“OK if you are prepared for what you get” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Rob Roy Motel
Ranked #43 of 57 Specialty Lodging in Rotorua
New Zealand
“OK if you are prepared for what you get”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

The positives- its clean and tidy and good shower pressure but oh my! this place probably hasnt had anything done to it for years and its not that appealing - posters everywhere, generally unkept exterior (Weeds in drive way and gardens untidy), and just feels that the owners have given up making it look its best or anything like the website. That said its adequate digs for one night but you would need to get rooms at budget rates to make it worth it

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I had booked a room at Rob Roy motel when there was only one review to go on, so I really didn't know what I was in for. I continued to check up until the dates of my stay and more reviews were added, which were really mixed, so I was quite apprehensive. The latest review before staying here was pretty bad so I was preparing myself for the worst. Once I made it to Rob Roy however I was plesantly surprised. The room was really tidy and clean, not dirty, and the beds were actually really comfortable, not hard like the other reviews painted them to be. I found it to be more than adequate for my three night stay. There was complimentary milk in the fridge, and the cupboards had plates, bowls, cutlery, frying pans, a toaster and other utensils. The reception on the tv weas good, and the couches were comfy also. The shower and toilet were clean and the towels were good. Overall I found it a really nice place to stay on a budget. I don't know if maybe previous reviewers are used to more upmarket accommodation or maybe got a bad room? But I would definitely recommend it. Although it's decor is dated, this is merely superficial, and the actual quality of the room is good. Only downside I would say was that the carparks are a tight squeeze and the decor is a bit dated; but apart from that I had a pleasant stay and don't have any complaints :)

Room Tip: Stayed in room 7, which is bottom floor furthest from reception. Got heaps of sunlight and was a goo...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ashlynn a
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

this motel has carparks which are numbered according to the room numbers. but we found that the owner(who seemed to be the owner) have pointing other people to our carpark while we were out for dinner. he lied at first and told us that he does not know who the car belongs, but he then called the man to remove his car when we started arguing back. we know he has the details of the car owner since everyone needs to give him the plate number when checking in. the owner was rude and unhelpful.
the room was dirty, the wall had patches of peeled off paint. the shower room was dirty and small. the kitchen had flies and the bench tops were sticky, the kettle had visible stains
there was holes in the funiture fabrics and chairs was wobbly.
the spa pool outside our unit needs a decent clean and grasses out side were so long that it was over my knees.
though the location was handy but would never consider returning or recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Napier, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

We arrived with family for a one night stay between Christmas and New Year and the first impression was not good. The garden at the front is very overgrown and unkempt and the blinds at the windows were broken - not a good look! We had a studio room for ourselves.
The room was very dated, but was clean and the shower was good pressure. The bed, however, was rock hard and we had an uncomfortable night.
We did not use the hot pools, but had a look and the one we saw looked as though it needed a good repaint.
The Indian couple running the motel were lovely and could not do enough for us.
I would not stay here for longer than 1 night. I think it needs shutting down room by room and every room refurbished to a much higher degree. The price we paid was very nearly too much for the standard we got.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Napier, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

The problem was that I was late arriving at Rob Roy. Had I arrived in 1974 I would have appreciated the up to date styling, the beautiful orange curtains, brown and orange bed spreads, avacado bathroom suite and gorgeous formica coffee table.
The motel, as you'd expect from the name, has a strong Scotish theme so it stands to reason it is run by an Indian couple. They were lovely and very attentive, dealing with any problems quickly. They also took excellent care of the two hot mineral pools on site (although these desparately need a coat of paint).
On the down side, the room was terrible. As well as being about 30 years out of date I found it extremely noisey with lots of traffic passing by all night long. The beds were variously very hard or very soft with neither position providing any comfort which resulted in a poor quality of sleep.
By far the worst room was the bathroom. It was dark, dingy and the toilet floor looked dirty. The taps were so close to the back of the sink that it was impossible to wash my hands under them and I had difficulty even getting my toothbrush wet.
To be fair, I was shown a room which had recently been redecorated (only to be told it was booked and I couldn't have it) so I know that not every room is like the one I had but if it were my Motel I would be embarrassed to give anyone the room I was given.
Overall, probably a safe bet for a short stay, given the price, but don't get your hopes up.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank oncebitten50
Whangarei, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

Have stayed regularly with husband who is a mountain bike nut. Motel is five minutes from world renowned tracks and central to the Mount/Tauranga, the National Park - we did the Tongariro Crossing and a road trip to Napier recently from here.

Motel is very dated but well serviced. The mineral pools are emptied and cleaned daily. It's the main reason we stay apart from the owners who are lovely people.

Great value for $.

Room Tip: My preference is for ground floor.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

Motel was quite clean, and linnens was also clean. They can make dust cleaning in toilet and better sink. kitchen floor was not nice, and kitchen wasnt inviting to make any food. Ok price to stay one or two nights. Nice couple who owned it. Very spaciours room anyway. They also have mineral pools, but I wouldnt go there!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends