“Micro beer & more”

BREW / Craft Beer Pub
Ranked #20 of 233 Restaurants in Rotorua
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: BREW | Craft Beer Pub in Rotorua, New Zealand, is run by Croucher Brewing - Rotorua's award-winning craft brewery. We have a great selection of NZ craft beers on-tap and in bottles, we exclusively stock New Zealand wines, and have delicious reasonably priced pub-style food. We are located in the middle of the Eat Street restaurant precinct. BREW was named Rotorua's OUTSTANDING BAR at the Rotorua Hospitality Awards 2013 and 2014.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We ate at this restaurant 2 of the 3 days that we were in Rotorua. Micro beer was excellent and the food menu is varied and reasonable. Wait service was very friendly and assisted my wife with gluten-free choices.
The only complaint was that on the second night, they had a small music group playing in the back section of the restaurant. Thank goodness, we asked to be seated in the front part of the restaurant or we would not have been able to talk/hear our friend's conversation. In my estimate, the restaurant seemed to be too small to host a music group although there seemed to be a nice gathering in that area.

There are newer reviews for BREW / Craft Beer Pub

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We had the Fish sandwich with hand cut chips....... oh boy were they good. Great value food and superbly tasty. The craft beer, too many to take in but really enjoyed the raspberry pilsner, they should/could do with a tasting plate of the craft beers.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Food was fantastic. Beer, amazing. Service, sensational! Do yourself a favor and go. You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stopped at the Brew in the middle of the afternoon just to get a beer but when we saw the variety of food on the menu and blackboard, decided to order some food. Very pleased we did as my fish and salad was delicious and my partner said his sausage, egg and chip meal was simple but immensly satisfying. The staff were helpful and friendly and the beer was very nice too..

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Caveat: this review relates only to Brew as a drinking establishment. The wafting aromas and the food I saw while spending a couple of hours there over two days were promising, but I have not eaten there--primarily because my wife and I were in the market for Mexican and Indian food this weekend. I think Tripadvisor should offer an ability to differentiate the restaurant categories a bit. Often, I have only breakfast at a place and feel constrained to rate it highly without having tried dinner there too. I feel the same way about pubs. Shouldn't there be a way to rate pub vs. pub, apart from their ability to prepare a great meal? When I go to a pub, I want great beer. Others might want great mixed drinks or even wine. A great pub's restaurant is not the draw for me. Of course, when a pub is great for drink and for food that's a plus, but what I really want to know about a pub is its drink. More specifically, its beer. Brew is phenomenal. Outside of a very few, large urban areas here in New Zealand you are lucky to find a pub that serves any beer that originated in small batches in a brewery where the brewmaster and his or her handful of mates created the beer by hand--in other words a micro-brewery or a craft brewery (although the last term has lost most of its meaning of late). I am talking about beer that is fresh from the brewery at its peak like tree-ripened fruit, beer in styles that are traditional and proud, or in styles creative and bold--even startlingly bold. This is not to criticize main stream beers, but there are dozens of pubs devoted to their worship. You must go to pubs like Brew to get truly bold beers. In addition to beers brewed by Brew's associated brewery, Croucher, Brew offers a vast array of other great beers from around New Zealand. This weekend they were pouring Mata from Kawerau. My wife was partial to the Temeke! IPA, such a new offering it does not even appear on their own website. I had that as well as Mata Hip-Hop Pilsner, Croucher Pale Ale, their Pilsner, and their fruity Galaxy IPA (all over two sessions, mind you). I settled on the Galaxy as my favourite. They offer dozens of selections in the bottle, from pedestrian to sublime, so if your mate doesn't understand the taste of truly bold beers, rest assured the old standbys are available too. There was a steady crowd having loads of fun, a crowd that almost filled the place with nearly an even mix of locals/tourists and drinkers/diners. Friendly staff, tables in sidewalk sun, live music across the street (the block is a permanent street mall, actually, giving the place a festival feel), lively people-watching all hours of the day. You have to drive hundreds of kilometers to find another such place.