“Great introduction to rafting for younger kids!”

River Rats Raft & Kayak
$105.70*
Rangitaiki River White Water Scenic Rafting from Rotorua
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: River Rats have been offering quality adventures for over 30 years. There’s something for everyone, from a gentle grade 2 scenic raft trip suitable for participants as young as 5 years old, through to full on grade 5 action featuring the world's highest commercially rafted waterfall. Kayaking is available as freedom hire or a guided tour. Paddle the local lakes to a secluded beach or enjoy a hot water swim only accessible by boat.
Hong Kong
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great introduction to rafting for younger kids!”
Reviewed January 5, 2010

My son is 8 and he was nervous about rafting for the first time. He didn't know what to expect and the anxiety fully kicked in when he put on the wet suit, life jacket and helmet. We went on the Grade 2 for beginners and the guide really made the kids at ease by making the whole experience fun. Not trying to expose too much, but the rapids were just appropriate for younger kids rafting for the first time and the guide made the whole experience even better with games and even few plunge in the water. At the end of the whole experience, my son told me it was the highlight of his holiday and surely one he would remember for a long time! Thanks River Rats for making it such a wonderful experience for my son! Cheers!

1 Thank globeunity

Marquette, MI
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Awesome Rafting on Kaituna!”
Reviewed December 21, 2009

My husband and I did the raft trip on the Kaituna, over the 7 meter fall. in late October. I was a bit apprehensive because I did not want to go on grade 5 river. However, the trip was really FUN - the rapids and falls were exciting and not too scary, with quiet pools below each falls. The BIG fall was a bit intimidating until we went over it, but I would do it again! The two guides were very nice and provided excellent mini training before we left. The river scenery is beautiful and it was one of the best things we did on our one month holiday. They picked us up and dropped us off where we stayed - very convenient and friendly. And the pictures were THE BEST!!!

Los Angeles, California
477 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 665 helpful votes
“Rangitaiki and Kaituna fun fun fun”
Reviewed December 2, 2009

The Rangitaiki is not a V and hardly a IV but it was fun. It is alway fun to be in the river. They had this terrible lunch with a worse location in a dirty old kitchen back at base camp were you change in similar facilities. The Kaituna was a lot of fun, but it is only one exiting rapid. The water is cold even though they give you a wet suit and boots. But they are old and don't really keep much water out. Guides were not very exited, I guess they have been doing this too long. I would do it again!

RiverRatNZ, Owner at River Rats Raft & Kayak, responded to this review, December 21, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to place feedback.
I am pleased to hear that you considered the trips fun and would do it again.
i would like to respond to some of your comments.
The Rangitaiki trip is promoted as being mostly grade 3 with one grade 4 rapid.
The base is a campground belonging to a local Maori Trust as it is a remote area there is no other options for a base. I agree that the facilities are basic but they are always clean and tidy and provide an area for showers and to have lunch. Some of our opposition just change at the rivers edge.
The lunch is a sandwich selection lunch and on average our custopmers rate it 4 out of 5 on our customer feedback forms.
Our wetsuits and boots are updated at least every 2 years. We also have fleeces and spray jackets available for colder days.
Regards Justin Hutton
Managing Director
Auckland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Introduction to Rafting”
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Went there on late October, and it was still off peak. The owner came in especially to hire out kayaks for me and a friend. I wanted something nice and easy, for my first solo experience on a sea kayak. The price was reasonable, the proprietor really friendly, and knew his stuff. The fee included the outfit and the kayak, even the little waterproof baggies to keep your phone and camera safe. He plotted a route in the river, which was excellent - the houses gave way to native greenery within minutes, save a wee jetty poking out here and there. It was a glorious day and a wonderful experience just paddling on a fairly easy course; anyone can do it! The paddle against the current back to the starting point was exhausting but worth the effort. I plan on doing it again the next time I'm in Rotorua!

Brisbane, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A must do on the North Island of NZ!”
Reviewed August 24, 2009

My husband and I did the Kaituna Grade 5 on our recent trip to Rotorua. It was fabulous! The guides are really friendly and give you the easy to understand safety info. They all love their job and it shows. It is exhilirating and not overly scary - you would have to be very unlucky or acting like a fool to get hurt doing this sort of trip. The 7m waterfall drop was awesome! My husband and I LOVED our trip and are hoping to come back soon to do the Wairoa trip which only runs 26 times a year. The scenery is fabulous. I highly recommend doing a River Rats trip to anyone who is in the Rotorua region!

1 Thank georgeybaby