We received a warm welcome at this boutique hotel and were given a room on the top floor (4th) with great views across the Bay of Islands. The room was spacious and well-equipped with a very comfortable king-size bed, widescreen TV, hi-fi system, iPod dock, kitchenette with microwave, large balcony with table, chairs and lounger.
The bathroom boasted a large Jacuzzi tub, which required a great deal of water to cover the jets and probably consumed a fair amount of electricity, and yet there were several notices asking us to save the planet by not having towels changed daily and bed linen only every three days. Another notice invited us not to have the room cleaned in the interests of the environment! In large hotels, I always regard this as a cynical attempt to increase profits whilst giving a nod to the environmentalists. In this case, we were offered a NZD10 voucher for the Spa if the room was not cleaned, a neat way of promoting the Spa.
My local oysters at dinner were possibly the best I have enjoyed anywhere in the world, large, plump and full of flavour. The fillet steak was less good for NZD33.50, being on the thin side and more well done rather than the requested medium/rare. Both carafe wines from the barrel were good, but quite expensive. The lunchtime prawn and mango salad comprised good, warm tiger prawns with a single slice of overripe mango accompanied by lettuce, cucumber, grapes, a strawberry, tomatoes, aioli and a raspberry coulis. I guess this is what is meant by fusion cuisine. No bread was offered. The cooked breakfast was good apart from two frankfurters masquerading as sausages. Continental was adequate.
We didn't get to use the outdoor heated pool and jacuzzis as the weather closed in, wet and windy, but they looked lovely.
The staff were helpful and friendly, and I have no hesitation in recommending the Paihia Beach Resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paihia Beach Resort & Spa overlooks Paihia's most picturesque beach and is within walking distance of Paihia Wharf, the departure point to discover the wonderful Bay of Islands. Located within the Hotel is the chic poolside and ocean view restaurant offering only the finest culinary experience. Visit the hotel's award-winning spa, La Spa Naturale, offering first class spa treatments with a uniquely New Zealand flavour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Agoda, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Paihia Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paihia Beach Resort And Spa
- Paihia Beach Hotel Paihia
- Paihia Beach Resort & Spa Bay Of Islands