“Not a bad pizza”

Pizza Pasta Ruffino
Ranked #10 of 58 Restaurants in Paihia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Ruffinos Pizza and Pasta has been located in Paihia for 18 years. We specialise in Homemade Pasta and pizzas, you can also create your own pizza. We are now doing gluten free pizza. We are fully licensed and also BYO wine. Dine in or Takeaway available, we do not deliver
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Good to grab a takeaway and take to the local park

There are newer reviews for Pizza Pasta Ruffino

Reviewed February 5, 2012

Great value and lovely food, it's not in a fab location but it's worth a visit

Reviewed February 3, 2012

Well priced, good food that came quick...worth the walk up the stairs...

Reviewed December 19, 2011

Annoying because you have to walk up two flights of stairs and wind your way along a corridor to find this place and then once inside, the only resemblance to being an Italian restaurant is a couple of photographs taken around Rome. (The remaining art work includes a large fishing chart of the local area, some local canvas art and some ceramic plates adorning the walls with pictures of fruit on them).
Embarassing because this is a top tourist destination town and the owners/operators of this business should be ashamed of themselves presuming that they can call themselves a "restaurant". It is really a take away with some tables and chairs. It's only saving grace is the fact that the food is edible.
Here's how our miserable experience unfolded: First let me tell you that it was my husband's idea to eat here. He loves italian food, I'm not that fussed with it myself and having eaten in Italy, I know, that even there in the motherland, you don't always have a fantastic eating experience (or maybe we have just been really unlucky!), so I am a somewhat reluctant
Italian eater here in good old NZ. We trundle up the two flights of stairs and along the corridor to be greeted by a good kiwi bloke behind the counter, looking like he has just stepped off his fishing boat, wearing his grotty old shorts and an equally grotty, stained tshirt, no apron, making pizzas. Gidday, take a seat. Not many others in the "restaurant"; a table of loud Canadians and another couple.
We sat ourselves down at a table, myself reluctantly on a covered bench seat that was stained and could do with a damm good wash and then gazed up the art work above me. Some type of abstract framed print that I swear I could write my name across the glass, it was filfthy and food splattered and had obviously never been wiped over. The menu was of the laminated variety (no pictures!) with all the predictable Italian choices of pastas, Pizza's, including a "Gourmet" selection and "Fried Foods". I selected a small gourmet pizza and hubby the carbonara and two glasses of their house red.
The carbonara was dumped down in front of me by the waitress and when I pushed it across the table to my husband she laughed as she walked away saying "oh, wrong way round". My "gourmet" pizza duly arrived, I think the pine nuts on it elevated it to "gourmet" status, but it was simply pesto and sliced tomato on a soft, doughy base. The carbonara was fine.
We were never asked if our meals were ok or if we wanted more to drink and were never offered water. Generally forgotten about once we were served our meals. I could not get out of their quick enough - it was just a thoroughly miserable eating experience that we had to pay for and embarassing, because we were the only NZ'ers there, and those overseas visitors would have been subjected to exactly the same experience in such a lovely destination. Fortunately for Paihia there are several really good restaurants and Pizza Ruffino can be given a wide berth!

Reviewed November 11, 2011

We tried both the pizza and the pasta and it was SO delicious...I mean really, really yummy...and reasonably priced (especially compared with the prices of other restaurants in this tourist town). We would definitely go back there again and recommend the restaurant with confidence.

1  Thank Sarah R