“terrible!!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Whilst on holiday in Pahia, my partner and I decide to dine at Lip's cafe for dinner on Waitangi Day. We had been there before on our last visit, 2 years prior and we both really enjoyed it. so this time we decided to go again. Big Mistake. They were not overly busy. There were a few customers but not hectic. The waitress, who should really retire was getting confused and was running off her feet. There was another girl but she disappeared as quickly as she appeared! This poor lady really needed some help. After waiting approx. 15 mins, we eventually got our menus. We ordered oysters and a chicken salad for entrees. About 10 mins later, the waitress comes back and informs us that the oysters didn't arrive and there were no chicken. So we ordered alternatives. I ordered the beef salad. When I eventually got my entree, the beef was still living, mooing and running around the paddock!! I was appalled! My partner ordered steak which he enjoyed however, I ordered the pork roast with all the trimmings. NO NO NO!! To my horror, it was large chunks of pork on large bed of rocket lettuce, and mash potato and very little of anything else!! This was not a roast!! Trying to get the attention of the waitress was like pulling teeth. She was too busy turning potential customers away and telling them to return in a hour!
However, we did enjoy the evenings entertainment provided but other diners who were also in the same situation as us. Never again!!

1  Thank karen f

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Lips is a couple of streets back from the waterfront and the prices reflected this but the meal was excellent which was a real bonus.
Great variety of meals with some imagination and flair. Only criticism - our main meals arrived and we hadn't received our entree of oysters. I told the waitress not to worry about them but they then arrived a few minutes later. To their credit when we went to pay the bill we were not charged for the entree without having to ask or bring it to the cashiers attention.
Lips doesn't look much from the outside but it was a really nice meal and I would recommend it as a place to go in Paihia.

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Just another one of those cafe's to catch out travellers and visitors, looks fine from out front but food and service is terrible. Ordered a bacon sandwich and a latte, the latte was just a big mug of milk, no coffee taste or caffeine to be found. My sandwich took half an hour, which when it arrived it was simply bread un-toasted with stringy fatty bacon and a bit of what might have once been spinach in there. It came with a hash brown which my waitress showed to me by reaching over and opening up my sandwich, the smallest hash brown ever looked very lonely I thought. Was starving already so took out the greenish-greyish lump that might have been something and gave it a go but felt awful all day.

Avoid, bad food and bad service, they know you're not from here and couldn't survive on repeat business.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Not the first time we have visited this little restaurant. Enjoyed a snack lunch here so much that we decided to go back for the evening meal. My wife enjoyed the Salmon and I had the lamb shank. One of the best since our last visit to the Ship in in Irvine, Scotland. Nice varied menu, well worth a visit.

1  Thank ianrob99
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We were a party 10 without a booking and even though we seemed to surprise the staff they catered to us very well and made beautiful food! Good value for money and yummy!