“Great Geyser View but that's it!”

SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland
Ranked #89 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We only stayed one night but that was plenty. The geyser view is fabulous but what a shame the owners have let this place get so run down. It's obvious the owners couldn't care less, either. We arrived at our time to check-in and we were told we had to come back in another hour or so but the next moning when it was not even time to check out yet, the housekeeping crew kept knocking on the door on several occasions. The room is fairly clean but soooo dated and falling apart. The backing on drapes was cracked and peeling off when you closed them. Everywhere we stayed in New Zealand in a period of almost a month had a small unopened container of fresh milk in the little refrigerators which is such a lovely custom and one we appreciated. NOT AT GEYSERLAND. Here there was a large container of milk that was already opened and half gone. How do we know if the last person who had the room drank directly from the carton? So unpleasant. The lights in the room were all very large bulbs with no shades so if you turn one on to read you are practically blinded. The bathroom was newer and quite clean. The room was a decent size but several electric outlets were broken and the fan hung at a very crooked angle and wobbled. We were quite warm in the room but were concerned about the way the fan was turning making quite a noise.We had read the awful reviews before we made a reservation here but we were excited to see a geyser so hoped everyone was exaggerating. They were not. They were right on target. What a waste of a great location and view.

Room Tip: The tip is: Find another hotel !
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Donna H
There are newer reviews for SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland

Reviewed November 15, 2012

The views from some of the rooms in this hotel are fantastic - looking straight onto a big geyser. But apart from that, there's not much else good about it!

Rooms are a bit shabby and not very well equipped. Worst of all is the attitude of the owner/manager - we borrowed a couple of towels to take to the spa for the morning and when we returned at lunchtime, he said he was very unhappy about it and was very rude! But to make it worse, the towels are awful anyway! The breakfast staff were also very miserable and couldn't spare a smile, but i guess that's because they were also being told off by the owner!

I think this is a big difference between this poor quality hotel with an attitude problem and the more friendly establishments in town where staff can't do enough for you.

If i had the choice again, i'd pick a better value, friendly option that's located in town, rather than this outdated place that's a fair drive from the town centre anyway.

Note to staff: a smile goes a long way! Remember that people are on holiday and want to enjoy themselves, not be told off or grumbled at!

Room Tip: If you are staying here - make sure you get a Geyser-view room. The others aren't worth your con...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here the other night... Such a shame the hotel has an AMAZING view and location.. Such great potential.

No local information in the rooms and everything's a bit dirty and very dated.

Went to watch TV and it wouldn't work saying "no reception" and despite checking everything ourselves still wouldn't work. We informed reception and were basically told they didn't care. As we had planned a night in.. With no working radio or tv it was a bit boring.

My friend commented at night that she felt bugs crawling on her.. I told her not to be silly. Then I woke up with bites ALL over my feet, legs and torso.

At checkout I showed the boy at reception (who was very nice) my bites and said I wasn't happy. He said "I don't know what to do... " and informed me the owner had just gone out I should email them. I left my phone number for the owner to call me when he got back. No call. So I emailed... No response.
Shocking service and I'm still itchy and horrible!!!'

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Hayley S
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This location should have a fabulous hotel but, this one isn't it. Our reservation was mixed up. The staff we met were almost all on their first day, that says a lot. The room we ended up with was overlooking the parking lot. The room was pretty awful and if we were going to be staying any longer than the two nights, we would have had to find another lodging. Oh well on to the bar that overlooks the mud pit. Again first day, and problems. Just a note, if the staff doesn't look up when people enter the premises, it speaks volumes about the atmosphere and the expectations you have are going to disappointed.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms in the newer wing, it will be your only hope. But, be aware that the mud pit is pr...
Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2012

As other reviewers have noted, the SilverOaks Geyserland is rundown. The old hotel name on the brow of the building had missing letters - a dead giveaway that the property has seen better days! However, my room was clean and spacious and I had an unrestricted view of the nearby geyser and boiling mud pool. The staff were friendly and I thought that the tariff (AU$51 per night though Expedia) was pretty good value. I was a bit annoyed that two minor maintenance concerns were not attended to during my stay. However, I still think that SO-G was quite satisfactory for a short stay in Rotorua.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed here several nights at the start and the end of my recent trip to New Zealand. They do have a pothole in the parking lot and it's an older hotel but, very good value and a great view of the geysers and mud pools. The front desk clerks and maids were all very friendly. You do need to be near the lobby for wifi though.

Room Tip: Ask for the view if it's important to you.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Greg W, Owner at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Thank you for the positive review, Regards Greg

Reviewed October 13, 2012

i bought this deal for my room through wotif.it couldnt have gone any smoother.my room was on the bottom lvl.i walked out my large back glass doors straight over to the bubbling mudpools ,and geyser directly behind them.the young man on the desk was friendly and helpful.the only downer was that the room was outdated in colours, fittings,appliances.structure.but the room was still very comfortable and warm and the bed i slept in was soo comfortable

Room Tip: a floor lvl room across from the mudpools is scenically ideal if u can get past the sulpher smell
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family