“Good Breakfast, Good Price, Great View”
Review of Hansen's Cafe

Hansen's Cafe
Ranked #42 of 58 Restaurants in Paihia
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We ate here for breakfast in early February, 2014. The price was attractive for a full breakfast and the location and view can't be beat. The place wasn't terribly busy when we ordered at the counter. Good thing because the young lady seemed to be a bit new; not sure. After we ordered many more people arrived and ordered. Good thing we got in early because the counter got busy and seemed rather confusing when I went in to get my own coffee and get the wireless code.

My partner ordered the full breakfast and I ended up ordering gluten-free french toast w/ fresh blueberries and bacon. I was pleasantly surprised they had GF bread! The coffee was good enough, fresh and hot.

If you are expecting a gourmet breakfast reset your expectations. If you are expecting a breakfast cafe/diner meal then this is what you will get at a good price. We would have eaten here again had we had another opportunity especially because of the GF option and the lovely view.

There are newer reviews for Hansen's Cafe

Reviewed May 14, 2014

We drifted into Hensens because of the sign saying friendly staff and the $13.50 full breakfast. It's in a wonderful location right on the bayside with great views but unfortunately we were hungry and hadn't checked the ratings and feedback and got carried away and ordered breakfast. We wished we hadn't ! The bottomless coffee was terrible, the worst I have had in a 20 days stay in New Zealand.It was tasteless and virtually undrinkable. The breakfast was also awful with greasy fried eggs and the cheapest sausages I have ever tasted. We fed them to the seagulls they were so disgusting. Moreover the girls serving looked bored stiff and totally uninterested in their jobs and certainly not customer friendly.There are so many other cafés nearby serving much better quality breakfasts and coffee we don't know how this place survives. They could do so much more business if they served quality food and trained their staff.

1  Thank Peter W
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Awesome location. Food was OK. But it could be so much more. It lacked character (like walking into the 1970s). Not overpriced though. So, if you are looking for something special, keep walking, but if it is location and a simple cafe meal is the goal, then worth it.

1  Thank Dr_fishguy
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We've had breakfast here on a number of occasions. It's cheap and the service is quick when you're on the run. No complaints about the food. It's not a five star restaurant, hence the prices. Went there again last week and found the staff really friendly. Maybe the place was going through a bad patch to warrant the complaints below. Parking is now a bit of a problem which is a shame. You used to be able to park right in front but now you have to go to the carpark way up the road. Could be a turnoff for potential customers.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

The location of this restaurant is prime with a view of the Bay and the ferries. The food was tasty with my wife choosing their bacon and egg roll while I had a combo plate with bacon, sausage, eggs and beans. The staff could use some customer service training as they come off rude and impatient especially if you have a question or a request. I saw this behavior repeated again and again as customers came to the counter...it left me wondering how long they will remain in business.