“The way to do hiking..”
Review of Walking Legends

Walking Legends
Ranked #18 of 59 Tours in Rotorua
More attraction details
Owner description: Hike the Tongariro Crossing, Lake Waikaremoana & Coromandel Peninsula. Walking Legends provide all-inclusive guided walk packages on the North Island's Great Walks. Small groups led by an experienced, friendly guide. Includes accommodation, transport from Rotorua, hiking equipment, and great NZ-style meals and wine. Our guided hiking tours make it easy and rewarding to experience some of New Zealand's best walks, and to explore the remote and dramatic wilderness areas of the North Island.
Melbourne, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“The way to do hiking..”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I booked the three day Tongariro tour ..From the beginning of my experience to the end, Walking legends was amazing. Cathy was a great communicator, giving me all the information re. the walks, list of things to bring and accomodation recommendation. Our guide Phil was wonderful.. he is an amazing cook and a lovely person to spend time with. The Triple Peak lodge's view took my breath away. The house is a luxury place to stay in and the master bedroom was amazing. Overall, I would say this is the most luxurious walk I have been on and it's a lovely touch for the guide to take us to the hot springs and to Tongariro Chateau for a tea. Overall, I would highly recommend this tour for people who want to hike with a touch of luxury.

1 Thank Kakanova

• Korean first
Yerevan, Armenia
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Walk the Coromandel with a team that really knows, and cares!”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Walking trips in the Coromandel have a head-start on "fantastic" just by virtue of the natural drama and sheer beauty and diversity of nature there, but having knowledgeable well-organized guides to ensure you squeeze the last bit of juice out of this amazing fruits worth the cost. Walking Legends was superb - from Hilary and Cathy who handled my booking and many (many) queries and details, to Brad who led our small group and customized our four day Coromandel lodge trip so that it was exactly what our diverse little group would enjoy. Stunning scenery. Local secrets. Maori stories. Flora and fauna. History and legend. I would definitely do a trip with them again ... Heck, I would do THIS trip again with them!

Brisbane, Australia
“Coromandel Explorer - Fabulous family experience”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

My family had a fabulous four days on our Coromandel Explorer walk earlier this month. My children talk every day about memories from the trip, and how much they enjoyed it. Our guide (Brad) did an awesome job of tailoring the schedule to suit us and the weather so despite heavy rain we all loved the experience. I would definitely recommend this trip to anyone wanting to experience the gorgeous scenery of the Coromandel - particularly because it was enhanced by the detailed knowledge of a personable guide, comfortable accommodation, and fabulous meals. We hope to be back to do another of Walking Legends' trips!

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Lake Waikaremoana Discovery Tour”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Last year I walked the 4 day Lake Waikaremoana Walk. I must have impressed my walking friends with my tales and pictures that they decided to do a walk. We wanted to stay in one place and carry day packs only, have our meals cooked and be able to have hot showers everyday. Above all we wanted to be surrounded by beautiful scenery. So with help from Hilary (Walking Legends) we opted for The Lake Waikaremoana discovery Tour. As I know that age is not on our side and the other 4 wanted to do another walk, I suggested The Tongarrirro Crossing as a second walk. I had walked this Crossing in 1997 and in my books it comes a close second to the Milford Track with Lake Waikaremoana being a close third, as one of the finest walks in NZ. (I am only a moderate walker).
I was so overjoyed to find Jamie as our guide with Trent assissting. It didnt take long for my friends to appreciate Jamie's exceptional knowledge, both Trent and Jamie's caring compassionte and accommodating qualities to our 'classic'(old age pensioners) needs.
Our 4 day walk consisted of varied activities - moderate hiking, row boat, boat ride and a visit to the Moari Ceremony House.
Beside the walking, we were also interested in the flora, fauna and the wild life, hence many photo stops.
Our row boat trip was a trip to remember - two of us ladies took over the rowing and were making good progress until we were consumed with giggles, laughter and wild tales. The boat zig zaged and made no headway that Trent eventually took over and skill-fully rowed us to our lunch stop without disgracing ourselves too much in comparison to the other boat with the Bucket-listers and Jamie at the helm.
The visit to the Ceremony House was very enlightening and we came away with some knowledge of the Maori culture and customs.
The biggest adventure of all was The Tongarrirro Crossing. We were very fortunate for a clear day with forecasting rain later in the afternoon.
Chris - very compassionate, caring and knowledgable -was our (classic) guide while Rainier guided the Bucket-listers. I will be ever grateful to Chris for not pointing out Mt. Doom (Lord of the Rings) until I was half way across Southern Crater. The scenery was everything and heaps more than what I remembered from my previous vist - absolutely stunning. Also very grateful the rain stayed away till we were on our way home.
Walking Legend - Thank you very much for this most memorable adventure - one we the 'Classis' will never forget. Together with your complement of staff, you truly are A Legend.

Visited November 2013
4 Thank Sri M
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Coromandel Explorer”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Stunning scenery, amazing accommodation, excellent guide who had a vast knowledge of not only the flora and fauna of the area but also the Maori legends - what more could anyone ask for.

Visited October 2013