“Human Hamster”

OGO Rotorua Inflatable Ball Ride
Ranked #2 of 20 Fun & Games in Rotorua
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The experience of rolling down a hill inside a giant inflatable ball has been an iconic adventure experience since Andrew and David Akers developed the first operation in the world in Rotorua back in 1997. Rotorua remains the ONLY location in New Zealand where you can experience this amazingly fun and bizarre activity.With a new site just 5 minutes from the town centre with a hill that is almost twice as long, you can ride with 1, 2 or 3 people inside the same H2OGO (with warm water in winter or cool water in summer),race against your friends, or try the Harness OGO where you are securely strapped in and sent rolling head over heels through the trees down our custom designed harness track.OR … try our BRAND NEW ride; THE FISHPIPE!A new and unique type of water ride where you slide for over 600 metres! Further than the longest water-slide in the world!Up to 3 riders, 75 litres (20 gallons) of water and a barrel that spins at up to 45 revolutions per minute (although we can slow it right down for the kids and those of you with nervous dispositions.)If you’re riding solo, you can slide, try to run inside, or even try surfing on your feet. With 2 or 3 riders inside you slip and slide together in a tangled mess ... backwards, sideways, frontwards, upside-downwards and whose-foot-is-that-in-my-mouthwards.Open 364 days from 9:00 to 5:00pm in all weather conditions, do not miss out on this unique New Zealand invention. No bookings necessary.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Perry Hall, Maryland, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Human Hamster”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I planned a trip to New Zealand in part to go zorbing after seeing it online. The trip to Rotorua was totally worth it!!! I was scared at first but as soon as the zorb started rolling I noticed how smooth a ride it was. The one bad part was it was freezing once getting out and feeling the cold air envelop your whole body. I would go back to NZ just to go zorbing again!!!

Kareem,

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Kareem R

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“So much more fun than I was expecting.”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I found myself thinking 'just how fun can it be to roll down a hill in a glorified hamster ball?' before arriving at OGO HQ. As soon as the bus rolled up and I saw the Sidewinder track, I knew this hamster experience was going to be a memorable one.

All the staff were very friendly and laid back. More than happy to enjoy a quick chat & laugh while you're signing in, it was a great atmosphere that put one in a great mood before being driven up the hill to roll back down it. Once you're up the hill, the view is pretty amazing. Had I not been so eager to have my OGOing cherry popped, I would've let the other pair go first so I could appreciate it a little longer. But instead I did my classiest dive through the opening into the OGO and was fully expecting a cold shock from the water, only to be greeted by very warm and inviting water. I could've happily sat there for a good half hour and enjoyed the warmth. I don't think those waiting to go would've appreciated it.. And before we were rolled off, we were given a GoPro to record our OGOing shenanigans. A very awesome touch. The photos taken before and after the OGOing were great too and well worth the purchase. I later found out from one of the guys on my tour that he was allowed to take his own GoPro in the OGO with him, a very cool move on behalf of the OGOing company. They could have very easily declined him in a bid to force him to buy their own footage. Most companies would. But they didn't here. Much respect for that.

And thus the descent began. It was bumpy, it was full of laughs, it was steamy warm, it had a few soft collisions into my OGOing buddy, it was so much fun. And it was sadly over all too soon. But the couple of minutes it lasted, it was amazing.. Sounds like something else that I find ends all too soon in my usual life...

Just one final note before I conclude my review. I'm a little over reading comments from people saying how expensive it is. No one forces you to participate. You can hop back in your car/bus/horse (please don't hop *in* a horse) and leave. The price is very reasonable. The OGOs aren't a cheap inflatable balloon. They're very expensive to make and maintain, and then don't forget ongoing costs like water, staff wages, rent etc etc. The price in my opinion is very reasonable and I will absolutely return to Rotorua solely so I can OGO again the next time I'm in NZ. Could not recommend enough.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank BradFraser
Andrew A, Owner at OGO Rotorua, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thanks very much for your comprehensive review. It's so nice as an owner/operator to get feedback about all the little things we try and do to make OGO Rotorua a fun and memorable experience for our visitors as well as for ourselves! You've given us the warm fuzzies!
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
302 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 664 helpful votes
“Get there!!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The air temperature was around 12 deg cel, couple this with the 'wet zorb', I was apprehensive to say the least.

My friends soon talked me into it, and I am glad they did. My apprehension was soon alleviated, the organisers have honestly considered everything when it comes to the colder months.

You change in a heated change room; followed by a pre heated car ride to the top. You then take a running jump into the zorb (my favourite part), into water around the 36 deg cel temp. A group of three of us went down the 'fast track', great fun. We then had our second birthday ( you'll know what I mean when you do it.) From here, you sit in a very warm spa, to wait for everything to be reset to do it all again, not cold at all.

They even consider the spectators and have an outdoor wood fire on the viewing platform.

Some of the best fun we had in New Zealand, agreed by our whole group.

4 Thank Ashley E
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Must do!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Flying visit of North Island and we ended up with a bit of time to be big kids.. So.. Headed to Ogo for our last stop on our way to Auckland.. So glad we did..

Planned one trip down Zigzag.. Had to have 2.. Laughed so hard our cheeks hurt. Laughed even harder when we saw our photos and DVD.

Warm spa after run amazing.. Matt best photo bomb/ rent a crowd.. ;)
All staff were so friendly, helpful and generous of spirit.. Will definitely remember this one and highly recommend.. Winter shouldn't deter you.. There are heaters AND hair dryers in the change rooms.. And did we mention the spa at the end?

Cheers!

2 Thank Balmyhumps
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Want to make a teenager happy? This will do it”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Fantastic fund for three teenagers tired of travelling in the car and looking at sights. They had a really great time and ended up doing multiple trips (worth the money just to see how much fun they were having). Bring your own swimmers and towel (or hire them on the spot).

2 Thank Kaz K