“Very underwhelming”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 30, 2013

First of all, the woman wouldn't seat us in the front of the restaurant when there were 75% open tables in the restaurant bc she said she wanted to leave it open for 4 people (there were only 2 of us). Ok, so we sit in the back and ordered our entrees which took at least 30-40min to come out. I had the sushi and sashimi plate. It was horrible. The sushi was at least 2 days old with hard, dried out rice and the tiny piece of salmon in there was smaller than my pinky nail and about as thin. Truly awful. Then the sashimi was about 4 pieces of off cuts of salmon (no other fish than salmon) and it didn't have the normal retangular nice cuts of sashimi but clearly the corners of salmon fillets that the nearby table had and variable thickness throughout with strips and triangles etc. Unimpressive. The soup my husband had was tomato and tuna and it was a tomato sauce that you would put on pasta. Not good.
He asked for another glass of wine and asked for pinot noir. The woman brought back a glass of white wine. He said he asked for pinot noir which is red. She was clearly annoyed and walked away eventually to bring back what he ordered.
At least the main that we both ordered (the fish of the day which was grouper, chargrilled) was quite good. At least in comparison bc we were bracing ourselves for a repeat quality of the entrees. At the end, the bill was $128 for 2 glasses of wine, 2 entrees and 2 mains.
We wouldn't go back.

1  Thank Gioia p

Reviewed March 30, 2013

The mains we ordered (king prawns with garlic and chili) were very tasty. We got 7 huge prawns each so $31 was value for money. The starter was ok (platter with 2 mussels, 2 oysters, sashimi, tuna and sushi) and the bread was nice. Every time I've been here the food was fresh and tasty. This place would be even better if the service was a bit more professional. We really had to wave to get their attention and other customers were waiting for quite a while (there were only 4 tables outside). Overall again a lovely visit.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I enjoyed a wonderful seafood fettucine and my partner had the snapper. Dessert was a delicious Bailey's chocolate mousse. We were very pleased with the attentive and professional table service (not usually a highlight of NZ dining). Definitely recommended for a special evening out.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had a really excellent seafood meal here during our visit to Pahia. The service was very friendly and the quality of the food was first-class. If you want a really nice seafood meal, this is the place to come in Paihia.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was surprised to read the last couple of lukewarm reviews for this restaurant. We were there recently and my partners entree seafood platter was excellent value for money. My oysters were good, with the only complaints being that they hadn't been deshelled and were a little difficult to remove from shell.

Unfortunately I couldn't fit in dessert!