“The best trek I've been on”

Horse Trekking Lake Okareka
More attraction details
Owner description: At Horse Trekking Lake Okareka you can explore 1500 acres of rolling sheep and cattle producing farmland on horseback. You will go on a guided trek through 500 acres of native bush between the volcanic Lake Okareka, Lake Tarawera and the famous Blue and Green Lakes. We have horses to suit all abilities. This is a horse rider’s paradise with stunning panoramic views. We cater for small groups of 1 – 12 people providing you with an exclusive riding experience.
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The horses were all beautiful and so well looked after, it was heaps of fun. Even in the misty rain we had a great time. I've been on quite a few treks over the years, and this is the best I've found. Thanks Lucy!

All reviews
in 36 reviews
in 66 reviews
in 36 reviews

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have been on several horse treks with my girls and this is the first time we have horse trekked in Rotorua.

The property is so beautiful and just a few minutes out of town. Simple and easy directions but don't rely on your iphone GPS as there is no reception. Fortunately, had written down the instructions in the hotel.

The horses were so beautiful and very well looked after. The staff were friendly and experienced. The gear was really great and the helmets were of an excellent quality (not nasty and old!).
The horses were not only well behaved, they were very responsive. I have been on rides where the horses do not respond to basic commands (especially for the girls 8, 10) but these responded well. My horse, Joe, was really good. He responded well and I felt I learnt a lot more about riding.

The property is expansive and looks over the small village, the lakes and mountains. It was obvious that some serious amount of love (and money) has been invested in the property over several generations. The trees were established and the track was awesome.

Off all the options I looked at their website was the most basic but don't let that sway you away!

Lucy P, Owner at Horse Trekking Lake Okareka, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you Chris for your great comments. It is very helpful getting feedback and I will try and make the website more exciting. Come again and we will show you a different track. Kind regards, Lucy.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

What an experience! And what a place! The farm is just amazingly beautiful, with the most spectacular views over the lakes and mountain. The horses are beautiful! And mine was just great to ride on! It was lots of fun, very relaxing and oh so worth it! Our host Lucy was just great! It was my first riding-experience and it was fantastic! :-). 100% recommended.

Reviewed March 24, 2012

had a fantastic time on this adventure, we had amazing weather, our guides were all excellent and couldn't have asked for a better anniversary than doing this.

A huge thanks to you all and we look forward to doing this all again. They supplied us with all that we needed.

Pauline & Trevor Wild

See more reviews
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Four of us visited the Okareka Estate Adventures for our shared Wedding Anniversary's and chose to do the All Day Tour. We did horse riding which had the most amazing views, kayaking along bird sanctuaries, lunch which was provided, 4WD over the estate to the Vagabond boat which took us to Hot Water Beach - only accessible by boat, then to a natural spa for a soak and finally a mini tour of nearby sites complete with photos along the way. (They email you with photos a few days later.)
We really loved the horses, they were so easy to ride as a couple of us were first timers.
The boat trip was cool fun too. The views were stunning and some not seen unless you go on the tour. It was very much enjoyed by all of us and we would recommend it to anyone who likes to do fun outdoor things.
Remember to take your togs and towel and your own camera too. Don't forget your sunblock as it is outdoors all day long.
The all day tour starts from 9am till about 4pm. It was so fantastic! I highly recommend this if you're looking for a whole day of fun. Most of all the guides were fun and easy to get along with too.