“Very Handy to Town Centre”

Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Paihia
Taree, Australia
“Very Handy to Town Centre”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

Very tidy hotel in close walking distance to town and wharf area where all the boats depart. Staff very friendly and obliging. Rooms very clean and serviced daily. Parking is a bit limited but not really a problem. Highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
rossbboi, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. As you state, the hotel is a short distance from the centre of town and is only a couple of minutes drive to Waitangi. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Kind Regards Ross.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

Good hotel, slightly out of town but easily walkable.Good beds and food. Can't really complain about anything. All meals have a good variety of food and rooms very clean and comfortable.Staff very friendly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you for posting your comments. We are proud of our hotel and are glad you enjoyed your stay. Kind Regards Ross
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

We spent two nights in this wonderful hotel. The staff at reception were welcoming and helpful. They explained all we needed to know clearly and helped with directions to the places we wanted to visit. The room staff were polite and efficient when going about their duties. Totally recommend this hotel for a relaxing quiet break.

Room Tip: We were on a ground floor and had no problems with noise. It was in a block a bit further away fro...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
rossbboi, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Guest, That you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor. Our staff work extremely hard to meet guest expectaions and it is always a pleasure to recieve positive comments like yours. Kind Regards Ross
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

This was our second stop on our tour, and we stayed for 3 days. We wrongly thought that we were booking an apartment, with full facilities, rather than a room in a hotel, with less services, but we were very pleased with our stay there. It was very easy to find, only a short walk from the main attractions in Piahia, and had plenty of parking. The food in the hotel was good, and all the staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for your comments. The chef is proud of his menu and it is pleasing to get positive comments like yours stating the good quality that is produced. As you state ,it is only a short stoll to the centre of town and it is only a couple of minutes drive to Waitangi.. Kind Regards Ross
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

I emailed countless times before my stay, to ensure it was a good experience for my partner and I. Every single detail was attended to and passed on to the team. The lady that checked us in (blonde, can't remember her name) was probably one of the most attentive and helpful people I've experienced in the industry, and was a very helpful thing after 8 hours of travelling and frustration with a car hire man! Although the rooms were quite basic, they were comfortable, modern and clean. The housekeeping team were great, the hotel is a very short stroll to the centre of town and it's great value for money. Breakfast buffet was fine, like any other hotel buffet, could probably use some jujjing for wow factor. Happy hour drink special and 1 hour free internet access makes the experience really smooth and easy. I recommend the banana crepe on the restaurant's dessert menu - it's absolutely amazing! I would like to give a very special thank you to Thais, for her endless help with a very difficult guest - me! :) Her attention to detail made us feel so welcome.

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms are the same
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely comments on Tripadvisor. Thais and her team at the front desk ,work tirelessly to meet guest expectation and it is pleasing to recieve comments like yours. Kind Regards Ross
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Too far to walk from town centre, takes around 25 mins, service was average and room outside was very shabby with no view at all. Room inside was better, and sleep was good.
Wouldnt stay here again...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post comments on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you had a good nights rest and the rooms were clean. Kind Regards Ross
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

I recently stayed here as part of a "Birthday Trip" with Mum and could not speak more highly of it. It is only a short, easy walk to the centre of town - very handy as Mum struggles with distances. The Rooms were immaculate, very spacious and also lovely and quiet at night. We found the housekeeping staff especially friendly, considerate and helpful - nothing was a problem and they all seemed so happy and to really love what they do - this pride seems to come out in their work as the rooms were so clean and comfortable.
But the best experience was meeting a young guy at Reception - His name was Sid. As I was going to be away from home - and my boyfriend - on both Valentines Day and my Birthday - I was most upset to find I had packed the wrong phone charger on this trip! Extremely upset, I went to the reception desk desperate to find out where I could by one. I was informed there were no such shops nearby, and without a vehicle, shops in other areas was of no use to me. Sid got a box of charges from behind the desk (chargers other guests have left behind over time) and helped me sort through them to try and find one that would fit my Samsung. I must have checked every charge three times in desperate hope that I had missed one. But to no avail. Suddenly, Sid ran out of the reception, saying he would be back in a second. Seconds later, he returned from his car with what he told me was his spare charger (we had the same phone). He told me to check it to make sure it worked on my phone. I returned to my room where I quickly plugged it into my "dead" phone. The relief I felt when it worked was immediate. I ran back to tell Sid that it was charging, and asked if I could leave it charging til he finished work or if I could give it back the following day. Sid instantly told me to keep it. I couldnt believe it. He wanted nothing in return either- I offered to pay him but he would not hear of it. He made my day and saved me a lot of heartache in having to buy a new one.
I have travelled to many, many places around the world, and this experience would be the most memorable of any staff member I have ever encounted anywhere. I dont think Sid fully understood just how much I appreciated his generousity.
I have also worked as a Front Office Supervisor for many years, and I could only hope to have a staff member with such a great attitutude, and such a generous nature with outsanding customer service working for me. He is a real gentleman and a credit to your Hotel. I hope he is recognised for this.
I would definatley highly recommend this Hotel to anyone after an oustanding hotel experience. Thankyou and we hope to visit again some time in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
rossbboi, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for placing your lovely comments on Tripadvisor. Sid is a new addition to our Front Office team and we are proud of him and the attention he gives to all our guests. We put as large effort into training and it is good to see it working with your comments. Kind Regards Ross