“Tired motel but incredible views”

SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland
Ranked #89 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Tired motel but incredible views”
Reviewed April 29, 2006

We absolutely loved this motel but only because we had incredible views of the Pohutu Geyser and accompanying mud pools. It's a real shame that the owners don't make the most of their situation and improve the place.

The communal areas, stairs etc. are in quite a poor state of repair and, when we arrived, we weren't particularly impressed. But the room was perfectly comfortable and clean and the continental breakfast, delivered to our room as requested, was good.

The first evening, we dined in the motel restaurant, which was empty but actually very good. We didn't attend the motel's Maori hangi ceremony as they held it in a conference room and we didn't think it would be particularly authentic!

Don't expect this to be the nicest hotel you've ever stayed in but do enjoy the unique setting. The centre of Rotorua (a five minute drive away - not easily walkable, unfortunately) is really lovely and there is plenty in the area to keep you busy.

3 Thank cookie_82

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 20, 2006

I was very much looking forward to staying at this hotel. It did not have the best reviews, but I couldn't resist the idea of having a geyser-view. In fact, I paid more for this option. When we got there, I was very disappointed to say that our only view was of a big bush outside the door. We asked the front desk if it might be possible to switch to a room that actually had a view the next night. They replied that they would "see what they could do" and we were told to come back the next day. Eventhough I had paid for the view, I decided to let it go in the interest of not causing a problem. We eagerly went to check out the pool. It was very dirty. Also, the light did not work in the room with the hot tub and the hot tub had "stuff" floating in it. At this point we had decided that pool time was not going to happen, so we went out and enjoyed the city. We got back that night and when we turned on the light we had quite the surprise. A giant roach crawling on the wall. It didn't take long to find another one crawling by the bed. Not what I had expected for 120 dollars a night. We asked if we could check out, and we said that we thought it was unfair that we should have to pay for our room. They did not deny that they had a bug problem, in fact, confirmed that they had bugs and there was nothing they could do about it. The manager refused to believe we didn't have a view. He went to look at our room, and when he returned he started cursing at us and told us to just get out. This behavior was entirely unprovoked. In the end we were not charged, but it was a very bad experience. The view is the only thing this hotel has going for it, and you might not even get that.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 26, 2006

Had the honeymoon suite. Absolutely nothing special to make it a honeymoon suite. Had spa bath but only enough hot water for one bath then nothing in the taps.The rooms are tired, carpet stained, wallpaper peeling, shower head needs cleaning (not much water coming out). They sell wine from mini bar, but do not supply wine glasses unless specially requested. If you can get past all that, the view is good and staff are pleasant. Generally low grade hotel.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 15, 2006

You can't be the view from the back with the geyser smoking away and mud bubbling below. The room was tired and the whole hotel looks to be in need of some renovation but it was clean and adequate. We drove that afternoon, out of town about 30 minutes, to a thermal pool which was really nice. I noticed that they offered some sort of hot water treatment at the hotel.

Stayed January 2006
2 Thank lpennin104
Brisbane,Australia
Reviewed February 13, 2006

If you a looking for a fancy upmarket hotel in Rotorua then this is not it.
The Quality Hotel Regal Geyserland is just another average hotel, a little tired and in need of some work.
The thing it does have going for it are the views.
Located right next to one of the thermal parklands the views were amazing.
We upgraded to a bed and breakfast rate in one of the suites which faced the park for very little extra over the standard room. The room was on the top floor and while it was OK the bathroom did have a full size bath which can easily fit someone around 6ft without having to resort to body parts being out of the water. I advise anyone to do the upgrade.
It should also be mentioned that the hotel is on the main road into town so traffic noise did occasionally penetrate the room, especially when trucks went past. If you wanted to eat away from the property you would need a vehicle or it would be at least a 1/2 hour walk.
For a flying visit of Rotorua I honestly could not think of a better place to stay to get an authentic experience. Even if you normally stay somewhere upmarket consider the Regal Geyserland and enjoy a night of surreal visions out your hotel window.

3 Thank bneagt
Atlanta
Reviewed February 2, 2006

I chose the Geyserland as I was only in Rotorua for one day/night and mainly wanted to go to the Maori center next door to see the crafts school and the kiwis and with the online special I could get the geyser view with breakfast.

I left my bag at the motel and walked next door for the tour and midday welcome ceremony. It was great. The view of the geyser from the room was fantastic.

The room itself would rate maybe 2* in the US. Thin wooden doors, worn carpet, dingy bath, hard bed, broken elevator. Reminds me of many low priced motels in Florida or along the highway stops. Several guests were coming in with problems with keys, the exercise room, etc.

The front desk is not staffed at night. I left before breakfast started at 7am, so didn't get the full value of my rate. When I had to pay the night before leaving, she didn't plan to give me a receipt, just take my cash. I told her I either needed a receipt or give the cash back and take a credit card.

When I reported back from the Tamaki hangi, staff agreed they had the best food but a poor performance. They are recommending another place if people want better performance but less tasty food.

• Stayed January 2006
3 Thank Metwo3
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 6, 2006

My friend and I stayed here for two nights in October and loved it! Our room was lovely - two double beds, a television, safe and good bathroom and the hotel was really well located to see all the main attractions. The view from our balcony was outstanding! There was a large bubbling mud pool just outside and two erupting geysers which were amazing!
The staff were really friendly and helpful and gave us brilliant advice on what to see - On advice from reception we visited the Mitai tribe which was one of the best nights of our holiday! While the hotel restaurant was also excellent with a good bar and main menu.
If I were to go back to Rotorua I wouldn't stay anywhere else - it is brilliant value for money.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank chaela104
Greg W, Owner at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you for your positive review, Regards Greg