“Warm Welcoming in Rotorua”

VR Rotorua Lake Resort
Ranked #25 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Warm Welcoming in Rotorua”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two week-days. On arrival we received a very warm welcome at reception and were upgraded to an Executive Room.This hotel is quite luxurious for the price it charges. The bedrooms are large with good sized bathroom with shower and very comfortable beds. Staff were very kind and helpful. Breakfast was excellent. From the outset, the high standard of service we were to enjoy for our entire stay - the receptionists and other staff deserve a special mention for their friendliness and efficiency. i would love to stay again and recommend to others :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
vivek s, Owner at VR Rotorua Lake Resort, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Scorpio_nov90:
You have summerised well. Thanks. The place is simply stunning and excellent value for those who want to relax and enjoy. Away from city traffic noise, you will feel the aura of nature and surroundings stroll around our lawns, trees, bushes, lakeside, poolside, tennis courts, parking area, marina and across the highway 33 towards main rotorua lake.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We were only going to be in Rotorua for one night and we wanted to stay away from town and noise. We booked Amora Lake Resort and it was like Home Away from Home. Best hotel I have ever stayed. Our hotel room was large, Great Lake view, Luxuries, Big Bathroom. The hotel staff and management were friendly and eager to please. The breakfast was excellent, we were seated with a view to Lake. High speed internet, Spa and swimming pool was a added advantage. Will surely come back.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you Firrune for your positive comments on WiFi speed. I am happy that it worked so well. Although we are still trying to upgrade the speed and it is taking time.But will be there soon. Yes we are proud of our staff who are always keen to go out of their way to help customer for any comfort. . Looking forward to have you with us very soon.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 8, 2014

This place is terrible. So let down by the staff. Booked a beautiful romantic weekend away that was a deal advertised online. What they failed to mention is that a wedding was on - we were one of the furthest rooms from where it was held however the music was booming. Reception advised us it was to be off at 12pm. (umm a little late if you had an action packed day) however what they failed to think about was the guests who wanted to continue to party away? Rung reception several times complaining.

Have written to them & provided feedback - have I heard back? Nope not at all. Dont advertise yourself a lake resort when your not.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Courtz27
Dear Courtz27:
I admit wedding celebrations have marred some guests stay on couple of occasions. We do realise this now and appreciate your point. On one hand some guests are partying and celebrating wedding, on the other hand guests in nearby rooms are disturbed. We are finding a way out so that celebration is not a disturbance to others. While I feel sorry and do aplogise for your discomfort because of the wedding, but would like to extend a personal invitation to you so that you can enjoy your stay as you had wanted to. Pl do gives us an opportunity to serve you once again.
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed April 6, 2014

This beautifully situated hotel at this stunning location is entirely let down by the complete lack of any competent staff. With so much potential to be so incredibly good, the people who manage and run this hotel make me feel bitterly disappointed with their treatment both of us as guests, and their own hotel.

We entered through a front door with beautiful stained glass windows into what could have been a most welcoming foyer. On our late afternoon check in after a long day traveling we were greeted with the news that if we wanted to dine in the restaurant that was advertised in numerous places as being open from 6pm, we would have to make a booking and would absolutely be unable to be served until 8pm. Apparently this rule did not apply to the few other guests who were in attendance at the hotel, whom we guessed to be part of some sort of (miniscule) conference, as they were happily occupying one table in the otherwise empty restaurant at the entirely more reasonable time of 6pm. Needless to say, we drove into Rotorua for a much more welcoming meal.

Our room, which had the potential to be absolutely stunning with it's old style charm and perfectly beautiful view over Lake Rotoiti, was run down and worn out. The sheets on the bed were pilling (worse than my old linen at home!), the couch in the corner was disgustingly water-stained and threadbare, the grout in the shower was in need of a date with the bleach bottle. The room just felt unloved and run down.

Staff were... well... non-existent. Reception was regularly empty, no staff were present in the bar, and the whole place was mysteriously like a ghost town. I had a most amazing experience ordering a drink from the bar. I walked into the bar at 8.30pm to purchase a drink to take to my room. When I entered the bar, the only member of staff within eye-shot immediately walked out of the room and disappeared from sight completely. It was clear she had seen me, and clear she was avoiding me. I stood at the bar patiently for some time. I began to wonder if this was a "help-yourself" bar! I went back out to reception and chased down someone to pour me a drink. I followed this man back into the bar and asked whether he had any dessert wines. He looked at me in a confused manner, and offered me the wine list, pointing out champagne as a dessert wine. I asked for a Tia Maria on ice instead. Little did I know the circus I was about to experience. He said he had to get another staff member to help, as he was not familiar with the bar and disappeared for a while, bringing back the girl who had earlier avoided me. He then proceeded to pull down the Tia Maria (which I had to help point out), took a glass (which he required me to confirm as being appropriate) took the measure, and proceeded to pour the measure a good few millimetres short of a full measure. He looked at me as if to ask if this was right. I said "yes, and a few more mils for the bit you left off the top thanks". He poured it into a glass with no ice. I reminded him about the ice. He sent the girl out to get the ice (which wasn't in the bar!). I waited. I waited. She came back with a metal bowl of ice in it, and offered me the bowl. By this stage, I knew I was dealing with amateurs. As I dipped my hand in and scooped out the ice for my drink, I explained that the trick about making this drink was to pour the liquid OVER the ice. The girl started to explain that she was new and didn't know how to run the bar. I thought that was quite obvious. I asked how much ($8) and offered a $10 note as payment. The man took it and headed out to reception to find change. He took a while, so I followed him out. When I found him, he still had my $10 note, and said he couldn't find change and he would fix it up in the morning. I still don't know if he did, as we had already paid for our room, and after this extravagant display of their inability to pour the most basic of drinks, I wasn't in a hurry to chase it up. It may have been charged to our card, but I doubt they were even competent enough to remember to do that (let alone know how to!). The single most astounding bar experience of my life. I should have played the help-yourself game in the first place, instead of having to direct a comedy of errors watching these two clowns attempt to pour a drink!

I highly recommend that if you are heading to Rotorua and surrounds that you give this hotel a *very* wide berth. All the prettiness and potential in the world does not make up for their complete lack of ability to run this hotel. I feel somewhat saddened that this beautiful place is going to be run down into the ground by these people who have absolutely no idea what is required in the running of a hotel. Do yourself a favour and book somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jo M
Dear Jo M:
Actually shocked to read your comments running into several pages. We took over on 1st April 2014. Majority of staff left jobs after takeover. Around your visit date, we were in the process of training, retraining, and building new team at the Hotel. I feel very sorry that you did not enjoy the hospitality of restaurant and other customer service staff. While I appreciate your candid comments giving exhaustive account of each and every movement in the Bar, I would like to say that hospitality industry is volatile where each day (or to be precisely each moment) has its own ups and downs.

We have come a long way since our take over on 1st April 2014. Our hotels google ranking has gone up substantially from 47 to 36. Tourism spots such as Rotorua Tourist Centre have started talking of Amora Lake Resort and invited us to present a display of our services right in their reception area. Hells Gate who have mud bath and sulpher spa, have appreciated our service and given free entries to our guests on several occasions. Airport managers have given us special treatment for advertising us in a special way. If you visit now, I am sure your detailed account of your stay here would turn around 360 deg. What a pity that apart from the Restaurant Bar, you did not have opportunity to enjoy our rooms, spa, pools, rooms service, peaceful atmosphere, natural lush green lawns on lakeside, night sky filled with twinkling stars, milkyway as seen by one of our guests and wrote review, life size chess pawns on the likeside lawns, natural surroundings inside and around Amora Lake Resort, kayaks, houseboat tour to hot water springs across the Lake Rotoiti and several other activities. We are very sensitive to our guests reviews and remarks and take it very seriously. Your one line review comment would have brought us the same impace as it has now. I can confidently invite you to visit us now and feel the difference yourself.

Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed March 13, 2014

There's very little security as the Amora has many trees for prowlers to hide and parts of it aren't lit and there's no visable security like: sensor lights, lockable gates, and guard patrols. Many guests have boats/jetskis as the Amora has it's own private boat-ramp in Lake Rotoiti. This year,thieves have come to try to steal expensive boats and cars! On Tues 11th March 2014 my car alarm went off around 3am as someone broke into it. The on Thurs 13 March, someone tried to steal my boat that was attached to my car - lucky I went to Te Ngae shopping centre and brought a pad-lock to attach my trailer to my tow-bar. I recommend bringing locks and wheel-clamps and being cautious about locking your doors and windows!

Room Tip: When coming from Auckland DON'T follow the GPS as it takes you along back-roads. Go to Rotorua...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear Andrew9814:
Thanks for your feeback.
This incident is a matter of grave concern to us all. We will now take all precautionary measures to thwart such attempts. This will include night patrolling, surveillance cameras, automatic main gates during night etc. These will certainly minimise incidents.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Everything was fine - easy parking, fast check-in. Bigger hotel than I originally thought and we didn't have much of a lake view at all which I had been expecting. Still, we were only here 1 night so not a huge problem. 10-15 minute drive from Rotorua where we ate - the hotel bar and restaurant were closed very early.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Lighter023:
What would have been the reson for your not able to view the Lake Rotoiti which right outside the rooms. Nearly all rooms have lakes views. If there are no more guests and no other late bookings, Restaurant and Bar close at 10pm. Sorry that you could not enjoy our amazing food and NZ wine. May be next time!

Pearl Beach, Australia
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stunning location, lovely "old world" scenario, serious lack of staff !!!! Rooms very comfortable & well appointed, breakfast & dinner excellent, pity one has to wait around to find someone to staff the bar.!!!!

Room Tip: Lake view room a must.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Duncan B:
Thanks for your feedback and I can appreciate your comments. We took over on 1st April 2014 and since then come a long way in tying up all loose ends. You will feel the difference now when you visit again.