“Ideal”

SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland
Ranked #89 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed April 28, 2011

The main reason for staying at this hotel was for the view of the Pohutu Geyser. This in itself would normally cost around $40, but the rates for the hotel are not inflated because of this, and are still at the low end for Roturua.
The only problem is that some of the rooms do not have a view of the geyser which would upset someone expecting this. I would suggest that the hotel increase the rates for the rooms with a view by 10% and reduce the rates for the rooms without a view by 10% to keep everyone happy.
We had a room with a view which is worth every cent.
The room itself was clean and comfortable. This is an old hotel with old decor, but the room and bathrrom had been modestly renovated.
The restaurant was very quiet, which in my opinion is not a good endorsement from the locals, and I didn not try it. Although I was not staying during the weekend, when I was assured that it gets busier.
Breakfast was continental. Hot breakfast was $20. One of my dislikes is hotels that include 'breakfast' in the rate and then charge for hot breakfast. I suggest two rates, one for breakfast (hot) and one for room only.
The pothole is still in the carpark and I had no problems negotiating it.
I would suggest this hotel to anyone on a budget. It is not a 5 star hotel, nor does it claim to be. For romantic couples on honeymoom etc, it is a little bit outdated, but if you don't mind this (ie second honeymoon for someone married in 1975), it is perfect.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank OzzieBen

Reviewed April 16, 2011

The view from the rear of the hotel is amazing, it's basically why you stay there! The rooms are simple, but I found them clean, and comfortable enough. My friends used the private pools, which they didn't charge us for, which are basically baths fed by the thermal water.

Room Tip: Request a back room with a view of the geyser
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2011

We recently spent two nights at this hotel in Rotorua during our holiday in North Island and were very disappointed with the standard of the room and hotel in general. We chose the hotel based on the description and attractive images on their website but having read some of the reviews posted on the Internet we called from UK ahead of our holiday and spoke to your reception staff to ask if there was any substance to the reports. I was assured that the criticism was unwarranted and that if I didn't like it I could always check out after one night! True, but hardly reassuring. Nonetheless, as our plans were fairly advanced we decided not to change to another hotel.
Unfortunately only the view from the balcony of our room (844) and the surprisingly comfortable bed were saving graces.

I shall list the things that I would not expect to find in any hotel, especially not one boasting 3 to 4 stars.
Room
Bathroom extractor grille filthy Shower curtain old & worn Mould/filth on taps Mould on shower head Dirty rubber plugs with broken chains
Damaged bath surface Damaged bathroom door (loose edging strip and hole) Cracked bathroom tiles No 'Do not disturb' sign
Worktop in hall - edge strip missing Wallpaper torn (various places) Curtains old/dirty/worn Furniture tops scratched/marked
Ceiling fan switch broken No chairs or dresser stool Ceiling damaged Old TV showing only 4 channels

General
Worn stair carpets Trip risk from torn carpets at lift doors Deep potholes in car park with steel pole protruding could damage cars
Guest Laundry washing machine out of order (filled to brim with water) - reported to reception who promised to get manager to look but no change 24hours later
Filthy strip light diffuser in laundry Cobwebs in stairs, unmaintained paintwork
Gym not in use.
Expensive guest internet ($5/half hour) compared to other hotels.
All in all I would say that ythis hotel is suffering from lack of maintenance and investment the reception staff were polite but disinterested (while I was waiting to check out a guest rang to request some toilet paper be sent to their room. The receptionist asked him to call another extension to speak to housekeeping because she was busy! At the guest's obvious insistence she did eventually agree to make the call for him. This is not what I would have wanted my guests to hear!)
I struck up a conversation with another guest who was also checking out who had similar opinions of the standard. Although it may be some time before we are able to visit New Zealand again (a wonderful, vibrant, welcoming country) we will think twice about staying at a Silver Oaks hotel.

In conclusion I would say that, considering its location adjacent to the geysers, this hotel does not make the most of its potential and in our opinion barely rates two stars.

Room Tip: check room before checking in
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
SophieAuckland, Owner at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, we appreciate both your positive and less positive comments as it does help us to improve our service to our customers.

We are pleased to hear that you appreciated the view from your balcony, it does provide an amazing view over the Pohutu Geyser. We thank you for your positive comments about our comfortable beds.

We have had a look at the extractor grill, we did find the grill to be clean and free of any dust, but what you can see are marks on the metal grill, this is not actually dirt it is just a result of the metal reacting with the Sulphur.

We note that you felt the shower curtain was old and worn, on inspection of the curtain it was very clean.

We understand that you felt the taps and the shower head had mould on them, we assure you the certainly do not. The chrome bath taps and shower head are etched from the effects of the sulphur. They can certainly be replaced, but you would find within two months the same effect will occur.

The chain on the hand basin plug was broken, and we have requested the Maintenance Person to fix this.

We do not believe that the bath surface is damaged, however we would agree that a rubber mat should be supplied in the bathroom for added protection of guests.

We are not sure why you felt the bathroom door was damaged, we have requested the Maintenance person to check the door and make sure it shuts correctly.

We have supplied a new do not disturb sign to the room, this had not been replaced by the Room Attendant who cleaned the room.

We do accept that the wooden furniture does have some scratches on it, to resolve this problem we need to sand and re varnish the tops, according to our records this was last carried out just over one year ago, and we will need to get this done again.

The smoke detector in the room had to moved within the room to meet the fire regulations, the detector was found to be slightly in the wrong position, hence there is a small hole in the ceiling where they moved the detector. The maintenance person is filling these holes, which is the size of a wire.

General

We are not sure where you found a trip risk from the lift, the lift exits onto green felt and moves onto painted concrete. We will check to see if any of the felt has moved.

In relation to the pot hole, you must be referring to the hole in the entrance. This is a continual problem to us, we have filled the hole with concrete, loose metal and still the hole comes back. The reason for this is that we are aware there is a level of thermal activity under the carpark where the pot hole is. So every time we full the hole within 2-3 weeks the hole is back. We thank you for pointing this out to us and we will just need to find a better solution.

I am sorry to learn that the washing machine was out of order, but I am assured by the Maintenance Person that it was repaired.

I am most concerned that you found the receptionist to be polite but came across disinterested, this is certainly not what we want to portray and we will raise this with all our reception staff in a positive manner.

Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Reviewed February 28, 2011

Lets start with the positive :D The view was awesome, except that all the tourists look up into your room!
My husband and I stayed here as we had saved for a weekend away from the kids, I walked into our room and cried! Very dated, is the best way to describe it.
All is not lost I thought! Getting my togs ready to soak in a spa, went to ring reception to find out what the spout pools were, but hello..... no information on how to ring them....(wondered how you were meant to order room service?) so we walked down to reception as we had to ask about our breakfast that was meant to be included, (we didn't worry about it at check in, as we presumed info would be in our room)

The girl at the desk, told us we had to pay $5 for a key to use the spout pools.... we didn't bother as we had spied a lovely pool with a spa on the way..... Asked about our breakfast, and she said "oh you need this piece of paper, take it with you in the morning"

Off we went to soak in the spa, WRONG, it was empty and filthy, checked the pool.. cold, checked the little pool attached to the bigger pool, cold. GUTTED.

Two things we booked here for room service, and the spa, neither were functioning!

So then we come to going to bed.... we ended up in separate beds as the roll together was unbearable.
The carpet was lifting from all around the edges, the fridge was not on, the plug for the kettle didn't work.

In the morning we got up and went down for breakfast, we were told we could upgrade to a cooked breakfast for $5 each, we thought that sounded great so we accepted.
It was all COLD, cold hash browns, cold baked beans, luke warm sausages, again we were devastated!

We were meant to have a late check out of mid day, at 10.15am a cleaner came, so we packed up and left, horrible!

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I booked this hotel with some trepidation after reading the scathing reviews online, but I knew the location and was very keen for the view.
I think the other travellers are very harsh.
Yes it is tired and faded and needs new carpets and fresh paint, but we paid less than $200 for 2 rooms for one of the most amazing views on the planet. That's not much more than backpacker rates! What on earth do people expect for the money. It was clean-eventually- and the few issues we had were quickly and politely resolved. (One of the bathrooms had been overlooked in the cleaning)
If I was planning a honeymoon and want a luxurious room, no don't go there,
BUT
if you are there to experience the wonders of Rotorua, ignore the dated bedspreads and curtains and soak up the view- it was mesmerising.
Even the walkway of the other side of the room had spectacular lake view.
There are rooms for $1800pn available in this city, I bet I had a better location.

Would I go back.. yes tomorrow.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Jennymac1274
SophieAuckland, Owner at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2011

Thank you for your feedback, fantastic to hear you had a great stay, and enjoyed the fantastic view

Reviewed January 20, 2011

The only redeeming feature of this hotel is the view. If not for that we wouldn't have stayed more than one night. The furniture is shabby and tatty, the matresses saggy and ancient. The blankets are just rough cuts of material and the linen, although clean, is so old it is an unsavoury shade of off white. Appliances don't work, the shower is disgusting and the whole place needs a lot of money spent on it. The staff are friendly and helpful on the whole, although we were told when we couldn't connect to an outside line that there was nothing they could do as their phones at reception work fine. It is outrageous that this hotel charges hotel fees for backpacker quality rooms.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank imogenw
SophieAuckland, Owner at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2011

Thank you for your feedback, we do appreciate your positive feedback and also the negative comments. The Hotel does offer an incredible view over the Pohutu Geyser and we are proud of our staff. We are disappointed to read your comments about the quality of the bed, and we have decided to replace a few of the beds to ensure all the beds do offer a high quality rest.

Reviewed January 18, 2011

This hotel is in a great location but its current neglected standard really lets in down. Never-the-less, I found the staff very helpful, the restaurant and food were great but the only good thing about our room was the view. The hotel is in need of a good sprucing up. The gym equipment was broken, no soap or shampoo in the room, just a lavatory standard soap despenser, pot holes in the driveway and carpark and broken a grotty tiles in the bathroom. Even the name of the hotel that sits on the roof is missing letters. This is seen by thousands of visitors each day to the geyserland park and automatically gives people a bad impression of the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback, we do appreciate both your positive and negative comments. We agree with you the view from the room is fantastic, and we are the only Hotel that offers that view. We also thank you for your comments about our staff.

We do appreciate that there are two pot holes in the car park, this is a continual problem for the Hotel, as we are in a thermal area, and there is activity under the ground. As soon as we fill one pot hole another one will appear, this is a factor of the location of the Hotel.

We are very disappointed you found a cracked tile in the bathroom, all the bathrooms have recently been tiled, so this should not have occurred, we appreciate the fact you have pointed this out to us and we will have our maintenance person repair this.

Thank you for your comments about our restaurant, we wish you a fantastic holiday and safe return to Australia.