“Tired”

Rob Roy Motel
Rob Roy Motel
Ranked #42 of 58 Specialty Lodging in Rotorua
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed in the 3 bedroom house available at this motel.

A very tired complex in need of lots of decorating.

Those managing the complex were courteous, pleasant and helpful as were the cleaning staff.

The unit was quiet and comfortable and close to attractions.

Would book the 3 bedroom again as it suited the requirements of our group. Two bathrooms was a big plus.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We booked this motel via an online booking site. We have a large group so the options are limited. The pricing was really fantastic so expect normal motel quality. The unit is generally clean, everything inside are usable, and I would say all things are barely meeting standard. You will find the units are not very well maintained, there are patches on the walls and furniture are old. There are mineral pools available but having been to the room I would not put myself into the pool at all.

Should you be concerned? No if you are just staying for a night, but I don't recommend anything more than one night.

On the service side, the hosts are very helpful, they aren't those fussy motel owners who make rules for the convenience of themselves.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We booked this place through a normally reliable website and because it was the only place left that could cater for 3 persons. We were met by the female owner who was very chatty especially with us being Scottish and showed us to an outside unit. Whilst walking through the motel to our unit we managed to look into an interior room and it looked not too bad.
However when we got to our unit it was like walking into the film set of a 70's film set, grossly out of date, mis-matched furniture and utensils, grubby and generally not very appealing. However to be fair the beds were clean and the toilet was by far the best feature although basic. Kitchen was clean but very dated which made it look dirty.
As it was the only place available, we decided we had no option but to stay and matters got worse when we returned to our room at about 10.30pm, when we started to prepare for bed, there was a sudden loud noise for on average about 5-10 seconds, like someone drilling, which continued periodically for the next hour until we retired to bed. We could not work out what was causing the noise but deided to try and get to sleep.
However after about 15 minutes the noise returned and stayed with us for about 25 seconds. We then checked with the immediate neighbours who confirmed that they too had heard the noise and thought it was coming from a pipe.
The proprietor was raised from bed and informed of the problem and he indicated that he had been in charge of the property for 9 years and had never had a complaint about our particular problem. He fobbed us off with it perhaps being the water being too hot, although the hot water was switched off. Needless to say, the noise did not return during the time he was in our unit.
There was no repetitition of the problem for the remainder of the night, probably because all the adjoining units looked like they had retired, but it again started in the morning just as the proprietor passed by our unit. He was informed of the re-emergence of the problem again and invited in to hear it for himself, but he did not present himself before we left a short time later.
Unfortunately there was no one at reception when we left in order to vent our frustrations again and to be honest I just wanted toleave as soon as possible.
I suspect the problem was a plumbing one, caused when another unit used water and I suspect that it did not suddenly develop upon our arrival. We were in a poor unit which I suspect is only used when they reach full capacity and have perhaps been putting off repairs.
If you do happen to use these premises please do not take an outside unit and especially number 17.

Room Tip: Do not take an outside unit.
1  Thank Parfantastic
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Our second time in the last 12 months at this venerable motel. Made warm and welcoming by it's owners this motel is a quiet, respectable, well established motel, within walking distance of any and all of Rotorua's shops and central visitor attractions.
Notably the Horse racing track simply across the road.
Priced to please considering it's closeness to the city, and always clean and tidy.
The Rob Roy has a special attraction these days, it's own genuine mineral pools, for the exclusive use of it's guests.

Room Tip: Ring ahead and ask for what you'd like, the owners are only too happy to accommodate you in thei...
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Rob Roy Motel. The owners are very friendly and will do everything possible to make sure you have everything you need. They will book up trips for you as well. The whole place was clean, tidy and quiet. Everything you need for cooking is there plus complimentary tea/coffee/etc. You can even take a bath in their own private bathhouse with hot springs water from a tap. Wonderful for tired limbs! I thoroughly recommend this motel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2012

The positives- its clean and tidy and good shower pressure but oh my! this place probably hasnt had anything done to it for years and its not that appealing - posters everywhere, generally unkept exterior (Weeds in drive way and gardens untidy), and just feels that the owners have given up making it look its best or anything like the website. That said its adequate digs for one night but you would need to get rooms at budget rates to make it worth it

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I had booked a room at Rob Roy motel when there was only one review to go on, so I really didn't know what I was in for. I continued to check up until the dates of my stay and more reviews were added, which were really mixed, so I was quite apprehensive. The latest review before staying here was pretty bad so I was preparing myself for the worst. Once I made it to Rob Roy however I was plesantly surprised. The room was really tidy and clean, not dirty, and the beds were actually really comfortable, not hard like the other reviews painted them to be. I found it to be more than adequate for my three night stay. There was complimentary milk in the fridge, and the cupboards had plates, bowls, cutlery, frying pans, a toaster and other utensils. The reception on the tv weas good, and the couches were comfy also. The shower and toilet were clean and the towels were good. Overall I found it a really nice place to stay on a budget. I don't know if maybe previous reviewers are used to more upmarket accommodation or maybe got a bad room? But I would definitely recommend it. Although it's decor is dated, this is merely superficial, and the actual quality of the room is good. Only downside I would say was that the carparks are a tight squeeze and the decor is a bit dated; but apart from that I had a pleasant stay and don't have any complaints :)

Room Tip: Stayed in room 7, which is bottom floor furthest from reception. Got heaps of sunlight and was a goo...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends