“Great visit”

$111.78*
5.5-Hour Bay of Islands Shore Excursion from Waitangi Wharf
Ranked #1 of 42 things to do in Paihia
More attraction details
Owner description: Waitangi Treaty Grounds, New Zealand's most important historic site, is where the Treaty of Waitangi was signed between the British Crown and the indigenous Maori in February 1840. Set on a stunning site overlooking the Bay of Islands, Waitangi is an absolute must-see for all visitors to the North, international and New Zealanders alike. Attractions include the historic Treaty House, a giant flagstaff, a unique fully carved Maori meeting house and the the world's largest single-hulled canoe (waka). Guided tours and cultural performances run at regular intervals throughout the day. Open daily except Christmas.
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Is a great place to start with when you first visit New Zealand. It shows the history of maori and pakeha and how it all started in this side of the world.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,932)

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Great expereince for NZers and foreigners alike. Especially recommended for new immigrants to our country s gives a good overview of history of our country. Visitor centre is set up to showcase best of history and the grounds are well maintained and definitely worth a visit. Dont go on 6th Feb as this will distort your view of a great faciltiy and attraction that provides a great learning experience of our history. At 1100 staff perform in the meeting house - well worth seeing. Situated on one of the most stunning locations in NZ

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I am the Assistant Manager at Busby Manor Resort, I did this tour as a famil a few years ago. It gives pleasure to say this time round AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME I found Lyle our guide friendly informative & hard case he really knew what he was talking about. The cultural performance AMAZING for a group of 6, 3 men & 3 women. Ladies your voices truly amazing the combination of tones did justice to the whole performance. Men fantastic it has been a long time since I have seen & heard a performance like that. I take my hat off to "Lyle" & the "Culture Crew" 100%. It is a pity that a lot of our own people have not seen this performance. So I say GO GO GO with bells on! :) I will be sending all of my guests kiwis & all to experience this.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Was very interesting with knowledgable and friendly guides. The grounds are well kept, clean and tidy. It must be great on Waitangi day, but even on a cold slow day like it was for our visit it was still good. My wife and I had a great time.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I recently went and took part in the tour and culture shows, which are done twice daily.
I thoroughly enjoyed the culture show and was elected chief of our group of tourists which was an experience to say the least! As Tourists travelling around the world from the UK we didn't know much about the Maori culture or history, so the both of these needs were fulfilled! I would recommend it fully but would suggest they do take the tour and watch the show as without these, understanding some of the sights are a lot harder, which probably lead to the bad reviews.
You can tell this is a good place as I'm a teenager (16) and it usually takes quite a bit to impress me, and the Waitangi Treaty Grounds have definitely impressed me!

1  Thank Tom S