“Wonderful experience, amazing views and great horses”
Review of Horse Trek'n

Horse Trek'n
Ranked #21 of 43 Outdoor Activities in Paihia
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Horse Trek'n. If you are looking for a fun activity, come for a ride with us! If your dream is to swim with horses, we are the place for you; Ride along the beautiful scenery of the Bay of Islands and experience the thrill of swimming in the ocean with your horse when weather conditions permit!
London, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful experience, amazing views and great horses”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I went riding with my kids (6&9yrs old) who have not really ridden before so I was nervous about them both being on horses and the guides were wonderful. They walked alongside us as that is what I had asked for and were friendly, relaxed and keen that we enjoyed the ride and the views. The horses were all beautiful and well trained. The route back from the volcano was a bit more varied through the forest and a bit more challenging which was great. We loved it. It was so peaceful and scenic and a very special afternoon. my daughter especially loved the horses and couldn't stop talking about them. Thanks very much!

Auckland, NZ
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Good experience, but could be better”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We are not experienced riders at all, so looked forward to something a bit different. It was a hot day and prior to leaving, we asked about water along the way. We were told that we would be too busy concentrating on handling our horses that we would not even realise we were thirsty! We left but there were two guides walking the entire 2 hours alongside the horses, meaning that the pace was very slow. My horse kept being picked on by the others and was kicked numerous times. Other horses stopped to eat along the way, and we'd have to stop every few minutes for them to catch up. The helmets that we were each given to wear stank of sweat and were quite disgusting to wear. I have since been told that we should also have been given a hair net to wear too.
The views were lovely and it was a good experience overall, if a little boring because of the pace we were at. If the few minor issues were addressed, this would really be a magical experience particularly for those who have never ridden before.

Visited December 2013
zoeyjames, Owner at Horse Trek'n, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Hi there, thank you for taking the time to write a review. If we sent 2 guides on foot with your group, it would have been entirely for safety for some specific reasons, such as a number of young children, fearfull people on the ride, langage barrier... etc.The girls are very fit and they do walk at the same pace as the horses. If your horses were stopping to eat, with them on foot, they can intervene swifter making the ride easier for you. We do keep at a walk with large groups of beginners, so you didn't miss out on any faster speed. We do recommend riders take a dozen of riding lessons before going on horse treks as this gives you an opportunity to try some trot and canter without hurting the horses, and for added safety. Our helmets are spayed with Dettol after every ride and hair nets are readely available on the shelf where you sign your forms, with a sign.
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing experience!”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Both my partner and I had had experience riding in the past but hadn't been on a horse for a good few years so were excited for this opportunity. We were lucky enough to be the only ones in the group thy afternoon so had a private trek which was fantastic.

We were able to trot and canter if we wanted but were always given the option to say no and just carry on walking. Our guide was fantastic and told us about the kiwis in the area as it was a kiwi zone and other aspects of the surroundings.

The views were spectacular an the overall experience was 5 *

Auckland, New Zealand
“Nice trek, nice horses!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I really enjoyed this ride. I was given a horse adequate for my experience (more or less experienced) and I was in a group with 2 other girls that also had some experience. So we were able to trot and canter along the trek. Unfortunately it was raining that day. The owner offered us rain coats so that we could still go on the trek. I was called in the morning to go on an earlier ride because the weather seemed better in the morning, even got a free pick-up :)

All in all I really enjoyed the ride and the horse that I was given (Mocha) was also very well trained. The guide was very nice and made sure we were safe at all times and were enjoying ourselves.
Thank you for that awesome experience! :)

Visited December 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“horse trek'n”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

went on the Horse Trek'n Paihia,went for just over 2 hours,great views up on the forest track,saw the volcanoe crater,good mix of dirt track,gravel,grass,,,been along time since I last rode a horse but did it for my duaghter who loved every minute,priceless photos and time spent together,great guide,,must do even if your not a horsey person.