“Nice start to our trip”

Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Paihia
Cranage, United Kingdom
“Nice start to our trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in January at the start of a 4 week tour of NZ. The motel is quite nice with good sized rooms and very nice bathrooms. Good views from your balcony over the hills - nice to watch the sunsets. Barbara very helpful with trips etc. The motel is about a kilometre from town but be aware it is a tough walk back to the hotel up the hill !! Quite close to the main road but noise was not an issue. Only given 4 stars instead of 5 due to the Internet. Barbara advertises it as free but you only get 50mb free then you have to pay. Barbara says this is typical of NZ but it really isn't as in the following 4 weeks we got usually 10 times that amount and in quite a few places unlimited access. Just a small point but one that I think should be addressed in this IT world.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Pearl of the Bay, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Hello Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you found the motel a nice start to your trip.
We do have a limit on our internet, and we allocate 50mb free WIFI per day, not per stay. The reason for this is that now many people travel with individual devices and with the advent of skype, facebook, downloading movies, books and songs, we cannot meet that demand within the room rates that we charge. Unlimited WIFI is not common with the motels in Paihia, and it is true that there is a varied system throughout the country. 50mb allows for an hours email use or internet browsing, so this is equivalent to an hour a day free. I completely understand that in this internet technology world, we do have to keep up. However, in all cases were guests have approached me for additional usage, I have provided it, we issue all data vouchers up front on arrival, so no need for daily vouchers. I accept your point as a valid one. We constantly review our processes and our services, and technology is an area that demands constant attention as it changes all the time.
I am glad that in all other areas we met your expectations. Thank you and best wishes Barbara.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
various
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

This place is spotlessly clean, Barbara is an excellent host and the facilities are comprehensive. It is about a mile out of town but that is not a major problem. We found the beds a bit tired but the motel has obviously been refurbished to a high standard.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review the motel. I appreiciate it, and so do fellow travellers. I have sent you an email to check which room you were in, in order to address the issue you mentioned with the beds being "tired". It is important that guests get a comfortable night's sleep and we do have a repairs and maintenance schedule that is always in operation behind the scenes. We do seek to provide good value for the room cost, and I am glad that you felt that was the case. Best wishes Barbara
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

This was our first holiday to Asia, Australia and NZ covering a span of two months and a number of Guest Homes, Motels, Hotels etc. and we have to say the Bali Hai Motel was amongst the very best we stayed at. Barbara was a fantastic host with nothing being too much trouble. She made us feel right at home, helping with all our planned arrangements as well as supporting us in adding more, (would heartily recommend Para-Sailing, in the Bay). Her local knowledge and standing in the community is excellent, so much so that she organised/arranged for a number of our planned excursions to pick us up direct from the Hotel. The unit was exceptionally clean and maintained that way every day. It contained all that we needed to look after ourselves including the best collection of DVDs’ available (FOC) to give us entertainment during one of our rare nights in! Overall, her place was great value for money and one that we have already recommended to our friends and will certainly use again on our next visit.

Room Tip: All rooms have front and rear access and parking directly underneath room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Pearl of the Bay, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive review, and for remembering your stay here after a long and interesting trip. It was a pleasure to meet you both and I enjoyed our conversations along the way. I remember the "discussion" about the parasailing and you both did really well going on it as soon as you arrived. It is very "high" but as you say the views are worth it.
It is great to know that you may consider a return visit to New Zealand and the Bali Hai motel. As I tell everyone, we are small and personal and with 9 rooms you can really feel at home and part of the property, in a good way:)
I look forward to seeing you both again. Warm regards Barbara
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

My two boys and I stayed at the Bali Hai Motel for three nights and even though the weather was not great (rained too much for a cruise on the Bay) we felt right at home in our clean and comfortable apartment. Barbara could not have been more helpful and thoughtful to us. The boys were so comfy they did not want to leave the room when the weather cleared up! Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Katrina
I remember you and the boys well, and the inclement weather we had those few days!!
Thank goodness for Lord of the Rings board games.

I do want to thank you for taking the time to post a review. I know once people leave, their busy lives start up again and, a review on Trip Advisor is not top of the priority list. However, it is helpful both to us and future guests, as many people make enquiries from Trip Advisor. I hope that you and the boys will visit again and whilst I can not ensure the weather, I can promise that our standards will only have got better!
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

I (from germany) stayed there again 2 nights in Dezember and had my greatest stay due our trip through New Zealand.

You get a great appartement for cheap money, free Internet and accses to a collection of great movies for free!

Also you have a carpark spot under your room so it's save at every wheater and you can leave it ther while you're on trips (if you still have booked the room of course i think).

I had an great apartement with a full equipped kitchen and with a teflon pan! (If you book one of these). There are also facilites to wash your clothes and dry them.

For my stay i asked Barara (the owner) for things worth to see around and she gave me some great tips and maps from the area around.

Tip: last time I bookd a 90 Miles Beach tour and a shipping tour through the bay to the famous hole in the rock and had lots of fun!

If i had any questions or something i could ask Barbara everytime. She even called me in the morning to make sure i'm awake so i don't miss my bus for my booked tour.

What more could you want?

I think because of the lovely owner, the great rooms and the stunning view to the bay in Paihia this is still one of the best Motels in New Zealand!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Pearl of the Bay, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you, one again Benjamin, for staying with us and for commenting on your visit. It is great when people choose us once, but twice is even more special.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We have stayed at the Bali Hai Motel twice now. I can't say enough about how welcome we were made to feel, Barbara is a great host and made us feel right at home. The unit was clean and contained all that we needed to look after ourselves! We also really enjoyed the views and the short stroll to the beach. Overall, it is great value for money and nothing attests to this more than having just booked my mum in on her forthcoming trip to NZ!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Pearl of the Bay, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I am glad that you felt welcome and at home. As we are small, it is possible to feel like you belong immediately and that enables you to feel like an individual and that your stay is personal.

I have checked our future reservations and look forward to meeting your mother, and her friend, in March. Thank you once again for choosing the Bali Hai motel, we do not take your custom for granted.
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Had four wonderful nights at the Bali Hai. Our host Barbara could not have been more helpful and catered for our every need. Our room was spotlessly clean and the motel had the most amazing sea views. It was the ideal place to stay while in Paihia, not as noisy as in the town.Just a short walk from main resort. Excellent value for money. I will be telling my friends about this little gem.
Feel we made a new friend in Barbara and hope to return one day.

Room Tip: Small motel. All rooms are high standard.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen F
BaliHaiMotelPaihia, Manager at Pearl of the Bay, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you Rita & Steve, for taking the time to write a review. I enjoyed having you visit. I am glad that the motel was perceived as excellent value to you, and that the location and noise levels were not an issue. We are 1km from the beginning of Paihia and we feel this is an advantage in many ways, certainly for quiet and privacy. As many of our guests comment, they feel it is a place to relax after a busy day being a tourist and exploring the area. Thank you both once again & I do hope you make it back in a couple of years.