“When it was good ... but when it was bad ...”
Review of Aria's Farmlet

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rotorua
Aria's Farmlet
Ranked #40 of 52 Rotorua B&B and Inns
South Australia
“When it was good ... but when it was bad ...”
Reviewed June 29, 2010

My family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children aged 9 & 12) stayed for 4 nights in the Cabin. Our first impression was not good - ultra tiny 'family' room with 1 uncomfortable 3-seater sofa & 2 old wheeled desk chairs. The cockroach that ran across in front of me when I put the light on didn't help things. My initial response was to turn around and leave, but we proceeded onward down a narrow passage to the main bedroom. This was a complete contradiction to the family room. Nice clean room with tasteful, good quality bedlinen, and what we later discovered was an extremely comfortable bed. Not exactly a spacious room, but enough for 2 suitcases on the floor. The second bedroom had a bunk bed with double bed at the botton, single bed at the top. Not spacious, but sufficient. The bathroom was also tiny, but the shower was always hot and even after 5 showers in 1 day didn't run cold. The kitchen had everything you would need for meals. Not terribly clean, but still able to be used. Both bedrooms had a strip air conditioning unit on the wall. As there were no spare blankets anywhere that we could find these were both on all night. No heating in the family room, so the a/c was on in the bedrooms whenever we were there.

Having the negatives out of the way, there were a lot of touches that made up for the shortcomings. Kayaks & bikes are available for use, the farm animals are friendly, shampoo and conditioner is available in a large dispenser in the shower, lots of extra towels & pillows (why not blankets??), there is a large spa outside spa kept at a perfect temp, a bbq and outdoor area for the summer months. The Cabin (and The Cottage - a much larger version of the Cabin for 6+ people) are set back from the owners' home. This gave it a very private feel.

The owners were absolutely lovely - never intrusive. We were brought a bowl of fresh eggs just after we arrived. When we asked where the nearest laundromat was our washing was requested, done and dried, and delivered folded to our door the next morning. That really was above and beyond!!

We received a greatly reduced price on our stay, presumably as it was the off season. The title I gave my review really does sum up our stay here. We truly did appreciate some of the extra touches, but these were negated by the lack of space and overall cleanliness. From my impression of a brief glimpse into the Cottage (BIG family area with what I believe was an open fire!!) I think we would have been better off paying the 6 person rate and booking the Cottage rather than the Cabin. While I would most definitely NOT recommend the Cabin, the Cottage may be worth a try.

I feel a great sense of responsibility being the first to review Aria's Farm and I have considered my comments at length before posting. Basically, the owners are great as are some of the facilities they make available, but the Cabin needs a complete overhaul and rethink of layout. The location is several km's from Rotorua, so you would need a car.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank OrlandoAussies
Kerris B, Owner at Aria's Farmlet, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Ah I've just discovered this fabulous site two years later LOL ;-))
Sorry about the couch, I agree it was getting kinda old - it was upgraded last year to a brand new funky modern one!
There are also now spare duvets for every bed in both rooms too (I think you may have mentioned this at leaving time, so we immediately sorted it.)
Our rental holiday home terms require guests to clean the kitchens, so I'm sorry if the previous guests didn't leave it 100%. I've asked the housekeeper to keep an eye out...
Unfortunately I can't do much about normal bugs from the farm and forest wandering around now and again though...thats just one of the things that will happen in nature...
And thank you for your review ;-))
Kerris

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)