“Great spa”
Review of Wai Ora Spa

Wai Ora Spa
Ranked #5 of 14 Spas & Wellness in Rotorua
More attraction details
Owner description: Wai Ora Lakeside Spa Resort is situated on the picturesque shores of Lake Rotorua, central to Rotorua Airport, the city and the famous geothermal attractions of Rotorua. This contemporary lakeside resort features luxurious accommodation, and superb day spa facilities centred on New Zealand’s geothermal, cultural and natural heritage.
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Reasonable prices, great location and wonderful staff. Would certainly recommend a booking if you are looking for a little pampering.

1  Thank Lewis C

Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Don't get a downstairs room, you hear everything.. very pee'd off.

Other than that it was a nice vist.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Previously I’ve stayed much closer to the city centre when visiting Rotorua but being a special holiday for my partner and myself I chose the Wai Ora because the facilities looked interesting and its location is further away from the sulphuric end of Lake Rotorua (which can’t be underestimated if you are travelling with someone unfamiliar with the initial assault on the senses that comes with visiting Rotorua!).

I’m more used to the ‘Rotorvegas’ experience of finding my accommodation amongst the rows of motels and hotels lining the inner city, so when we turned off into a suburban street I was wondering if we’d got the directions wrong – but sure enough at the end of a street and facing the lake was the Wai Ora and it was a very pleasant arrival. The hotel and spa date back to the fifties but have obviously been modernised very recently – the rooms are on the smaller side but the space maximised by the renovation, the restaurant (Mokoia) was fantastic – I love sampling food and at Mokoia they let you choose three entrees or mains which are served as a shared platter for two, the restaurant has won Beef and Lamb awards for the last five years running and they truly deserve those awards.

The staff were friendly and attentive and helped arrange a visit to the Tamaki Village for the cultural evening, it was a shame that the weather prevented us from making the most of the facilities (there are two swimming pools) but we did have a Jacuzzi, we didn’t get to use to the spa facilities because we were out most of the time we were there, but they looked very good and obviously people are go there especially for the spa treatments – I guess it’s a reason to go back!

The Wai Ora is a destination resort that may not be in the middle of all the action, but providing you have transport it isn’t very far to get around into the city and to be honest I quite liked being a little removed from the really touristy part of town – I’ve been to Rotorua often so it was a new way of seeing the area and I really enjoyed our stay.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed one night and were told that it was full - surprisingly there weren't more that about 8 cars in the car park all the time we were there! And we saw very few people there
Had a nice spa together although the girl who looked after my wife had clearly been eating spicy!
Slough on the lake the view was not wonderful and the lot between the lake and the hotel was like a wasteland which was a letdown
Facilities we a bit dated and although we were going to go in the spa pool after our massages the presence of a couple doing 'heavy petting' was a turnoff completely and the spa by the pool was cold!
Breakfasts sparce. My wife had the bread basket and although the jams were good they're need a microscope to be seen!
I had the eggs Benedict - or egg Benedict as there was only one and the ham again microscopic
We had been told that everywhere we went in NZ we would get great coffee and generally that is right apart from this place. The coffee was in a cafetiere but was like like warm coloured water. Shame
Won't be returning

Reviewed December 12, 2013

The resort itself is a boutique style with attentive staff and almost perfect in their care of the resort. The view is incredible as it is right on the lake, but we never smelled sulfer. The location is very close to the airport, but we never heard one airplane. Rotorua city center is very nearby so its a very quick trip but that leaves the resort nice and quiet and peaceful. The spa was the best we have ever been to. Very relaxing and the technicians are very skilled. The facial included mud from Hell's Gate (a local geothermal spot with rejuvenating powers). We loved how clean the rooms are and very current in décor and well maintained. The restaurant was incredible, but for us was a bit steeply priced so we only enjoyed it one night.