“Not for more than 1 night.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Rob Roy Motel

Rob Roy Motel
Rob Roy Motel
Ranked #42 of 55 Specialty Lodging in Rotorua
Napier, New Zealand
“Not for more than 1 night.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

We arrived with family for a one night stay between Christmas and New Year and the first impression was not good. The garden at the front is very overgrown and unkempt and the blinds at the windows were broken - not a good look! We had a studio room for ourselves.
The room was very dated, but was clean and the shower was good pressure. The bed, however, was rock hard and we had an uncomfortable night.
We did not use the hot pools, but had a look and the one we saw looked as though it needed a good repaint.
The Indian couple running the motel were lovely and could not do enough for us.
I would not stay here for longer than 1 night. I think it needs shutting down room by room and every room refurbished to a much higher degree. The price we paid was very nearly too much for the standard we got.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Napier, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

The problem was that I was late arriving at Rob Roy. Had I arrived in 1974 I would have appreciated the up to date styling, the beautiful orange curtains, brown and orange bed spreads, avacado bathroom suite and gorgeous formica coffee table.
The motel, as you'd expect from the name, has a strong Scotish theme so it stands to reason it is run by an Indian couple. They were lovely and very attentive, dealing with any problems quickly. They also took excellent care of the two hot mineral pools on site (although these desparately need a coat of paint).
On the down side, the room was terrible. As well as being about 30 years out of date I found it extremely noisey with lots of traffic passing by all night long. The beds were variously very hard or very soft with neither position providing any comfort which resulted in a poor quality of sleep.
By far the worst room was the bathroom. It was dark, dingy and the toilet floor looked dirty. The taps were so close to the back of the sink that it was impossible to wash my hands under them and I had difficulty even getting my toothbrush wet.
To be fair, I was shown a room which had recently been redecorated (only to be told it was booked and I couldn't have it) so I know that not every room is like the one I had but if it were my Motel I would be embarrassed to give anyone the room I was given.
Overall, probably a safe bet for a short stay, given the price, but don't get your hopes up.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank oncebitten50

Travelers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Whangarei, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

Have stayed regularly with husband who is a mountain bike nut. Motel is five minutes from world renowned tracks and central to the Mount/Tauranga, the National Park - we did the Tongariro Crossing and a road trip to Napier recently from here.

Motel is very dated but well serviced. The mineral pools are emptied and cleaned daily. It's the main reason we stay apart from the owners who are lovely people.

Great value for $.

Room Tip: My preference is for ground floor.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

Motel was quite clean, and linnens was also clean. They can make dust cleaning in toilet and better sink. kitchen floor was not nice, and kitchen wasnt inviting to make any food. Ok price to stay one or two nights. Nice couple who owned it. Very spaciours room anyway. They also have mineral pools, but I wouldnt go there!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends