“Great value”

Ranked #85 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Brisbane, Australia
“Great value”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Room had been recently updated was very light and airy, very compatible bed. It's was an excellent stay. Staff gave great service and were very helpful,great breakfast the waiter was a credit to them . We would definitely book again.

Room Tip: Choose a room that has been updated
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. It is always a pleasure to hear we have reached standards we pride ourselves on.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Thai first
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I visit Rotorua 3 or 4 times a year to visit family/friends. About 2 years ago I went to the Kingsgate as my usual motel was full. I have used only the Kinsgate since that time as it is exceptional value for money; always clean to a high standard, and the staff cannot do enough to help. I have now made Millenium my preferred accommodation supplier throughout Australasia.I have only been disappointed once - the Copthorne in the Bay of Islands.Although I wrote twice expressing my concerns,I have never had a satisfactory outcome. It's now a 'Kingsgate' every stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cruising879
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear we have achieved our expectations of offering friendly service and services. We do pride ourselves on our customer service.
auckland
Reviewed August 29, 2012

made a booking on line for a bed and breakfast package and paid $99 for standard room. the room was clean and tidy a little old, but well worth the vaule paid. I found the staff to be very nice, front desk made me feel welcomed and resturant staff went out of their way to do all they could for us. Lovely outdoor pool and spa to soak in after a long day. Cheep rates and value for what you pay.

Room Tip: pay the extra $20 if you want a better room. standard room is exactly that a clean tidy room for th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and your generous comments. I have passed your comments onto those concerned.
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The room was old and smelly. The bed was hard, like sleeping on the flour. I could not sleep at all. We spent only one night. The service at front desk was below avarage. Consider the quality of the room and low tourist's season, room was overpriced. We stayed in two more Kingsgate chain hotels in NZ during our trip and have not been impressed eighter.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Alex O
Thank you for your invaluable comments. I have alerted departments to your concerns so we can concentrate of areas mentioned.

Travelers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Auckland
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Having just stayed at a lovely 5 star hotel in Bali, I knew I was in for a different standard, so here's my opinion for what it's worth. Whole building from reception to rooms, to level of service was definately very average if not a bit below for 3 star. Arriving in the early evening, my friend and I were advised not to park 'around the back' close to our room to unload our bags etc, as the lighting was bad, and it could be 'unsafe'. Not a great confidence building start!

Being fairly 'tough' girls we thought we would risk it. The reception lady - to her credit - organised to get a security guard to meet us at the door to ensure we were ok. Nice touch. However we decided to take her advice and once bags were offloaded we drove back around to the front of the complex to park the car overnight under the floodlights.

I had asked for a room with 2 seperate double beds, which we got along with another single bed. Personally I would rather have had the space or a dining type table there rather than another bed. The room was quite old and the furnishings were very worn and banged and bumped around a bit, but overall the room was fairly clean - especially the bathroom - which I was pleased about. The toiletries provided were satisfactory. On trying to use a hairdryer I found that one of the power sockets didn't work.

Breakfast was included in our package. and this was very average, but edible. The staff on the whole were pleasant and well meaning enough, but they lacked that type of hospitality and initiative that you just can't train to some people. I found myself having to prompt some staff to do stuff - like to provide a wine list or to get a drink, or to wipe down the table etc etc.

Because we had taken up a package deal as we were competing in a local 'Tough Guy n Gal Challenge' run race, we weren't too worried about where we stayed, but to be honest if I was going again I would go to a better 4 or 5 star hotel or motel - of which there looked like there were heaps of, just down the road. Maybe I'm just a hotel snob, but whether I'm spending $85 a night or $300 a night, I like a certain standard of room and service.

Room Tip: Would ask for a room in the newer part of the hotel at the front - not in the back rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We have taken your feedback and addressed all areas of concerns with Department Heads. We do appreciate guest responses as a tool to build on and with in areas that need attention. Your comments have been invaluable, thank you.
Omarama, New Zealand
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Its a terrible place .looks nice from the front.The room i had was terrible it didnt feel safe was very noisey and was very old and dingy the tv was bearly watchable the heater didnt work.
Value for money was bad.My advice go somewhere else.
I had a group of people i was touring and we all had the same experience.

Room Tip: Didnt stay for breakfast woke up early and left
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bmc75
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We do have plans to refurbish areas of the hotel in the not so distant future, and Tv's and furnishings are part of the expected upgrade.
Auckland
Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Went there as part of a group visiting Rotorua and we were all placed all over the hotel and I due the short straw and felt like I was the only one in my wing.

Room was tired and needed an upgrade the balcony well the noise from opening the deck door just put me of but overall the hotel showed its age. Not impressed overall

• Stayed March 2012
Thank you for your feedback. Your comments have been invaluable. We are in the not so distant future resuming our refurbishment within the older areas of the hotel.