“Excellent value for money”

Holdens Bay Holiday Park
Ranked #20 of 57 Specialty Lodging in Rotorua
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Excellent value for money”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Having booked the "large" one bedroom hotel unit, we were truely impressed by how big it really was especially for the price we got it at! Had everything we needed and the kitchen was well stocked. The kids loved playing in the little stream running through. Very genuine welcome when we arrived. Thanks to all at Holdens Bay. :-)

Room Tip: We had the large one bedroom unit and it really did feel large.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HBHP, Manager at Holdens Bay Holiday Park, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Hi,

Thank you so much for your great review & feedback. We are so happy to hear that the Unit was spacious enough & comfortable & that the kids enjoyed the stream. We hope to be of service to you again in the near future.

A big thank you again from the team at Holdens Bay Holiday Park

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Wellington
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom motel unit and you could not ask for better value for money. Plenty of room - tidy kitchen with decent microwave/kettle/toaster -element/grill was basic, but it was all that we needed. As you would expect for the price the unit was not it the tidiest of conditions, with very badly stained carpets & slightly tattered couch, but the walls & the rest of the floors were fresh & clean looking. The shower was basic but adequate & the bathroom roomy. The towels were changed each day & tea/coffee/milk were provided on arrival which was a nice touch for accommodation on a budget.
We were checked in by a very friendly staff member, the setting was pleasant - especially the children's playground with a lovely stream running through it & a nice swimming pool.
I have only two criticisms -firstly the hot water coming out of the taps at boiling temperature (literally boiling with steam coming out of the taps), so please be aware if you stay here with children - a child would be badly burnt touching the water straight from the tap. Secondly when we went to leave we need the perfunctory check under the beds -appears we might have been the only people to do that it quite some time with the amount of rubbish, old socks and even a glass with the remnants of an old drink still in it we found there!
All in all I would happily stay here again & would recommend it as a good place for families.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HBHP, Manager at Holdens Bay Holiday Park, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Good Morning,

Thank you so much for your review & feeback, we ppreciate all reviews very much.

We are happy to hear that you had a good stay & that the facilities within the Unit & the Park was of great use to you & your family & of satisfactory.

I am however very dissapointed to hear about what you found under the beds & I sincerely apologise for this but also appreciate the feedback as I always report feedback back to our Staff & this have reminded them to take extra care when cleaning & vacuuming the rooms as cleanliness is of high importance.
Also thank you in regards to the feedback about the hot water - would you be so kind to email or ring us with the Unti number you stayed in so that we can get on top of this ASAP so that we can change the temperature to avoid any injuries in the near future.

Once again thank you for your great review & we look forward to being of servcie to you & your family again the future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The rooms are basic but have everything you need. If you are in NZ for the first time, your time in the room would be minimal anyway. Its slightly further out of town than we initially thought but very close to the main road in and out of town. We traveled with myself and my 8 yo son. It was easy to book tours, get in and out of town. The price reflects the state of the rooms but there was nothing that was terribly bad about the room. Just basic and comfortable.
The only criticism I have was the slight lack of service we received when my son became very ill and needed to go to hospital. As we were on our own, I would have liked some more help from the reception desk. They did let me use the phone and gave me a map of where the hospital was located but their concern was lacking. I was left in the reception area on my own on the phone to my Australian Insurance Company frantically trying to get medical help for my son who had a severe respiratory infection. I was crying and very panicked and really needed someone to help me. I would have liked for them to maybe have shown some compassion for my situation and perhaps have tried to help me more. They could hear my conversation but chose to leave me there on my own. Given that I was in a foreign country, I could have done with some support. The following day when my son was discharged, the reception desk had left a note stuck to our room door with a message from our Insurance company. It was a little disappointing that they didn't come and see if we needed anything and if everything was ok. The following day we departed as initially scheduled. The service prior to the hospital incident was good.

Room Tip: The park is situated on a flight path directly behind Rotorua International airport. However, the di...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
HBHP, Manager at Holdens Bay Holiday Park, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Hi Emma,

Firstly thank you so much for your review & feedback, we are happy to hear your stay was comfortable. We do hope you enjoyed Rotorua & got to do as much as you can. Secondly I would like to apologise that we did not exceed the expectation of customer service to you when your son got sick. We leave all our guests in private when they are on a phone call or making a call so we were not aware that you were upset while on the phone otherwise we would have given you more support & would have checked up on you if we had known or were informed of the actual seriousness of the matter or outcome & I would have highly recommended the hospital that morning instead of the urgent medical centre or pharmacy if I had known his cough was of more seriousness. Once again we sincerely apologise for this and we do hope that your son is now better.

Thank you once again for your feedback. We hope you had a good holiday & stay before your son got unwell & hope to see you again in the future.
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

The previous comments are fair I think. The decor is a little dated, but the cost does seem to reflect this - we've been staying in similar holiday parks throughout our 3 week stay, and this one was the lowest cost. The room still had everything that we needed, and the staff are great.

Some of the responses below suggest that there are plans to refurb the decor. I think that will make a big difference; Holdens Bay has a lot of potential!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Johnny L
HBHP, Manager at Holdens Bay Holiday Park, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Good Evening Johnny L,

Thank you so much for your great feedback & review. The team & I are happy to hear that you had a good stay and that you got value for your money.

There are definitely plans for the refurb of the decor (as you know this is much needed) in the future (little things in the mean time). I'd say MOST of this will happen after the busy season of 13/14 so if you in Rotorua again next year Winter or after feel free to pop in, say hi and check out whats been happening.

Once again thank you for your review and feedback as it helps us and the team alot.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We travelled with our 3 kids, 5 to 10 years ago and really happy with the cleanliness of the place and the staff. They have great facilities. Love the price and will certainly come back. The beds were comfortable too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hi Pedersen Family,

Thank you for your great feedback & review, we value each review we get & we are so happy to hear that you and your family found the facilities great & that your Unit was clean & comfortable during your stay as this is very important to us.
We hope you got to do as much as you could in Rotorua during your stay & I'm sure there are much more to still do so we do hope to see you again in the near future & be of service to you and your family again.

Gordonton, New Zealand
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed for one night. Friendly and helpful staff, clean and tidy accommodation, affordable for a family of 5. It was the perfect location for us. The staff also went the extra mile and allowed me to come back in the afternoon (well after we had checked out) to have a hot shower after competing in a sports event, thank you so much for that! We will be back if we are in Rotorua again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hi there,

Thank you for your great feedback & review, we appreciate it very much. We are so happy to hear that you and your family had a great comfortable stay. we hope you did well in the sports event & enjoyed it? Rotorua has so much to offer & we do hope to see you and your family again and to be of service to you again.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is the second time we have spent time at this holiday park. Although a little out of the centre of Rotorua, it is near the airport and the road leading to the attractions near the Buried Village. Staff are really pleasant and facilities are good. Prices are reasonable. Definitly recommend to any family wanting to spend time in Rotorua.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MarioBarbafiera
HBHP, Manager at Holdens Bay Holiday Park, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Good Morning Barbafiera Family,

Thank you so much for your review & feedback, we appreciate it so much as it is of great value to us & our Staff.

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us again. It always brings joy to us to see our Guests return & have a great stay.

We hope to see you again soon.

The Team at Holdens Bay Holiday Park
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rotorua
All Seasons Holiday Park Rotorua
Waiteti Trout Stream Holiday Park
The Backyard Inn
The Backyard Inn
#49 of 57 in Rotorua

Been to Holdens Bay Holiday Park? Share your experiences!