“Good value, would stay again!”

Gwendoline Court Motel
Ranked #92 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Very friendly and helpful with all our enquiries! Room was clean and very large in comparison to other places we'd paid the same price for. Big bathroom with a spa! Free wifi. A bit old but overall we were very happy.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Aussie2166
SophieAuckland, Owner at Gwendoline Court Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Thank you for the feedback and comments, we look forward to seeing you on your next visit

Reviewed January 3, 2011

We stayed at Comfort Inn Gwendoline from 19-22nd December 2010, in unit number 13.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
From far away, Comfort Inn Gwendoline was pretty pleasant looking. It is first Motel you'd see when driving down Fenton Street (the main street that leads to the town centre) - but this would then be followed by dozens and dozens of other motels (which in my opinion, look more well-kept than this one) before you eventually reach the town centre.

We pulled up to the reception and one member of my group proceeded to check in for all of us. He came out with the room keys (my entire group had booked three units in total), and a stunned expression - and informed us that he suspected the lady at the reception was drunk.

Upon checking into our rooms, we found that one of the rooms given didn't match our booking and proceeded to the reception to report the discrepancy ... only to have the receptionist admit that she was drunk (our initial suspicions confirmed) and as a result, made the error. She wasn't kidding. The entire reception area smelled of alcohol. Needless to say, it was not a very nice welcome.

ROOM & AMENITIES:
I was staying in unit 13 with a group of 5 other people. Upon approaching the unit, we noticed a very pungent smell which didn't get any better even after we stepped into the unit. I suspect the fertiliser in the planter-box directly outside our unit's window is the source of the stench. The stench still remained as strong in the upper-floor of our unit and didn't go away despite us blasting the air with our air freshener.

The stench was actually what fouled up our overall stay at Comfort Inn Gwendoline. The amenities were otherwise average. Passable.

The good sides: Clean crockery, pots, pans and boiler in the kitchen (which was also pretty clean itself) and a decent toilet (the shower head had stains on it though - which wouldn't go away despite me wiping it with a wet towel - but it didn't affect the quality of the water coming out of it so I was fine with that).

I quite like the fact that the motel unit was two-storeyed. I stayed at the loft, which was pretty cozy. Oh, and there is free high-speed wireless internet access there - with a reliable and pretty stable connection.

The bad sides: The beds were obviously very old, because they were too soft to be considered comfortable - although the sheets were reasonably clean. The carpet was sticky ... needs a good vacuum and perhaps, a complete overhaul because I spotted quite a few permanent stains lying around. The air was musty ... and also further tainted by the stench (fertiliser stench?) I had mentioned earlier.

LOCATION:
Location wise, it's located pretty close to one geyser attraction just two streets away, and a short drive from amenities such as a supermarket (Countdown), a hypermart (The Warehouse - a hyperstore that sells everything from food to clothing and to stationery) and a small shopping centre (for the ladies' - pretty decent stuff there).

Food wise, there is 24 hour Macdonalds, Burger King and KFC within the vicinity of the other stores I've mentioned above.

For drivers, the petrol kiosk is a short 3-5 minute drive away from Comfort Inn Gwendoline. Just exit the Motel, turn left and drive straight. You should see a Shell station on your left.

OTHER THOUGHTS:
If this motel happened to be in a town with few other motels, I'd say this one is worth trying.

However, Comfort Inn Gwendoline happens to be located in a town (Rotorua) which is dotted with COUNTLESS other motels (all on the same street, side by side) which are within walking distance to Comfort Inn Gwendoline, all of which look several times better (and based on research, even garnered better reviews than this one).

So I'd say, skip this one and look at the others. Comfort Inn Gwendoline is only the first motel you'll see on Fenton Street when you first enter Rotorua. Just drive further down by one street and you'd see all the other motels I've mentioned.

It may seem at first that Comfort Inn Gwendoline has the benefit of location, but Rotorua is pretty small in general. Also, being the first motel you see on Fenton Street (the main street that leads to the town centre) when you *first* enter the town, it is actually furthest away from the town centre (with the rest of the motels along the same street being closer) ... although still pretty near. Not sure whether I am making sense here but ... I tried my best. Try to visualize?

On the whole, I feel that Comfort Inn Gwendoline is need for a proper overhaul in order to complete in Rotorua's tourism industry which is already overly saturated with accommodation choices.

It's no longer a question of "we get what we pay for". A large proportion of the other motels along the same street have comparable pricing and much better facilities (I took a stroll along the street and checked during my last night there ... out of curiosity) and when speaking to the other receptionists during my inquiries, it was evident they took much more pride in their motels than Comfort Inn Gwendoline.

My two cents. I hope this review helps.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank brendalogy
SophieAuckland, Owner at Gwendoline Court Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2011

We do appreciate such a detailed level of feedback, the positive and negative feedback has certainly provided us with a wealth of information.

We were greatly concerned when you stated that the person on the reception was drunk, we have fully investigated this, the receptionist displayed bloodshot and inflamed eyes at the time of check in, this was a result of a severe allergy, not from alcohol, and this is supported by a doctors certificate and by the medication she is taking. The receptionist did not confirm she had been drinking as this was not the case.

We do accept that one of the rooms had been changed from an executive room to a One bedroom Apartment, this was changed as the spa pool in the executive room was not operating and the receptionist was fully aware that all rooms required spa pools.

We are disappointed that you felt there was a strong smell, there is no fertiliser in the plant pots.

We have inspected the carpet in the room, and must disagree with you, the carpet is not sticky and is in fine condition.

We do appreciate your detailed report and hope you had a great stay in New Zealand

Reviewed December 21, 2010

Very roomy with an upstairs bedroom but overall shabby furnishings and neglect of basic cleanliness drops the standard. I'm sure the sheets were not clean, but after what seemed like a million kilometers driving and 3 hours in the spa pool outside the back door, I was past caring. Great Spa. Is 6.50 a.m. too early to check out of a motel? I don't think so, but they did.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Remittance-Man

Great to hear you enjoyed the spa pool

We NOW have NEW fresh clean pressed linen, since June 2014 we moved to hired linen, so the linen is fantastic, we are sure you will see a huge improvement

Reviewed July 12, 2010

We were booked in to stay on the 8th of July. We arrived at 3pm and were told we were booked into their sister motel down the road, and not to worry, because it would be "exactly the same" there.

We originally booked in for a two bedroom spa apartment at the Gwendoline, when we arrived at the other motel we had a one bedroom unit with a spa bath. Not sure how that is exactly the same?? I rang reception who sent up an uncomfortable trundler bed for one of the kids, the other two shared a sofa bed.

We are extremely unhappy with this situation, I don't understand how a booking can be made for a room that isn't available? Very poor serivce, we took a walk that night and found many other places we could have stayed, that would have accomodated our needs better.

Be warned!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank alisonbing
SophieAuckland, Owner at Gwendoline Court Motel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2010

We are sorry that you had a problem checking into the Motor Inn, On that particular day the boiler blew, and we were unable to provide hot water until it was repaired.

All the rooms at the Gwendoline Motor Lodge are one bedroom apartments, we transfered the booking to ensure the guest did receive a one bedroom room, the SilverOaks Resort Heritage is a sister property.

We are sorry for the inconvience caused, we would have contacted all guests to explain the situation but it happened at the time the majority of guests were checking in

Regards

Reviewed July 10, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights from 6 July. Great room for families with an upstairs bedroom . Great big spa outside. The decor was a bit dated but functional and all in good working order. Contrary to previous posts it was super clean. It's not 5 star but it's also not 5 star prices. Booked through Expedia and got a great price. I'd stay again and would recommend others do so as well.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
SophieAuckland, General Manager at Gwendoline Court Motel, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2010

Fantastic, thank you for your response, we are pleased you had a great holiday.

Regards Greg Wilson

Reviewed June 16, 2010

Despite what the previous two reviews on TripAdvisor say, I dug a bit deeper and found plenty more reviews on other web sites, the vast majority of which were positive. Yes, the hotel is quite old, but it is rather well kept and clean. You cannot beat the value - two bedrooms on two floors, full kitchen and a hot tub for way much less than the competition. With a great supermarket (Countdown) just down on Fenton street, the kitchen is extremely useful. Speaking of which - Fenton St appears to be the main touristic drag and most hotels are situated along it. This hotel is pretty much at the end of the hotel stretch of this street with Rotorua i-site located on the other end. Te Puia is located within a walking distance from the hotel.

The housekeeping did a terrific job; they even washed the dishes that we forgot to wash ourselves.

Don't bother looking for a Comfort Inn logo when looking for the hotel - as of late May 2010 they still had the The Gwendoline Court sign.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review, we are pleased you had a great stay.

We are proud of the cleanliness of our rooms.

Reviewed January 12, 2010

The Gwendoline Court rooms have an awesome setup for families - with two single beds upstairs & a double bed, lounge, kitchen, bathroom & decking outside with a spa all downstairs.
But the room we stayed in was absolutely filthy! There were bugs - both dead & alive everywhere. I don't think the room had been cleaned for a while.
The furniture was extremely dated & it showed, beds - well, we didn't sleep much as my husband & I kept imagining bed bugs & we did have itchy bites the next day!
Our rooms carpet had a dodgy, blood-looking stain by the front door - so, at least we had fun imagining what caused that!
The spa spat filthy, grime when the jets were turned.
The lady on the front desk was not helpful, didn't care about the lack of cleaning in the room & didn't seem to have very good local knowledge.
We checked out by 8am the following morning to stay elsewhere!

Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Ange128
SophieAuckland, Owner at Gwendoline Court Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2010

We are disappointed to hear your negative comments. To be honest it is difficult for us to respond to your comments considering you stayed in May 2009, and the comments were placed on the 12 Jan 2010, which is 9 months after you stayed.

Thank you for stating that the rooms are awesome for Families, do we appreciate that.

In relation to the cleanliness of the rooms, we do not agree with you and feel the rooms are extremely clean, I am extremely proud of my Head Housekeeper Judith, who has been with the property since day one, she is extremely through, and the stainless steel is always like a mirror.

We so not and have never had bed bugs, we have our rooms sprayed as a prevention by Bugs Pest Control, as we are very particular about our rooms.

I am very sorry you did not find our Manager helpful, Maria is very loyal and supportive of our business and she does always put 100% into everthing she does, I do have full confidence in Maria and I know she would normally go out of her way to ensure you had a fantastic stay,

I am extremely sorry to hear this was not your experience, and I do hope you will give a another chance to show you our normal high standards of customer service.

Thank you once again for your comments they are appreciated, and we will take this to heart and work to improve our standards