“Great spot - perfect for sunnier weather”

Holdens Bay Holiday Park
Ranked #23 of 58 Specialty Lodging in Rotorua
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The rooms are basic but have everything you need. If you are in NZ for the first time, your time in the room would be minimal anyway. Its slightly further out of town than we initially thought but very close to the main road in and out of town. We traveled with myself and my 8 yo son. It was easy to book tours, get in and out of town. The price reflects the state of the rooms but there was nothing that was terribly bad about the room. Just basic and comfortable.
The only criticism I have was the slight lack of service we received when my son became very ill and needed to go to hospital. As we were on our own, I would have liked some more help from the reception desk. They did let me use the phone and gave me a map of where the hospital was located but their concern was lacking. I was left in the reception area on my own on the phone to my Australian Insurance Company frantically trying to get medical help for my son who had a severe respiratory infection. I was crying and very panicked and really needed someone to help me. I would have liked for them to maybe have shown some compassion for my situation and perhaps have tried to help me more. They could hear my conversation but chose to leave me there on my own. Given that I was in a foreign country, I could have done with some support. The following day when my son was discharged, the reception desk had left a note stuck to our room door with a message from our Insurance company. It was a little disappointing that they didn't come and see if we needed anything and if everything was ok. The following day we departed as initially scheduled. The service prior to the hospital incident was good.

Room Tip: The park is situated on a flight path directly behind Rotorua International airport. However, the di...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
HBHP, Manager at Holdens Bay Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Hi Emma,

Firstly thank you so much for your review & feedback, we are happy to hear your stay was comfortable. We do hope you enjoyed Rotorua & got to do as much as you can. Secondly I would like to apologise that we did not exceed the expectation of customer service to you when your son got sick. We leave all our guests in private when they are on a phone call or making a call so we were not aware that you were upset while on the phone otherwise we would have given you more support & would have checked up on you if we had known or were informed of the actual seriousness of the matter or outcome & I would have highly recommended the hospital that morning instead of the urgent medical centre or pharmacy if I had known his cough was of more seriousness. Once again we sincerely apologise for this and we do hope that your son is now better.

Thank you once again for your feedback. We hope you had a good holiday & stay before your son got unwell & hope to see you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Holdens Bay Holiday Park

Reviewed August 22, 2013

The previous comments are fair I think. The decor is a little dated, but the cost does seem to reflect this - we've been staying in similar holiday parks throughout our 3 week stay, and this one was the lowest cost. The room still had everything that we needed, and the staff are great.

Some of the responses below suggest that there are plans to refurb the decor. I think that will make a big difference; Holdens Bay has a lot of potential!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Johnny L
HBHP, Manager at Holdens Bay Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Good Evening Johnny L,

Thank you so much for your great feedback & review. The team & I are happy to hear that you had a good stay and that you got value for your money.

There are definitely plans for the refurb of the decor (as you know this is much needed) in the future (little things in the mean time). I'd say MOST of this will happen after the busy season of 13/14 so if you in Rotorua again next year Winter or after feel free to pop in, say hi and check out whats been happening.

Once again thank you for your review and feedback as it helps us and the team alot.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We travelled with our 3 kids, 5 to 10 years ago and really happy with the cleanliness of the place and the staff. They have great facilities. Love the price and will certainly come back. The beds were comfortable too.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Hi Pedersen Family,

Thank you for your great feedback & review, we value each review we get & we are so happy to hear that you and your family found the facilities great & that your Unit was clean & comfortable during your stay as this is very important to us.
We hope you got to do as much as you could in Rotorua during your stay & I'm sure there are much more to still do so we do hope to see you again in the near future & be of service to you and your family again.

Many Thanks

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed for one night. Friendly and helpful staff, clean and tidy accommodation, affordable for a family of 5. It was the perfect location for us. The staff also went the extra mile and allowed me to come back in the afternoon (well after we had checked out) to have a hot shower after competing in a sports event, thank you so much for that! We will be back if we are in Rotorua again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Hi there,

Thank you for your great feedback & review, we appreciate it very much. We are so happy to hear that you and your family had a great comfortable stay. we hope you did well in the sports event & enjoyed it? Rotorua has so much to offer & we do hope to see you and your family again and to be of service to you again.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is the second time we have spent time at this holiday park. Although a little out of the centre of Rotorua, it is near the airport and the road leading to the attractions near the Buried Village. Staff are really pleasant and facilities are good. Prices are reasonable. Definitly recommend to any family wanting to spend time in Rotorua.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MarioBarbafiera
HBHP, Manager at Holdens Bay Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Good Morning Barbafiera Family,

Thank you so much for your review & feedback, we appreciate it so much as it is of great value to us & our Staff.

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us again. It always brings joy to us to see our Guests return & have a great stay.

We hope to see you again soon.

Many Thanks

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Our motel room had all we needed re bedroom space, kitchen etc. It did feel more like a cabin though. We stayed on a stay3/pay2 deal, which was a bonus.

Staff were knowledgeable and helpful - no problems there.

We didn't use the playground and trampolines a lot, but had we stayed longer, we would have used them more. Definitely helps when you have young kids.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
HBHP, Manager at Holdens Bay Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Good Morning,

Thank you so much for your feedback & review, we appreciate it very much.

We are happy to hear that you had enough space and had all you need in the Unit, we try and supply as much as we can to our Guests in order to make their stay comfortable.

It is great to hear that your children enjoyed the Trampoline & Playground even if it was only for a little while :)

We hope to be of service to you again in the near future & hopefully we might also be able to put you in a better 1 Bedroom or 2 Bedroom Unit to experience, so feel free to give us a call next time you are heading down to Rotorua and we will be happy to see what we can do for you and your family.

Thank you again foroyur feedback & review.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights for 2 cabins and was offered a 3rd night free, We found the service was great, was very helpful and was upgraded on the 2nd night to a unit so we had 2 cabins and 1 unit for the other 2 nights if we wanted them.
The Guy was very knowledgeable and went out of his way to help us and answer any questions we had. I found that it was like talking to a real life person on the phone instead of a upper class hotel script. We will defiantly be back, Thank you for our stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank You so much for your Great Review!

We are so happy to hear that you had a great stay and received great Customer Service. We strive ourselves on the service we give to our Guests as we want to assure everyone feels welcome and comfortable to talk to us as we are happy to help with anything we can.

We look forward to heaving you stay with us again.

Thank you very much for your feedback, the Team & I appreciate it very much.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rotorua
Ramada Resort Rotorua Marama
Tickled Trout Bed & Breakfast
#18 of 55 in Rotorua District
Cosy Cottage Thermal Holiday Park Rotorua
Waiteti Trout Stream Holiday Park

Been to Holdens Bay Holiday Park? Share your experiences!