“Don't let the name put you off”

Uncle Neil's Thai Cuisine
Ranked #68 of 219 Restaurants in Rotorua
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: This is open from Mon-Fri 11:30am -2:30pm 5:00pm - 9:00pm Sat and Sun 11:30 - 9:00pm Phone number is 348 0066 OP
Waikato
“Don't let the name put you off”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I don't know why it is called Uncle Neils. I avoided it initially due to the name as I didn't think it wouldeb authentic Thai. However, when it was recommended we found the food and service to be good. Authentic Thai meals of generous proportions. Was well patronised mid week.

Visited March 2013

Napier, New Zealand
“Great food, good price but so slow!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a great place to eat in Rotorua with dishes around $14 - $16, but just be prepared for a long wait which is unusual for this type of eatery.

Visited March 2013
Auckland
“Don't miss this”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

I read the reveiws and decided I would make my own mind up on Uncle Neil's Thai Cuisine. Boy did I get that right. Having spent over 5 months in Thailand over the last 5 years, I know my Pad Prik from my Thom Yum Goong.

This is authentic Thai food not dumbed down to suit the farang (foreigner). We ordered something that wasn't on the menu by it's true name but no doubt was there. It was Krapow Gai. We aslo ordered a beef and vegetable dish which was tender and the vegetables plentiful and cooked superbly.

Don't miss this if you love your Thai food.

Visited January 2013
Rotorua
“Cheap and cheerful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Was prompted to write this after seeing some of the negative reviews I have seen on this site for this restaurant - it is excellent! It's not a "fine dining" experience, it's a Thai "street food" experience that is cheap, cheerful and delicious. If you don't know where to start "Uncle Neil's Noodles" are a terrific introduction and for the more adventurous asbestos-mouthed (it's hot!) the "Angry Duck" is awesome. If you like the classics, the "Pad Thai" is as good as you can get. Sure, you're not going to have a waiter topping up your water and tucking a napkin into your shirt, but that's not what this place is. I wish the negative reviewers had thought a little more about that before publicly saying things that can really hurt a great small business. On the flip side, it keeps Uncle Neil's as a great secret for those of us in the know.

• Visited January 2013
“The food is good but because of the service i won't come back!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

The service is not good, and that is an understatmant... Our food was served to a diffrent table and we (and couple at that table) said it to the waitress - so she just gave me the dish, from their table, after they ate from it!!! I asked for a new one - it wasnt clear to the waitress. She told me they made a new one, but the food came out to fast and it was not hot... They dont speak english very well, so i didnt see the point of complaining and explaining - just paid and left. So if you are sitting there and somthing like that happens to you - just say you dont want the dish or order a diffrent one!!!

1 Thank Anatshimoni