“Well worth doing” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
Waitangi Treaty Grounds Day Pass
Ranked #1 of 39 things to do in Paihia
More attraction details
Owner description: Waitangi Treaty Grounds, New Zealand's most important historic site, is where the Treaty of Waitangi was signed between the British Crown and the indigenous Maori in February 1840. Set on a stunning site overlooking the Bay of Islands, Waitangi is an absolute must-see for all visitors to the North, international and New Zealanders alike. Attractions include the historic Treaty House, a giant flagstaff, a unique fully carved Maori meeting house and the the world's largest single-hulled canoe (waka). Guided tours and cultural performances run at regular intervals throughout the day. Open daily except Christmas.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Well worth doing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Really good experience good to introduce you to the history of New Zealand and the culture show was amazing highly recommend and very friendly helpful staff

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
St.Cloud
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Some interesting sights but overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

There wasn't much to see at the Treaty Grounds, a small gift shop, a short film, a Maori canoe and meeting house, and the house and gardens where the treaty was signed. It has historical significance however, for $25 it was overpriced.

Honolulu, Hawaii
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“If in the North, a Can't Miss!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

I didn't really know much about the Waitangi Treaty Grounds except that they had a beautifully carved meetinghouse that I wanted to see. We decided to check it out and I came out learning a lot.

Walking in, I asked the woman at the register what I needed to do on the grounds. She said I needed to do the cultural performance and that it was "better than anything I'd see in Rotorua." Hadn't been to Rotorua at that point so I just took her word for it. She also said that I didn't need to do the tour and that the grounds were well labelled enough to self tour. I appreciated the honesty and the saving of some money.

I've noticed that all the one star reviews on tripadvisor are because of the admission fee of $25 + show or tour costs. Yes, it's a bit pricey but almost ALL attractions in New Zealand (or at least the ones I did in Taipo, Auckland, and Rotorua) are pricey. That's just the way it is. To me it was worth the money, but if it's not stop complaining and stay home or do something free.

I really enjoyed the cultural performance. It was very interesting and fun to watch. Being from Hawaii, I grew up around a lot of Polynesian cultures and performances and will say that the show is geared toward tourists. BUT, I found that to be a good thing. How else are visitors going to understand what is going on without the informational bits in between songs/demonstrations? All the performers were all spot on and fantastic and should really be proud of themselves. Actually saw in the paper the next day that one of the guys was brand new. Good for him!

The grounds are beautiful and vast. The museum is interesting. The Waka (canoe) and meetinghouse are beautifully crafted.

My only regret here was that I didn't spend as much time there that I should have. A very good educational experience well worth what I paid.

Mahalo!

1 Thank David E
Esperance, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A must”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I really enjoyed visiting the treaty grounds and the concert well worth paying the extra to see. Also enjoyed watching a person dressed up in period costume explaining to a group of school children the history of the treaty .

Brisbane, Australia
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Waitangi Treaty House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Wonderful experience to learn of New Zealand Beginnings. The information is set out very well and the grounds are kept beautiful.
After growing up in the Bay of Islands I never tire of going back to see what they have done and am never disappointing, Congratulations to all who work so tirelessly.