“tasty Indian”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2014

the restaurant was very busy the evening we went, and food was good. the veggie pakora was nice. overall the service was lacking as the staff seemed somewhat bored and distracted...Being a veggie I had the veggie jalfrezei which was nice. the others in party had chicken dishes which were all good. Overall prices were reasonable but they charged a holiday surcharge although although we were there on 2nd jan .....

There are newer reviews for Lovely India Tandoori Restaurant

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Food was pretty good. We had pumpkin filled samosas, chicken tikka, coconut prawns, butter chicken (their specialty and very rich), lamb madras (coconut curry) and garlic butter nan bread. Food was very tasty and plentiful. The nan bread was outstanding. Our family of four couldn't finish all the chicken and lamb dishes. Only drawback was we ate on Christmas Day and they assess a 15% surcharge.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Who doesn't love butter chicken? We had to try it as the sign outside said 'Best Butter Chicken in town'. Although I did not get to eat at every indian restaurant in Rotorua, I must say the butter chicken was indeed very good.

Most indian restaurants have their own unique taste to butter chicken, this one wasn't overpowering with cream like you get in a mall, which I liked and I didn't feel like I'd gained a lot of weight after eating!

Rice is not served with the meal so you have to order it separately. We also ordered garlic naan bread, nice amount of garlic too! You will get bad breath after eating that one haha but I love a lot of garlic.

All up we paid $70 for 2 people, 2 butter chickens, serving of rice, 2 garlic naan bread, 1 ginger beer. That is quite pricey in my opinion.

The bathrooms were nice and clean.

I would recommend this place if you are not tight on budget.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Maybe we just hit a terrible night here, not sure. Can only rate on what we experienced though.

On a busy Sunday night, we got a table after just a few minutes wait and were excited to order. After more than half an hour, we finally got beverages.
After more than an hour, the plates started coming out.

In the first round of plates, 3 of the plates had food still on them (2 had pastry flakes, one had baked on rice).
Pretty awful, obviously, so we sent them back to return with clean plates.

When the plates came back, the first plate (not a dish of food, just the plate), had a baked on green lump of.... something.

We returned these plates and, convinced that if they couldn't get clean plates right, there really wasn't a hope for anything else.

For the first time in my life, we walked out before even getting any food. I've never done that before but we just didn't feel safe eating in a place that can't get clean plates.

DO NOT RECOMMEND.

1  Thank GregariousOne
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We coincidentally ate at lovely india and ordered the Buttered Chicken and the Madras (chicken). It was really above expectations! Such nice flavors and nice portions. Maybe a little expensive, but overall great food!