“The best way to see Rotarua!”
Review of Volcanic Air

Mt Tarawera Helicopter Tour with Volcano Landing
$668.60*
White Island Helicopter Flight and Volcano Walking Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer you an extensive range of scenic helicopter flights and scenic floatplane air tours.Land on the active Volcano of White Island or our dormant Volcano Mt Tarawera.View from above the dramatic and spectacular destination of Rotorua. The main theme of our scenic flight tours is to showcase the many crater lakes, volcanic and geothermal landscape of the region Rotorua and Bay of Plenty.
Sydney
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best way to see Rotarua!”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We took a 15 minute helicopter flight out over Rotorua to Blue Lake and Green Lake, flying over nearby forest covered mountains. The pilot was knowledgeable and friendly. While not cheap (about $195 NZD each), we were able to arrange a flight at less than an hours notice. The morning was wet and cloudy so we decided to wait until the weather cleared before committing to taking a flight.

If you only did one thing in Rotorua, I think that this is what I'd recommend.

Visited March 2012

Hastings, New Zealand
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Amazing flight!”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

My friend and I took at float plane trip on a Saturday morning. We went up in the bigger float plane, carrying I think 10 passengers. My friend was lucky enough to sit by the pilot! We flew over various lakes and geothermal areas, with knowledgable commentary from the pilot. We were unable to fly over top of Mount Tarawera due to low cloud, but flew by the side of it. To make up for missing flying over the top of Mount Tarawera, the pilot took us over the Wai-o-Tapu geothermal area. Despite being a New Zealand resident and spending much time previously in Rotorua, I saw many things I did not even know about!
The experience of taking off and landing on water was also great.
The flight was 45 minutes, though I think we were up for longer than this. You need to arrive a bit early for a weigh in (don't worry, its done as a group) and safety briefing. Allow just over an hour. I think they also take longer flights.
I would definitely recommend this flight to visitors to the region, and even locals too!

Visited February 2012
Brisbane, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Expensive but most memorable trip”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

This was a personal helicopter trip to and guided tour of the crater of the White Island volcano, the only really active volcano in NZ. My wife and I, and the pilot/guide were the only people on the island for nearly an hour (until the next helicopter arrived). The experience was too overwhelming for words - it was truly the trip of a lifetime. Only drawback is the high price.

Visited February 2012
Melbourne, Australia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Beautiful scenic flight in lovely old aircraft - every seat is a window seat.”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

What a great tour!
It's the best way to see Lake Rotorua and Mt Tarawera as well as the surrounding area.
We went up in the refurbished 1954 DHC Otter Float Plane where every seat is a window seat and what a trip..... The views were spectacular, the aircraft was large and felt very safe and there is something extra special about taking off and landing on water..... It's an over-wing aircraft which means the views below are uninterrupted.
Well worth it although they only run this plane if they have larger numbers (seats 10). They also use a cessna and a helicopter as well.
Excellent service, commentary and a great trip all round!!

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Colleen B
lafayette hill, pa, usa
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Terrific helicopter tour with Volcanic Air Safaris to White Island and Mt. Tarawera”
Reviewed February 1, 2012

I had arranged to take the White Island and Mt. Tarawera helicopter tour and had booked it months ago, when they had felt that there would be no problem finding someone to accompany me for the minimum 2-person flight. Unfortunately, they were unable to do so—not their fault, but I decided that this was something that I really wanted to do, and so agreed to pay for two seats, even though one would have been wasted (my wife was tired and just wanted to get pummeled and pampered in a spa!) When I got to my flight, Julie, with whom I had been dealing, told me that she was working on someone to accompany me, but he was reluctant to pay the whole fare, and she wondered if she could sell him a ticket at a discount, and have me make up the difference. Given that I had been willing to pay for the full extra fare, I jumped at it, and she went and negotiated with him. It netted out with my paying a bit more, but not double, and all three parties were happy, thanks to the extra effort made by Julie! Plus she was nice enough to give me a complimentary photograph.

The trip, itself, was fantastic! Seeing the chasms created in Mt. Tarawera was amazing, as from the air, you can see the straight line that they fall into.

But the best part was circling and landing on White Island. It is truly as though a child was given some colors, mud and steaming water, together with some minerals and algae, and told to come up with the widest things that she could imagine! You walk along inside a volcano, that is due for another eruption in a few years, and every corner that you turn exposes amazing sights. I could easily have spent the whole day just on the island. What is also remarkable is that there is this extremely weird region which is really not very man-friendly, given the heat, the acidity, and the chemicals (arsenic, amongst others), and then there is this beautiful stretch of beach with clear blue/green water!

While I have seen several remarkable things so far in my journey in NZ, this was the most alien, in a wonderful way.

Visited January 2012