availability.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Thai first
Burnie, Australia
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here as this was the hotel included in my AAT Kings tour. I was immediately disappointed. Very tired, old hotel. My room was absolutely not up to standard. I can not believe this place is listed as 4 star. For what I paid for that tour I am incredibly disappointed in the standard of the hotel and my room. I will be speaking with my travel agent about this place.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Chris C
Thank you for your feedback. I do know parts of our hotel are aged and we do plan to start revamping areas of the hotel in late March early April. I regret to hear your stay was not up to your standard although we do try our very best to upgrade where possible. Your comments have been taken on board as a valuable tool to help us work towards regaining your faith in our product. Thank you again.

Travelers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed here on my own to attend a wedding at the hotel. The room was comfortable and possibly nicer than I expected. I had a small couch, coffee table and king bed and the bathroom had a nice big bath. Everything I needed was in the room, including ironing board and hair dryer. The service from all staff was friendly and helpful. I enjoyed my stay here, although I have to say I didn't really use many of the hotel facilities and was out a lot of the time

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you kindly for your feedback. Your comments were well received by the staff and I am pleased we delivered a acceptable level of service during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Auckland NZ
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Self and spouse stayed here 2 x nights on a discounted rate through BestHotels.com We were not displeased at all. Room was very tidy and clean, with armchairs, a table and much drawer space. All good.
Presumably the room had been redecorated and nicely recarpeted. Seems the painters overlooked the inside of the bathroom door.
If you stay in the room we had, don’t anticipate using the fridge for cold goods. Fridge is in a cupboard with, of course, a door, with ventilation through short and grossly inadequate open slots at the top of said cupboard. Heat created by the fridge is therefore retained within the cupboard so the fridge is fighting its own heat – and seriously fails to win. With temp set at lowest possible level nothing remains cool never mind cold. Simple also to put ‘stuff’ over the slots thereby cutting off all ventilation and enhancing the heat around the fridge. Not at all good. Removing the cupboard door would help.
Air con could not cope with the outside 26c heat of the day even though someone had previously set the room temp at .5. Really not good.
At check-in we were told we had been upgraded “free”. That word rang bells as we had been billed by BestHotels (an offshoot of Millennium/Copthorne) an optional sum (above the rate) for an upgrade, which I had taken as meaning this would cover an upgrade if one was available and would be a waste of money if there wasn’t. Telling the very helpful receptionist of this charge caused it to be deducted very promptly. More good.
Trouble with being told one is upgraded is nice but really often doesn’t happen, for one rarely, if ever, is able to see what one has been upgraded from – if there has been an upgrade at all. We are delighted to give the receptionist the benefit here for she was extremely helpful and wouldn’t tell an untruth.
Best job in the hotel has to be that of the barman. Over two days and evenings we saw no one using said bar or even seated therein . On one occasion we entered and service was prompt and good. On another occasion there was no person serving so we left.
Restaurant is very good with attentive and helpful staff and acceptable pricing. With NZ anticipating an increase in Asian tourists, I believe management should get sorted for these folk as all do not arrive in groups with a guide. While dining, we observed 4 Asians attempting to make sense of the English worded menu. Even with the studious help of the Asian waitress it took an extraordinary time for the 4 to ascertain what was what and to place orders.
Overall, a very good, and informative, stay. The hotel is unable to change its distance from town so it’s not worth mentioning that. There is a nearby dairy and a grog shop along side streets.

Room Tip: Unable to help here. The lift may be a worry though failed to fail during our stay. Don't expec...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you kindly for your feedback. Your comments have been taken on board and we do hope to host you again in the near future.
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Enjoyed our stay here but have to say it needs an upgrade. Carpets are well worn, décor scuffed and buckets on the landing as roof was leaking.
Check in was friendly and efficient. Our room was about as far away from reception as it could be. Not a problem for us but may be for anyone with mobility issues.
Our room was spacious, beds very comfy with clean. good quality linen. Pillows very hard, I asked for soft ones at reception but didn't get any.
Bathroom was fine, if dated. Towels were clean, though well worn. Usual bath amenities provided.
There was a safe,a fridge and good quality tea and coffee which was replenished daily.
Breakfast was of good quality but there were so few people staying at the time that it all seemed to have been sitting there a while. I am sure people would happily wait for fresh food to be cooked for them rather than see food wasted. Lots of choice and staff were very helpful and friendly.
Location was fine for us, a nice 15 minute walk to town.
For the price we paid I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Thak you kindly for your review. We appreciate any form of feedback. We are planning a mini refurnbishment in late March early April which should address some of the areas you mentioned. Thank you again.
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Dated and old.
Only one lift serviced all levels, people forced to take stairs. One couple in our group got stuck in the lift.
If this wasn't a pre organised tour, we would not have stayed here.
Too far from town, you need a taxi to take you in.
Was clean and tidy. We had no jug in the room for boiling water. We requested one and ended up with two.
Restaurant was good and served delicious meals, that we could get through. Breakfast buffet was plenty.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you kindly for your review. I do apologize for the lift being down during a portion of your stay. We are upgrading it in the New Year. Unfortunately the distance from town can be a problem for some guests although if you travelled with a group this is usually clarified through your Travel agent. Thank you for your review, your comments are a great tool for us to enhance on.
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We booked using a "mystery accommodation" booking through Wotif. The room reflected the budget price, tired decor, double bed, misfit curtains, no spoon for the coffe/tea facility, carpet desperately needed replacing, multiple scorched/melted iron marks on the nylon carpet covering the suitcase ledge. Wi-fi limited to 20mins free per day and only from the reception lobby. Bar facilities nice. Dinning room dated but plesant. Food, buffet over cooked vegies, crackling salted to an inch of it's life, surimi cheap seafood, bulk bought-in dessert pav, cakes and slices, nothing original except the hot apple pie. We get considerably better quality at our local RSA and cheaper. On the plus side, swimming pool was great even thou a bit hot. Staff obliging and friendly, this includes housekeeping.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Than you kindly for your review. Your comments have been taken on board. Our hotel will be going through a mini refurb in mid March early April which should see a big improvement with some of our hotel decor. Your comments have been invaluable to us as a tool to move forward..Thank you again.