“Great family activity!”

Horse Trekking Lake Okareka
More attraction details
Owner description: At Horse Trekking Lake Okareka you can explore 1500 acres of rolling sheep and cattle producing farmland on horseback. You will go on a guided trek through 500 acres of native bush between the volcanic Lake Okareka, Lake Tarawera and the famous Blue and Green Lakes. We have horses to suit all abilities. This is a horse rider’s paradise with stunning panoramic views. We cater for small groups of 1 – 12 people providing you with an exclusive riding experience.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My family took the one hour ride which included nice views of the lake and provided a relaxing family activity. The horses were well matched to our ability levels and helmets/rainwear is available if necessary. We greatly enjoyed our guides who shared their knowledge of the area, as well as being just generally fun to talk to! Thank you!

All reviews
in 36 reviews
in 66 reviews
in 36 reviews

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Thank you Lucy and Jenny for making our horse trek memorable. It was a beautiful crisp Rotorua day and the scenery was awesome. The hroses were well suited to us novice riders and Jenny was a great guide. Thank you.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Great experience, lovely way to see the lake area of Rotorua, with a good view of Mt Tarawera at the top. Meander through a country lane, then up a steep bush track, through farmland, and finally the peak of a hill for a stunning view. Our guides were new to NZ so didn't quite have the usual tour guide speeches prepared, but as a local I quite liked the peace and quiet. The land is quite hilly and the horses handled it well. The guides provided options for more experienced riders, and the lesser experienced ones were well looked after. If you are nervous on hills, or want more local history, this may not be the experience for you. If you enjoy riding, scenery, and a fun time, this is a good option and I prefer it to another horse ride I did in Rotorua a few years ago

1  Thank intrepidgirl09
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The horses are in a great shape, they are being well fed, groomed and taken care after which to my opinion is very important at a horse trekking business.

The variety of the treks is another big plus! I have been on the 1,5 and 2 hour treks and they are stunning! The treks have a ride up through the bush as well as breathtaking view up on the pasture and the lake(s). Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to go on the even longer treks but the farmland looks splendid everywhere!

Lucy is a warm-hearted person and fantastic for the customers, her woofers and the horses. She knows a lot about the farmland and shares this information with joy. I enjoyed both treks I went on incredibly in conclusion: the treks are an acitivy you'll never forget and I highly recommend them.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Awesome scenery and great horses for all levels. The farm that you trek on is very scenic with gorgeous views of lake Okareka and Lake Tarawera including Mt Tarawera, probably some of the best scenery in the Bay of Plenty region. Lots of opportunities for trotting and cantering if you want to and very capable horses. I've been twice and planinng my 2rd visit, with my 6 year old daughter. She loves it and has been given horses that suit her level well. Lucy who runs the operation is very helpful and nice. Highly recommended.