“awesome place!”

Ranked #89 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Otorohanga, New Zealand
“awesome place!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

this place was really lovely! my partner and myself stayed here for one night (wish it could of been more) we thoroughly enjoyed our view of the geyser right outside our bedroom, and the yummy spout pool! the young lady on the desk was so pleasant to us and very helpful and knowledgeable of the surrounding area. the sauna was amazing and very private i guess it may have been a quiet time of the year as we werent interrupted! check out was a reasonable time and we were very happy with the whole package. we believe that it is the staff that make for an enjoyable stay as it its welcoming and relaxing when your far away from home :) we look forward to visiting again!! cheers silver oaks!

Room Tip: a friendly staff member always does it for me!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Greg W, Manager at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you for the positive review, Regards Greg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Otorohanga, New Zealand
Reviewed March 17, 2013

There was a young woman on the desk that was very cheerful and helpful and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and felt very welcome, loved the spout pools and sauna, very romantic and restful stay ( : with a great view of the beautiful geyserland, would definately recommend this place to those wanting a warm welcome and help where needed, cant wait to visit again ( :

Room Tip: i think that all rooms over look the geyser! ( :
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the positive feedback, the Hotel is a great Hotel

Kind Regards

Greg
Waihi Beach, NZ
Reviewed March 15, 2013

You cant call this place a Hotel anymore. Was a great place 35 years ago when we were kids, but it is now so tired and run down. I have stayed in better backpackers!
I arrived at 10pm to check in, only to find the place locked up. No food available until breakfast that while ok, was slim on choice. If you wanted dinner, it was served between 6.30 -7.30pm. Far too early when one is out running or mountain biking in the nearby forest. And it was no loss missing it as it was totally plain.
The room while overlooking the thermal field, was run down. Missing light bulbs, lifting wallpaper, broken shower fan that screams when turned on and a bed that is out of the ark.
On arrival, I discovered a very large black hair across my pillow. NICE...NOT!! The bed is a very small double size and sagging in the middle from over use. Don't expect SKY television on the ancient 16 inch square box called the television. Sat on the one seat in the corner and my rear nearly touched the ground.
Reported the fan issue and was informed that it was on the list for replacement. Four days later and still no action. Could hear the neighbours fan screaming too. The sulphur is hard on everything. No money spent on maintainance is the place.
Spa pools were locked so can't comment, although the outside pool was very chilly and covered in leaves. Don't think the sauna and indoor spa have gone for years.
Stayed 4 nights and the room was serviced daily (new towels/ rubbish emptied) although the bed was only made on two occasions?? Left sock fluff on carpet at the end of the bed on day one, and to no suprise, it was still there when checking out. Very minimal servicing.

Best think about this hotel......leaving it!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel and save writing yet another bad review.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Shane B
SophieAuckland, Manager at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback.

Thank you for advising us the bathroom fan is very noisey, we were not aware of this and have now arranged for it to be replaced.

We also appreciate advising us the TV aerial has been pulled from the wall, we have also repaired this.

We understand that you checked into the Hotel after 10pm, the office does close out 10pm, but to the left of the reception door is a night bell that is attended to 24 hours, so we can always be contacted.

Once again thank you for your feedback

Travelers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Everything Alistair H says in his 19th Feb 2013 review is true and we stayed in a different room to them (811) but the same standards must apply throughout.

In a nutshell, STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Note to manger: seriously, Sir. Take a look at the place. Go room by room and do some maintenance. You will eventually lose business as more people rely on travellers reviews. You won't be able to keep up your profits long term unless you improve. And do it for your own self respect. The place is an embarrassment to you. Maybe this is the nudge you need to change careers and do something you really love...!

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank HayleyBabe
SophieAuckland, Manager at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

The Hotel is in a fantastic loacation, and is perhaps one of the best locations in Rotorua. We take great pride in the Hotel, and we do have a very caring and efficient team.

We do welcome you back to the Hotel in the future, we are always carrying out improvements to the Hotel
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Nice view of the thermal pools and geysers. The girl at reception was helpful but the motel was terrible. Nose picking on the blankets and tiles off the walls in the bathroom- ideal for backpackers :)

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank HolidayBooking
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I don't even know where to begin to describe my total and utter dissatisfaction with our accommodation.

It started the minute we got there, being greeted by a rude pompous person who I imagine is the manager, saying "Hello and Goodbye" as we had arrived before our room was ready. We arrived at 1pm and our reservation very clearly states we can check in from 12pm. When we were allowed to go up to our room, the door was open and a cleaning lady kept coming in and out for a few minutes.The view from our balcony was amazing, but we definitely had to open the ranch slider as we couldn't see the view through the disgustingly dirty windows.

We left at this point to do our other activities and returned at about 4:30pm that afternoon. Decided to go for a spa/sauna/spout pool to no avail. Apparently only one out of the 4 spout pools were working. This one working spout pool was in use for an hour by 'whoever' was using it. Reception said they would call us when the key had been returned so we could use it. We then decided to use the spa spool and sauna. Walked into the section of the pool where this was located and both were out of order and not working. At this point we decided to go back to our room and watch TV while waiting for the call about the spout room key.

In our room, I turned the TV on to discover that we must have booked the only place in the entire city that does not have SKY tv! At least we bought wine with us which we could drink while we waited for our phone call as we weren't planning on going out again as we had planned to eat at the in house restaurant or at least order room service. After an hour, we decided to call reception to find out where the key was. Our phone did not work. We tried re plugging it in, still no dial tone. At this point also noticed the alarm clock was not working. We then walked back down to reception to enquire about the spout pool key, only to be told it should be back within 5 minutes and to dial 0 on the phone and wait 20 seconds for ringtone / or wait 20 seconds for ringtone, then dial 0. We tried both, still didn't work.

10 Minutes later we went down to reception AGAIN to ask about the key. This time the lady at reception called the same pompous manager we had met when we first got there. He rudely informed us that he was also looking for the key as they had no idea who had it. Insinuating there was no system managing the use of these pools and they only had ONE key for the ONE working spout pool. Laughable. He then told us he would ring us when it turned up. I told him our phone wasn't working, to which he rudely replied that he would bring it up to us and had not forgotten about us and made us feel like we were in the wrong and inconveniencing him!! At this point I noticed a sign at reception apologising for the fact that the restaurant would not be open that evening! So we were forced to have to eat somewhere else.

We then decided not to wait for the imaginary key to the imaginary spout pool and go out for dinner. We both showered in a disgusting cesspit disguised as a shower. We really need to have a shower elsewhere after having a shower in our room. We then went out to dinner and returned at 9:30pm, we again enquired about the mythical spout pool key, which as it turns out had now simply disappeared.

Again, went back to the room to watch one of the 3 or 4 channels that had nothing good on. We looked for information regarding breakfast times the next day only to discover that other than a wine list, the was absolutely NO information on the facilities, location, area or anything AT ALL!! Went to bed, tried to close the door between the kitchen and the main door, but it didn't close all the way, so the bright light outside our room was annoyingly able to shine directly into our room to make sleeping in this dirt infested room slightly more uncomfortable. Woke up early to make sure we would be in time for breakfast as we had no idea from what time it would be available as there was no information given to us verbally or in writing about this.

I walked down to the breakfast room to be greeted by the same pompous manager again. I asked what time breakfast would be available until, to which he rudely and sarcastically replied "(:15, maybe 9:20, but by 9:30 I will definitely have packed up". We returned to have our breakfast. This same person then looked at us expectantly with his note pad and pen not saying anything. I told him I wasn't sure what he wanted to know, but we were from room 821 and wanted breakfast. He said 'Yes...' and waited. He was being so rude! Then he asked "What would you like?". I said I was led to believe it was a buffet breakfast and didn't realise I had to order. He then said we could chose between cooked or continental. My partner did not know what continental meant and asked about it, to which he made her feel real small and like an idiot for not knowing what it meant and smirked and laughed at her! I said we would have two cooked breakfasts and went to sit down.

We then dished up our cooked breakfast, which consisted of disgusting scrambled eggs that I was lucky enough to discover had shells in it, very cold and greasy bacon, something that resembled sausages and other things I couldn't stomach to even put on my plate. I also got a coffee, thinking how bad can the coffee be. Well, it was quite possibly he worst coffee I have ever had in my life.

Breakfast was disgusting. We went back to our room to pack and leave. While I was in the bathroom, with the door open, a cleaning lady simply OPENED the door to come in, before closing it after realising we were still in there! There was no KNOCKING!!

On checking out we were then told we had to pay for the breakfast, to which I replied that my booking included cooked breakfast. The lady argued with me and said it was not possible as they only offer continental breakfast with those deals and then asked me for my booking form, which I said I did not have. She then spent 5 seconds looking for our booking form to notice that I was correct and we had paid for a bed and breakfast deal including cooked breakfast. Shouldn't this have been done before accusing us of being wrong and trying to make us pay for something we shouldn't have???

Your website advertises your facilities as follows :

Fully licensed restaurant and bar
Room service
Telephone and TV in every room
Guest laundry
Off-street parking
Courtesy transfer service (subject to availability)
Fax and office facilities available
High chairs available
Disabled facilities
All major credit cards accepted
Weekend and holiday rates available
Four conference/meeting rooms with full technical facilities for 5 to 150 people
Swimming pool
Spout pools
Spa and sauna
Gymnasium
Traditional maori concert party and hangi (feast)

We had no:
WIFI
Mini Bar
Queen Bed
12pm Checkin
Traditional maori concert party and hangi (feast)

Our room description was as follows : The suites overlook the world famous Whakawerawera Thermal Reserve. The rooms comprise queen and single bed, tea & coffee facilities, wireless internet, ensuite with bath/ shower, mini bar, comfortable chairs, iron and ironing board

In summary, our room was dirty, the bathroom disgusting, the windows couldn't even be seen through with all the dirt on them. There was rubbish in the drawers and no information in the room regarding room service or any service, including the wifi connection or how we would connect to the free wifi. This must also be the only place we could possibly book in Rotorua where we could not have a spa or watch SKY tv. The service we received was pathetic, incompetent and rude and we most certainly did not get what we paid for or what we would reasonably expect to receive based on your advertising

Room Tip: IF you stay here, ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the geyser - this would be the only reas...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Alistair H
Thank you for providing such a detailed feedback, we do appreciate the time you have taken to provide such a detailed feeback.

I do feel it is fair to say that you do appear to have misinterpreted comments made to you by the Manager. The comments were meant in a friendly and welcoming way, they were not meant is the way you have clearly taken them. For example when you arrived to check in at 1pm we do agree the Manager said "Welcome and Good bye", if you quoted the full text he then went on to say your room was not ready and offered the lounge for you to wait in whilst the room was completed, it is hard to explain this over an email, but please do accept that it was not meant in a rude way it was meant in a friendly and relaxed manner, it was certainly not meant literally in the way you are trying to imply is welcome now goodbye.

Is does seem that every time you spoke to the Manager, his comments were interpreted in the literal sense, certainly no offense was intended. I understand the Manager was walking through the restaurant at 9.15am and you approached him, instead of the waiter, to ascertain the time the restaurant closed, again he responded to your request by saying that the staff are normally out of her by 9.30am, perhaps he could have responded to your more formally, but he felt that the style was fitting.

No offense was intended towards you, sometimes a Manager has to use a different approach to each customer to make them feel welcome, and clearly our Manager made the wrong approach to you. We do assure you he was just trying to be welcoming and friendly, him comments were not meant to be taken as literal.

It is fairly clear that the Manager did not make a good impression on you, and as a result perhaps everything just seemed to go wrong for you.

On the night you stayed two of the spout pools were out of action, the other two spout pools were in use, and perhaps in continual use, Prior to your comments we had been relaxed with the spout pools by not setting times on usage, as a result of your comments we are now setting a 30 minute use of the pools to ensure a fair usage.

We do try to accommodate and weclome all guests, and unfortunately we were not able to get it right this time for which we are sorry.

Once again thank you for your comments
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This place was the worst experince I have ever had with accomdation. The staff where rude and did not provide the service that they had in there book. They stated that the rooms where clean there was mould in the shower and soap scum on the door. The carpet was pulling up which I tripped on and the carpet was dirty. The staff did'nt care and did'nt try to fix the situation. The motel it self and outdoor yard was not maintained at all.

Room Tip: Dont go here
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Honeymooners151
SophieAuckland, General Manager at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
We do appreciate your valued feedback.

I am very disappointed that you felt the staff were not helpful, we do value all our customers and the staff normally do go out of their way to help all guests.

We are surprised about the comment you made about the grounds, the lawn is mowed twice a month, and at this time of year it does not grow very much, so it is well maintained.

We will raise your comments with our housekeeping department.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback