“wouldn't go back”

Ranked #89 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Christchurch, New Zealand
“wouldn't go back”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The service here was really quite bad. The receptionists were consistantly rude and did not apologise at any point for their numerous mistakes. We visited the spa pool which was filthy and had beer bottles scattered in the bottom. We reported this to reception who assured me this would be sorted out. We then visited the spa pool a few days later and we found it in the same state except there was a pair of mens underwear to greet us. The housekeeping was less than up to scratch, the tea and coffee was not re-stocked and we often were given less towels than we should have had. Due to renovations one day of our visit we were told we had to walk to the other hotel for breakfast and were not given directions and no transport was provided. I would not recommend this hotel unless your wanting to learn how a hotel should NOT be run!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
SophieAuckland, Owner at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Thank you for your feedback.

We recently closed our restaurant for four days whilst we carried out a refurbishment of the Kitchen, over the four days the kitchen was painted, all the flooring was replaced and equipment was updated. We do apologise for the inconvience this caused.

We had arranged for our guests to go to the SilverOaks Resort Heritage for breakfast and dinner over these four days.

Our staff are very friendly, and do try to assist guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Given the rate I'm paying for this accommodation, I wasn't going to expect the standards of the five star hotels like the Hilton and the Intercontinental. I expected and am receiving 3 to 3.5 star standard accommodation. And that's not a bad thing. The rooms are clean, the receptionist helpful and the beds are comfortable. Yes, the hotel looks a little worn and could probably do with a refurbishment - but that is cosmetic and doesn't affect the comfort. The view is the main reasons to stay here - the geyser is spectacular!!!! The hotel is a little bit further out of the city centre than I am used to, but since I have a car, this really isn't an issue. You do need earplugs if you are a light sleeper - the noise from the road is considerable. But, all things considered, given the cost and the view, I'm happy to come back.

• Stayed August 2011
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Booking into hotel meet friendly receptionist just happened to mention that he thought the hotel was haunted we thought this was a little strange but decided to stay on for the time we booked. On last full day of our stay I was left at the hotel but was awoken by a noise as the hairdryer had somehow turned on by itself I got up and turned it off and didnt think much of it until I went to the shop making sure I closed the door as my partner had the key and came back finding the door open and wasn't the cleaner as she had already been. We left a night earlier than we were supposest to. This incident lead to an unpleasant stay

• Stayed July 2011

Travelers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Auckland
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We initially booked via Wotif for 2 nights, had to stay one night earlier and booked this by phone and email. Well, this booking while confirmed via email etc didnt get passed to reception and when we turned up no bookings available except the Wotif ones the following night. Evidently if you make internet bookings and there is no rooms available the actual hotel have to find you another room at another hotel at their cost but as I did it direct we were 'roomless' that night. We were shown room 706 after much stalling and this was dirty, had 2 huge holes in the wall, one where the tv had been and the other where the fridge had been. Room 706 looked like it was from a horror movie, wall paper peeling off the walls, dank, and the receptionist quietly told us there is a few rooms which they dont let since they pillage them when things go wrong in other rooms. The relief manager was very much like a character from "League of Gentlemen" and not helpful and actually appeared to be enjoying our discomfort However he eventually offered to find us a fridge and a tv and even some pottles of milk. We decided to go elsewhere that night.

When we checked in the following morning I reinstated that room 706 was totally unacceptable and the relief manager remarked "well, the next family who used it last night thought it was great value". I guess Saturday nights can be desperate at times.

The staff servicing the units were great, couldnt do enough to assist, however the relief manager couldnt help with the baggage since he had a hernia and there was no one else to help. There was no SKY channels and the curtains were hardly 'blackout', just cream thin curtains which allowed all the light in.

The view was what we came for, and yes it was superb but the room was on an angle, and it looked like a 6:1 slope from the window to the rear wall. "We laid a glass of water and what an angle! We had to put pillows down the side of the bed parallel with the window and using the only chair in the room propping it up so the child didnt fall off in the night. The toilet door didnt close because of this angle and a good 3 inch gap present when the door was 'closed'.

I have stayed at this hotel often over the years but sadly never again. Why the owners dont rip it down and build a spectacular zillion star hotel there is beyond me.

The potholes around the hotel are also pretty deep and wide. I have read they cant fix these potholes as thermal activity destabilizes them. Surely they could place large metal plates over these potholes? The outdoor pool was not heated and the spout pools are not thermal but doable on a cold freezing day and appeared reasonably clean. We didnt eat there and their gym was 'closed' and their 'business centre' was a joke - nothing inside but abandoned boxes and what looked like a broken table upside down.

In the room there were no plates, just glasses, mugs, 2 teaspoons and 1 tea towel. Apart from the beds (3) there was no table or chairs except the one chair we used for propping up the pillows for the bed. Lots of space for table and chairs. I guess there were no tables or chairs since everything would roll off the surfaces.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Prague
Reviewed July 16, 2011

I selected the hotel for a weekend breakup due to its location. Facing the geothermal park with the Pohutu geyser right in front of my balcony. And with rented car no problem to be in the city center or at other natural attractions nearby. However, the hotel has its best time gone. The room was large and enough clean and comfortable. Central heating was obviously powered by geothermal energy (nicely hot). But certain renovation is needed, carpets and wall paintings are a bit old, smudgy and splotchy. A bit noisy in the night from the main road. The staff in restaurant (two fellows) was nice and friendly, but the two young girsl at the front desk were quite bored by the off-peak season. Wi-fi was not for free, but for 10 NZD you can use it without limits. Although signal did not reach my room.

Room Tip: Ask upper floor, close to lift. These have good view of the geyser.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
New Zealand
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Just wanted to write a review on the restaurant as we had such good service. My partner and I had dinner there. The food was lovely and the staff were attentive and friendly. The managers came over to speak with us and to check all was fine. We had a very pleasant evening and thought if that is the standard, it should be a good place to stay. Its a bit dated but this would not be a reason not to stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Dirty bathroom with growth around the tap; used towel and shampoo packet on top of the soap pump in the shower; dirty and non-matching towels in the bathroom; a blood-stained pillow; worn carpet and decor from the 70s's; terribly over priced meals... and the list goes on. I thought I might catch something from staying there and checked out as soon as I possibly could in the morning!

Room Tip: There are plenty of competition in Rotorua!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank mwu014
Greg W, Manager at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
We are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay in 2011.

There have been a number of changes at the Hotel, and I am certain you will see the improvements, we do hope we can accommodate you again in the future

Kind Regards