“I stay here often and cannot understand some of your reviews”

Utuhina Hot Springs Lodge
Ranked #47 of 58 Specialty Lodging in Rotorua
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I almost never write reviews of anywhere. But some of your reviews sound to me like they were written about another place and not the one I know. I come down to Rotorua frequently for business and I nearly always stay here. Yes, it is a very old place but I have always found it immaculately clean. Yes, the last owner was unpleasant at times but it is now owned by a young Korean couple who are polite, friendly and veyr obliging and the place is very cheap, especially given this is a tourist hotspot. The pools are amazing value and frankly, you pay for everything in this city, up to 30 dollars just to have one session in a hot pool. Here, they are included in your room price. If you want to stay at the Hilton, expect to pay the Hilton price but if you want somewhere with great pools and cheap this is it. Yes, it is on the main road and getting out can be a problem, but in this country we dont necessarily want instand road acess and compared with the service I had anywhere in the US, I cannot understand some of these reviews

Room Tip: The oldest rooms are the cheapest so if you dont mind a faded carpet ask for the small rooms
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Chubdad

Reviewed November 25, 2010

This was the worst room we stayed in during our 5 week vacation. The carpet was filthy, the bathroom was so full of sandflies that we had to ask for Raid to kill them, and the furniture and drapes were discustingly old and dirty. There is a sign in the office that says "We do not show rooms, so don't ask". That should have been a clue. I didn't think I'd be able to stay in this room, but didn't think I could ask for a refund. We left first thing in the morning. I don't know about the other rooms, but this one was awful! DO NOT STAY IN THIS ROOM.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Kathy2602
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We stayed in in one of the river suites. Very nice view of hot springs creek. Later that night we soaked our tired and sore bodies (from 13 hour flight) in the natural hot spring tub. Definitely could feel the difference with the natural minerals and cleansing waters. The staff (Mr Lee and his family) were very friendly and accomodating. They were willing to assist with our questions and receommending places in town.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank myconductor
Reviewed September 5, 2010

I stayed here with a big group of friends. We loved it, great value - was awesome to have a house sleeping 14 keeping us all togeather. The pool was great. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I've just returned from 2 nights at Utuhina Lodge, our group was 2 adults and 4 children. Our unit had 2 rooms and housed us comfortably. After reading the earlier reviews I was expecting a dive, but was pleasantly surprised. The buildings are old and could do with a bit of maintainance, but the rooms were clean, kitchen hygenic and beds comfortable. The entire weekend was cold and wet but the kids loved having several hot pools handy, and the room was very warm. The staff were great.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Before I booked with Utuhina, I dutifully checked it out on Trip Advisor, but no reviews had been written about it. I found a great deal on Wotif, so I went ahead and booked. Between making the booking and leaving for my holiday, two really bad reviews were written about it! Needless to say, I was a little bit scared of what I would find when I checked in.

I've got to say, I was pleasantly amazed.

Now, I can see how if you were used to anonymous, immaculate, soulless motel rooms, Utuhina would have come as a shock. Soulless and anonymous it is not! We stayed in Rose Cottage, which is little historic cottage. Cute as a button, but a little rough around the edges. The furnishings are pretty historical too! Old-skool to the max. Think of your grandma's house and you'll have an idea. However, they were clean and comfortable, and everything you needed was there.

I like accommodation with character. I liked the sprawling Utuhina Lodge, especially the little hotpools tucked away in unexpected corners (also fantastic was the constant supply of big fluffy towels - awesome when you're jumping in and out of the pools several times a day). It felt like a homely place to stay - in fact, I found myself referring to it as 'home' in the three days I stayed there! It was far more pleasant to stay in than an anonymous motel room, and cheaper to boot. There was carparking right outside the door, the spectacular Kuirau Park was just across the road and the lake and town centre were a short walk away, and the staff were friendly and unobtrusive.

If you don't care that your accommodation isn't ultra-modern, I'd certainly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank lenamuse
Reviewed April 18, 2010

Rooms were dirty, infested with spiders and cobwebs, fridges were cracked inside, situated on a river bank consequently there were loads of mosquitoes. General site was overgrown and untidy, spa pools were small and generally the motel was not as depicted on their website and several gazetteers.

We requested a refund as we were unhappy and not prepared to stay in such conditions, this was refused and we are currently having to go through a dispute procedure with our bank.

Having had this experience I would strongly recommend that this motel was avoided like the plague.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family