“A lovely meal and great Service”
Review of La Scala - CLOSED

La Scala
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 11, 2011

My husband and I have been travelling New Zealand for 6 weeks and this is the best restaurant meal we have had so far. We were made to feel welcome when we walked in, our coats were hung up, and nothing was too much trouble when we asked for slight alteration to the menu. My husband started with a half-portion of pasta carbonara, and then had the prawn and avocado salad as a main course - the prawns were plump and delicious he said, and there was lots of avocado. As I did not order a starter, I was offered some lovely little warm bread rolls to nibble until the main courses came. Mine was chicken filo parcel with beautiful, freshly-steamed vegetables - really good. We then ended with sticky date pudding which just melted in your mouth. It was an excellent meal, good wine, and friendly and efficient service - a very happy atmosphere, and we would certainly recommend La Scala to anyone

1  Thank Shirley D

Reviewed August 6, 2011

Food was not bad, though it took 40minutes to get our meal. Lots of apologising, hardly any other customers, don't know why it took so long. Won't go back.

1  Thank abkbuderim
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Having again dined at La Scala and having re-read my review of May 2009 it can be reported that some things have changed, albeit not a great deal. Gone are the tablecloths to be replaced with formica table-tops. Less diners than previously as I recall. I again enjoyed Venison Pie as did my spouse her scallops.

La Scala was once the better restaurant in town where advance bookings were necessary. Though others may have upgraded La Scala has either lost something or I have changed. Certainly, while several other restaurants have closed completely and some for the winter season, La Scala continues though has become run-of-the-mill without any particular attraction - except?

Dining at La Scala does not involve sitting near a noisy bar, no loud music, no cold wind coming through continuously opening doors, no smoke from those outside, welcome pleasant warmth on a cool or cold evening, tables sufficiently apart to allow easy low-voiced conversation, attentive wait service. If these needs are yours, as they are those of spouse and self, La Scala is the better place in town for there is only one alternative with the same offerings, of which we know - Kingsgate Hotel which we have delayed venturing into as we are scared of possible coach tour food.

Prices at La Scala are fairly much those of other eateries in town- except the RSA which is about half - at $76 for 1 x Venison pie, 1 x scallops and 2 x glasses half-filled with wine.

2  Thank Probian9910
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We always choose our accommodation by referring to Trip Advisor, but almost always just look for restaurants when we are at our destination. I'm pleased that we didn't check on this restaurant with Trip Advisor prior to eating there, because, now that I've read the other reviews of this place I wonder if I was eating at the same place. Virtually all the reviews here seem to indicate that the quality is mediocre at best and that the staff struggle to cop. Our experience could not be more different. We were made to feel valued on an exceptionally busy evening for the restaurant - they had a table of 18 to serve at the same time as us. We gor good attentive service and food of a good standard. The promkise of a 5% discount next time we dined there prompted us to return the following evening for a equally pleasant evening.

1  Thank jotheringman5
Reviewed March 21, 2011

We ate here in march 2011, and had truly awful experience. Our entrees were forgotten for almost 40 minutes. We ordered fish of the day and fillet mignon and when they eventually arrived the fish was average, although the steak was reasonably tasty- the problem came when the front of house staff took offense in asking for a steak knife. The butter knife provided was not sufficient to cut through, however an argument almost erupted in my attempt to get a steak knife for my steak- they simply did not want to provide one. The waiter return to our table 3 times while we were eating (after a steak knife was
eventually provided) to re assure me one was not required. The most ridiculous service ever experienced! We noticed the front of house staff requested every customer to complete a service survey, however when we payed one was conveniently not offered. could not get out of there sooner!

1  Thank Ktandpdeat