“There are probably better places to stay in Paihia”

Base Backpackers Paihia hostel
Ranked #15 of 31 Specialty Lodging in Paihia
Reviewed April 25, 2011

A party hostel, which is fine if you are happy being kept awake till the early hours by music and drunks. The rooms were basic with clean bedding. There was a flood in to the sleeping area from the bathroom when we arrived - we reported it to the guy cleaning but no one turned up to sort it out so it was left to stink out the room. We stayed in two different dorm rooms, and couldn't turn off the water taps properly in either room - a bit ironic when there are signs up asking guests to conserve water. Staff were helpful, and friendly enough. The swimming pool didn't look like it had been cleaned out for a few weeks.

There are probably better places to stay in Paihia if you want to sleep.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 16, 2011

It's fine. The bar is fun. It's a younger crowd. It's also where many of the tour buses go so it gets crowded. But it's really not that great. There are better hostels in Paihia. Also, I was in an 8 person room so that doesn't help this review. Not their fault though.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I went on a Stray bus and pretty much had to stay here in an 8 bed dorm. Never again. The fellow guests were loud, obnoxious, inconsiderate and partied late into the night. It is where all the Stray bus and Kiwi Experience crowd stays on a nightly basis.
It may have been better in a smaller dorm but the shared kitchen facilities were not large enough for the number of people staying anyway and the bar can be heard from all the rooms.

I would recommend staying next door at The Saltwater Lodge instead.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank vettyv
Reviewed January 28, 2011

What more can we ask?...
I have stayed in many backpackers and this place is definitely one of my favorite!
I am quite a clean freak but our room was definitely spotless! In fact, I have never seen a backpacker so clean before!
However, I don’t know how the dorm rooms looks like. My boyfriend and I stayed in a double room and we also had our own ensuite. Unfortunately we stayed there for a night only.
We paid 72$; I guess it was a very good deal for this type of accomodation in peak season. We just walked- in and we got this rate. Don’t hesitate to tell them you want to find something cheaper when they give you the price. They wanted to sharge us 92$ at first but we did not want to pay that price.
You get kitchenwares, tea and coffea, , soap, towels in your room... The room is big, nice and bright. You can park your car right in front of the door ( we stayed on the ground floor )
Maybe you can ask for a room on the first floor so you would get a nice balcony.
We will definitely go back to this place again! The backpacker is one minute walk from the beach and the staff is very friendly!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bhzvar
Reviewed April 3, 2010

This is pretty excellent accommodation. I was in Paihia for 4 nights and I spent 2 nights in Pipi Patch. The room I was staying in (8-bed dorm) was clean, and equipped with a fridge and a pantry. Overall, the place has a well-equipped kitchen, a mini pool and a bar (the night I was there happened to be the quiz night where you can win some pretty cool vouchers). There's also a TV room (with real comfy couches) next to the kitchen which is a nice place to chill out if the weather's bad outside. Internet is available for $4 an hour.
If you're seeking a peaceful/quiet atmosphere at night, then you should probably stay somewhere else cos the noise from the bar can be quite overwhelming late into the night. I'm an early sleeper, hence this bothered me greatly and after two nights, I moved to YHA, which is located further up the road (I've also wrote a review for this).

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Loud and crowded.
I met lots of very nice people though.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank NadiaH84
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We stayed here for one night in a double room. It shared a bathroom and small kitchen with toaster and kettle with two other rooms which was a nice touch.

The clothes washing facilities were ok although the dryers were a little poor and i ended up drying the clothes in our room on a makeshift clothes line (it was raining outside!)

The location of this hostel was excellent - just off the main street through the town. The bar area was excellent and this hostel had the best kitchen we have ever experienced! It was extremely well equipped and lovely and clean- it even had recylcing bins for cans and glass etc.

Would definately recommend staying here.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank KimandChris