“Priceless” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Walking Legends

Walking Legends
Ranked #16 of 56 Tours in Rotorua
More attraction details
Owner description: Hike the Tongariro Crossing, Lake Waikaremoana & Coromandel Peninsula. Walking Legends provide all-inclusive guided walk packages on the North Island's Great Walks. Small groups led by an experienced, friendly guide. Includes accommodation, transport from Rotorua, hiking equipment, and great NZ-style meals and wine. Our guided hiking tours make it easy and rewarding to experience some of New Zealand's best walks, and to explore the remote and dramatic wilderness areas of the North Island.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Priceless”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Our guided walk in the Whirinaki Forest with our guide Brad was truly one of the most treasured days of our time in New Zealand. The walk was ethereal and Brad was very knowledgeable of the area, the vegetation and local culture. My son and I felt very privileged to have been guided by someone so knowledgeable. Without a doubt we would highly recommend Walking Legends for anyone wanting a guided wilderness tour.

1 Thank Wildflower233
Hilda011, Owner at Walking Legends, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Great to hear! The Whirinaki is truly one of this planet's special places, and Brad is one of our special guides! Hope you can return to NZ again soon. Regards, Hilary

• Korean first
Sydney, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Can you do 3.5 stars?!! Beautiful walk, good service but slightly too pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

It was certainly good, not 'average' but that doesn't seem to be a category.
The walks were great, the guides lovely and Hilary, who arranges everything, extremely helpful. The lodge we stayed in was beautiful as well.
Our only criticism would be that at almost $1000 per night for us as a couple, the level if service was just not what one would expect. We readily and happily spend this and more, but expect a higher level of service. Though the guides were lovely, there was not the type of hospitality you would expect for this range. I think if prices and therefore expectations were lower, it would be perfect. I certainly would recommend this to friends.. But perhaps let them know it's not a silver service sort of holiday.. We completely accept that this is a different sort of holiday and our expectations may have been wrong but the prices were a little steep not to have this expectation.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Bunnyrabbit123
Hilda011, Owner at Walking Legends, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thanks for your feedback. Sorry that you feel the trip was expensive. In comparison to other walking tours in NZ our trips are actually at the lower end of the price scale. We also include wine, beer and hiking equipment, while most other operators charge extra for these. I agree it seems like it is a case of expectations not being inline with the product. Glad you enjoyed the walks and guides. Cheers, Hilary
Huia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Luxury wilderness experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Loved every minute. I booked this trip with Walking Legends mainly due to inaccessibility of area and their transport into the area. I also wanted to leave all the arranging and booking to someone else, after arranging bookings for similar trips myself in the past - huts, food and transport - which becomes a hassle. They took care of every little detail and I was really impressed with the level of care and the standard of the meals and arrangements. The guides were knowledgable about the Maori history of the area, plant life and also pretty good at beating us all at cards every evening. Would strongly recommend to anyone wanting a guided trip into a beautiful and interesting part of New Zealand

1 Thank StretchieHuia
Auckland, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lake Waikaremoana Guided Walk”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Fantastic experience, beautiful country. We were looked after very well and all the organisation and logistics was expertly taken care of. Highly recommend this company to organise and guide this trip for you. The guides were wonderful.

1 Thank 576DeniseD
Whakatane, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Waikaremoana Tramping tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I choose Walking Legends for a guided walk as I am over 60 and this walk was on my bucket list but never got around to doing as could not get my friends together at the same time and for me I thought time was moving on.The helpful guide of a list of what was needed for the walk made decisions easy. I found that I had not over packed my pack.
A real plus is to have someone provide the meals after a day of tramping. Previous to this tramp I had only done 1 to 1 and a half. hour walks, but hoped that my fitness would be up to it.

As a first-timer to stay in Doc Huts, I am glad we had Jamie and Sam with us. They made sure we got bunks fogether as a group, and made each night a relaxing treat, with delightful food which made other trampers look on with envy. While the tramp was not easy, the views and trees were memorable, and a great sense of achievement on completing the challenge. We were all very weary bunch on the ride out. Will be recommending Walking Legends.
Special thanks to Jamie and Sam our guides