“Needs A LOT of improvement”

SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland
Ranked #89 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Needs A LOT of improvement”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

The only good thing good about this place was the service of the people at the reception. Our room was in very bad shape- no water kettle or telephone (luckily, neither were we in the mood for coffee, nor making calls). The bathroon was probably the most disgusting one I have ever seen in my life - it seemed like it had not been cleaned in weeks. One of the power plug boards in the bedroom was on the floor (literally, as it had been removed from the wall)- one of the worst health hazards ever! I am appalled at the lack of quality of housekeeping and the disregard for client safety, and at the fact that no one had noticed this before us, although it is right beside the bed.

Luckily, for us, we did not have a toddler crawling around and did not have high hopes for this hotel in the first place - it was simply a place for us to crash at night. Pat of this information was communicated to the manager so if you are reading this, Mr/ Ms Manager, please go and check all the rooms in the hotel for cleanliness and safety.

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool are fairly noisy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AshDSK
Greg W, Manager at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this review, June 25, 2014

We appreciate you have raised a number of housekeeping issues, we have not put in place a strict checking system, and I assure you this will not occur again

Thnak you

Kind Regards

Greg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Really disappointing walked out within half an hour of looking through room!!! Management when sent an email of complaint, gave an excuse for every short coming/problem that was bought up!! IF ONLY I READ THE OTHER 300 odd feedback comments left on various websites first!!!! It does not match the photos on website, the rooms are old, shabby, worn early 1980's bedding our bed squeeked and moved and was well worn, weeds over grown in our courtyard area, dirt all around taps, stained and old linen and towels WE LEFT DONT BOOK!!!!!

Room Tip: Not at this hotel at all!!!!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rachel W

Travelers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Rotorua
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The worst hotel I have stayed in. The bed sheets were dirty and stained. The carpet had dirty black patches all over it. The wallpaper was ripped and the curtains falling off the rails. The taps in the bathroom were dirty and black stained. The TV Ariel wire was hanging out of the wall which was extremely dangerous considering I had a child with me. The safe, wifi and TV did not work at all. I haven't taken lots of photographs to prove all of this information to be true. The views are beautiful but not worth the dirty uncomfortable stay we had.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 Thank Mary N
Whakatane, New Zealand
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My husband, son and myself stayed a night on Christmas night. The room was large with tea and coffee facilities. The view was nice but hey showering became a mission. Firstly there were three of us and only two bath towels. I went down to reception to get another but there was a sign up "Back in 5 minutes". After 15 minutes i gave up. Shower time with my half of the bath towel. The shower ran hot hot hot, no cold mixing so it was a lick and a promise from the bathroom sink, very unacceptable.

At 5.30 in the morning there was a bit of a commotion outside, popping my head outside the door I see a young man running down the line of rooms banging on each door with a medical mask on, very weird. He stopped when he saw me scowling at him.

To be fair, this is a cheap hotel that attracts clients with a the price. The old saying is your get what you pay for, I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Lynd4
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Its hard for me to say a bad word as we found all the staff very welcoming and lovely but I have to be honest and I hope the management read this and decide to be more honest about the facilties.

I was so disturbed by what I thought I was getting to what I actaully got! Yes its cheap but almost everything we wanted in a hotel was not operating. No TV, No spa, no sauna, pool, no bath (which I thought I booked), no kettle (although there was tea, sugar, coffee cups and teaspoons). I was so embarresed that I had booked our first family vacation at such an average spot. For over 15years we have been waiting to go for a holiday and splurge. So my concerns about the hotel are personal as they advertised one thing and gave another.
Luckily the man of the family thought it was funny that I had booked a dirty place, he is ok with average and it was me who was wanting nice. This is not my nice.

Now good feedback for the hotel, they cleaned the room daily (not to my standard though)and refreshed the towles, they are really lovley on reception, and the VIEW! Well if it hadnt of been for my pride and the view I would of taken my loss and rebooked somewhere else it was honestly just not a place I wanted to stay.

I really hope that they redo the asthetics of this place to maintain a resonable place to stay.

I also hope the management speak to all the online booking places and change the details to the hotel and update the images. Honesty is the best policy and I would not have been upset if I knew the acutal condition of the place. I would not have booked.

I wish you well in the future and hope you recieve this as constructive feedback. All the best

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank sezAuckland
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed December 10, 2013

This is an Old hotel, probably a very nice and good hotel by the moment it opened. Rooms were huge and tidy, but fairly old. There was no internet (it actually didnt reach most of the rooms) you could wifi in the lounge and the business rooms, however you had to pay for it. its right next to te puia and you can see the geisers, not from the 1st floor though. Beware of the smell almost all Rotorua smells like rotten eggs and this place being next to the thermal park sometimes stink. It has a pool and some nice conference rooms. We got a huge deal on the price, otherwise we wouldnt have stayed. I forgot to mention that the elevator is old and poorly maintained, it could have been part of a horror movie.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NeoAngelz
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Geyser facing room gives a spectacular view of Pohutu Geyser. Additional rate for the room is well worth it.
The rooms are mediocre and the lift did not work. As our room was on the third floor, it was an effort carting luggage up and down and hiking up at the end of the day. The breakfast was a facility but average.

Room Tip: Rooms on the highest floor give the best view of the Geyser.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Greg W, Owner at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
We appreciate your comments, Regards Greg