“Great for a big group of friends !”

Ann's Volcanic Rotorua Motel and Serviced Apartments
Ranked #63 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great for a big group of friends !”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had a great weekend @ Ann's volcanic Motel :) Ann was awesome as well as her staff ! I highly recommend this place to stay. It is minutes away from town and the local shopping areas and easy to find :) Me and 8 friends stayed here and the batch accommodated us all very well. I will consider staying here again if we travel to Rotorua in the future. Thank you once again :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Annsvolcanic, Owner at Ann's Volcanic Rotorua Motel and Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Malo, Thank you so much for your lovely review. I remember you so well. I do understand being 'tour leader' can have its difficulties...essentially you have to find a nice balance for everyone.You and your group were lovely!!! please come stay again if you can ... I would love to have you all again. Thank you and have a lovely 2013 Ann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Ann was amazing, so friendly & advised us of all the good places to go to in Rotorua. The bed was comfy & it was really nice to have our own private courtyard! Ann made us feel welcome & if we ever needed anything she was there straight away taking care of business. The motel is off the main road which I prefer as it makes it easy to get in & out of the motel driveway. It's still quite central to everything so you don't feel like you're too far away from the city life.
I'd definitely stay there again!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Maureen M
Dear Maureen, Thank you so much for a wonderful review. I am so very very pleased you had a lovely stay. I agree with you!... it is easier to be a little bit removed from the main road (FYI; we are located one street off the main road, 1min drive to the Central Mall and 3mins drive to the lakefront) . A lot of my guests return because of this.
I hope you are able to come again. i would love to see you . Thanks again. Ann
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our three nights at Ann's Volcanic. The motel was conveniently situated close to most activities and supermarkets, but not on a very busy road. Rooms were clean and homely (but a bit dated in decor) with a kitchenette well equipped for basic meals. The single beds were very comfortable but the queen bed quite old with a 'roll to the middle' feel to it. I requested a single mattress for me to sleep on the floor for the last night, this was very obligingly provided and much more comfortable for my sore back. Ann was extremely knowledgable about all the tourist options available and recommended excellent activities for my very active family with teenage kids.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 & 2 can be a little bit noisy with road noise in the mornings.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hi !! What a nice review- thank you ! I remember your lovely family very well. I hope your bad back is a little better. That was the first time I have ever provided a mattress for the floor.... but it helped and I am glad...thank Goodness! I like a concrete bed but funnily my guests don't - funny that!?- so beds tend to be firm but not tooo firm. Even with your terrible painful back you were so sweet and laid back. I am happy you enjoyed your stay. Come again soon.... Ann
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Four friends and I stayed here for two nights during mid-December. They are NZ residents and the apartments were recommended to them by their friends who'd stayed there previously. The establishment is situated in an area of Rotorua which is fortunately not affected by the all-pervading sulfurous stink.

There was a hiccup over the booking: my friend had telephoned a few days before we travelled and spoken to Ann herself, who'd confirmed the booking, but hadn't, apparently, "written it in the book". Consequently, the apartment we had been expecting was already occupied and Ann was nowhere to be found. However, we were immediately offered comparable facilities, which easily met our needs - and were a little cheaper - so we took it.

We were opposite the Reception and near the road, but it's not terribly busy and we weren't disturbed by traffic noise. We had a self-contained unit, consisting of two good-sized rooms, one with twin beds and the other with a double and sofa-bed. There was a small, well-supplied kitchen area and a rather badly-designed bathroom, in which there was far too much unused space. We also had a spa bath in the rear courtyard which the kids absolutely adored. There was a dining table and chairs in the main room, together with an addtional armchair and colour TV. The kitchen was supplied with a kettle, small fridge, plenty of cutlery and crockery and a microwave. Since we didn't need them, I don't recall whether there were any cooking facilities.

While I'll admit that some of the furniture may be looking a little tired and the rear courtyard could certainly benefit from some TLC, I can't reconcile the place we stayed in with the "filthy hole in the ground" that one reviewer wrote about. Our apartment was absolutely spotless - and trust me, I check everywhere for hidden dirt. The bedding and mattresses were clean and fresh and the kitchen and bathroom were clean enough that you could have eaten from the floor in either area. While I'm led to understand that ants are a perennial problem in NZ, I didn't see any evidence of any form of insect life in or around our apartment. The internal decorations can best be described as "kitsch", but it was clean and tidy.

The shower was powerful and provided plenty of hot water for all five of us twice daily. My friends told me that their beds were comfortable and they slept well, but I have to state that the sofa bed - in common with most of their kind - wasn't remotely comfortable and I slept very badly on both nights. I imagine a child would sleep adequately on it, but it's stretching the imagination somewhat to think an adult could.

The other slight grumble is that the Wi-fi signal is very poor unless you sit by a window. We were advised about this problem, but it made simple internet usage a rather irritating experience, and I'm sure the problem could be easily remedied.

All-in-all, we were satisfied with our stay and would likely stay there again. I'd recommend the place if you are looking for basic, clean accommodation away from the city centre - and that stink!

Room Tip: Ask for a spa bath. After walking around those stinky volcanic parks all day, you'll appreciate...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Darkwind
Annsvolcanic, Owner at Ann's Volcanic Rotorua Motel and Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Hi There! Thank you so much for your review!! i really appreciate it. i am glad you enjoyed your stay and i will hopefully see you again. Lovely to have a balanced and detailed account. All the best for a wonderful 2013. Ann
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Why would anyone want to stay in this filthy place? The rooms were discusting, with flies and cockroaches and so dusty that all the crockery had to be washed before it could be used. No sign of Anne either, so management were not prepared or "authorised" to do anything about it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank S B
Hi Everyone, it appears this is a review which was either fraudulent by a person who did not stay here or written about the wrong motel. Trip Advisor are helping get to the bottom of it for me . best wishes for a Happy New Year Ann
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My son and partner were visiting from the States and wanted a trip to Rotorua.We decided Ann's Volcanic Motel was the place to go to and behold it was the perfect choice! Ann went out of her way to make their trip a memorable one.The accomodation was excellent. All amenities provided were superb including the spa. Perfectly situated, close to the city centre and bus stop's. Ann goes the extra mile in making sure your stay is a memorable one.

Room Tip: Book early and try to get a room with a spa.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ugo339
Hi !!! What can i say but THANK YOU! I am so grateful and humbled that you took the time out of your busy schedule to review my motel. My staff Sindy, Bernice and myself...try awfully hard to make everyone's stay pleasant,enjoyable and as relaxing as possible. We really like helping with maps , itinararies etc and it is so rewarding to get a review like yours! Thank you ..I am touched- Ann
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Ann's warm welcome as we checked in set the tone for an enjoyable weekend. The rooms were neat and spacious. No frills and latest modcons but comfortable. We enjoyed the privacy of the outdoor spa and the distance from Fenton Strret and the overpowering sulpher smell that exudes from the main tourist attractions. Ann's knowlegde of the area is amazing and was able to point out some attractions that would be of interest to us.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Annsvolcanic, Owner at Ann's Volcanic Rotorua Motel and Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
thank you so much for your very kind review. i truly appreciate the time you took to write it. i a m sorry if you were misinformed by the category Trip Advisor has put me in for some strange reason....i am supposed to be in HOTEL category (only since TRIP ADV's inception) but recently after 3 months of all kinds of balls ups ...TRIP ADVISOR decided to first amalgamate me with another motel ...Good Grief!... then in their 'wisdom' TRIP ADV placed me in B&B category.?.? Thanks to all my gorgeous guests and guests- to- be for being understanding. If you wanted Breakfast (B&Bs do those) and found I do not do Breakfasts...you will find there are so many great cafes nearby and you have 'self catering' facilities in your accommodation here and a nearby supermarket...such a money -saving choice. MAYBE soon TRIP ADV will read this and fix it up. fingers crossed eh? it has only been going on since JULY.(31.10.12). Best regards, Ann.