“Slow service and terrible food”
Review of The Pier Lounge Bar & Cafe - CLOSED

The Pier Lounge Bar & Cafe
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We took some friends from out of town here. It took and hour and a half to get our food. Only one other table was eating. Our meals did not come out together and one meal was completely different to what was on the menu. The place was dirty and the table next to us remained uncleared the whole time we were there. As locals we will not go back or recommend it to anyone. Such a gorgeous location but not worth the money by a long shot

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Simple order of coffee took 15 mins and I eventually had to go in to ask what had happened to it. Staff fairly indifferent though to be fair they were very busy and could do with extra staff on the days when cruise boats come in.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

This place is as bad as it gets. They will serve u rubbish and call it gold. Yuck. You can do better...Don't be fooled by location. Overpriced, bad service, dull menu and poorly managed. I warned you!

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We ate lateish (8pm) on a Friday night. The restaurant only had a couple of other tables in use, and is in a great spot with most tables overlooking the water.

Our order was taken and the food appeared in a reasonable time. We were impressed that they had put the fish & chips we wanted to share on two separate plates, with chips and salad on each. We also had a large plate of calamari to share.

The downsides; we each got a scale and small bone with the fish, which shouldn't happen in a good restaurant. The fish (Dory) was very good, but we were always wondering if we were going to get another bone. Chips were good, and plenty for us. My wife thought the salad was 'dead' but I had no problems with it. The sauces were good.

Although the waitress asked us how the meal was early on, she never came back so I could order another drink - I had to go to the bar for that. Not as if they were busy.

When my wife paid the bill, she queried the amount as it seemed high. She found someone else's meal also on the tab. Removing this dropped the cost to 2/3, in line with what we expected.

It's in a great spot, I'm sure they can do better than our experience, as is shown in some of the other reviews.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I can honestly say my wife & I had one of the worst dining experiences ever at the Pier bar & cafe. We went in because we fancied the mussels in garlic & white wine sauce advertised outside. We put in our order plus 1 beer and 1 gin & lemonade. We were charged $74 for this. I questioned the price and it was changed to $41 the error being blamed on the fact that the waitress was new! (Was she also new to maths?). We were told on ordering that it would take approx 30 mins for our meal. This was ok as we intended to have a couple of drinks. On returning to the bar to order a 2nd round of drinks, the same new waitress attempted to charge me for our food a 2nd time.(She was determined to shaft us it seems). Then when we assertained that I had to pay $15+ and I gave her $20 she then didn't have change to give me. This was eventually resolved by the lady in 'charge' raiding the tips jar(why would anyone service this?). I returned to our seats outside where we had been joined by 3 young men who were allowed to sit in the dining area and smoke. After a 1 hour wait for a meal that I could have cooked myself in 15 minutes, we were watching with intent as to what was happening inside. Eventually we saw our meal being paraded around the cafe as the boss lady clearly couldn't remember who had ordered it. There was only us and 1 other (irate) customer waiting for meals. My wife went in to retrieve our meal before it went missing again. Now anyone who has ever dined on mussels will know it is a messy business and requires an empty dish to place the empty shells and a finger bowl to clean ones fingers. Alas this was far too much to hope for. Too fed up to bother with trying to resolve this we just decided to eat it and get out of there. Unbelieveably, there was no sign of any sauce let alone garlic & wine. The mussels were bone dry and tasteless. Avoid this place at all costs.