“Value for money”

Ranked #22 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Paihia
Auckland, New Zealand
“Value for money”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Great hostels, though not part of the BBH group still offered discount to members. Free room upgrade when original room mistakenly given to another backpacker.
Great facilities, clean and easy to get to and central to everything.

Owner on hand all the time and friendly, highly recommend this hostels to all.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
ptl-nz, Owner at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
we are pleased you enjoyed your time with us, come back again. regards bryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The best place to stay in North Island. Just a min walking away from the beach, free kayac and bikes, really clean lodge with all the facilities:bbq, huge kitchen, nice showers and comfortable beds! Also the staff is so friendly en helpful! We had a great weekend in Bay of Islands, thanks to you guys! If come back to Paihia, no doubts we'll be back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
ptl-nz, Owner at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you for the kind review, your comments make the extra effort worth while. Hope to see you back here one day........ safe travels..... regards bryan
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Nice clean hostel at a convenient place in Paihia. Friendly staff, clean kitchen and dorms. Very nice facilities, even though I didn't use them in my short time there.
The one thing that I didn't like it's that it's pretty noisy. I was unlucky to sleep next to the toilets and the handdryer is really loud. Next to the I could also here the travellers in the room above mine come home. Lots of stomping sheen they came in. Maybe I was just unlucky with the room. Would come back though but would ask for a different room I'd I get the same one!

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
ptl-nz, Owner at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
unfortunately the hand dryer does sound very loud at night, probably when the night is still and no other noise is around, not sure if there is any thing we can do to muffle it, but will certainly speak to the suppliers in regard to this. Thankyou for bringing this to my attention, and am pleased for the most part you enjoyed your stay,
Munich, Germany
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I have been to Paihia 4 times so far and usually book very short-term. Because of that each stay was in a different accommodation, so I am comparing to the other places.

I stayed in a double room with shared bathroom (cannot comment on other rooms)

Positive:
- the room was quite big and even had a balcony (great value)
- the living room and kitchen were quite spacious and inventory was in good condition

Negative:
- the room was facing towards Kings Road and there was VERY loud music from the bar on the other side of the street... at 8pm...at10pm...at midnight. Not sure if it stopped at all...
- the "service" was not existing. I got the keys and that's it.
- I have to say that the shared bathroom was not acceptable for me at all. It was one shared bathroom for all guests (men and women) together, thus it was always crowded, not really clean (hundreds of dead flies lying around), no paper towels,... felt like a container bathroom at a cheap campground (and even they would have split bathrooms for men and women)

Overall:
Compared to the rest of New Zealand this is a reasonably good accommodation. Within Paihia there are many better places. I personally cannot recommend it.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing Kings Road or you get all the noise from across the road
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ptl-nz, Owner at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
You came in for one night on the first long weekend for summer, the whole town was 100% booked and a lot of folk on those weekends come in to the diners and bars. So yes there would have been a fair bit of street noise. The lodge was built over 25 years ago and the shared bathroom would have been busy, we are unable to reconfigure the lodge to put in single sex facilities.We do check it at 8pm and at the end of the night (10.30PM), its fully cleaned between 10am and 12pm, so it should have been clean. The little midges are at this time of year are attracted by both the light and the steam from the showers, and only come at night. you booked in at 6.30pm and would have been checking out by 10am, there are no tours running at that time and most folk who stay 1 night are either heading north in the morning, or heading south, so I am not sure what else you were expecting, we are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

2-5 September
I spent three nights here whilst travelling alone in Paihia, Cape Reinga and Bay of Islands.
I stayed in a 4 bed mixed dorm. The rooms are basic but the shower was good, hot water and the heater in the room kept me warm, for a dorm room it was pretty spacious. I shared with 2 guys for the first two nights then had it to myself on the last night!
The guy working on the desk was awesome, forget his name, but he was great at helping me sort out my trips around the area.
Defo book your tours when you get there, plenty to pick from and you get good advice.
The kitchen/recreation area is huge and really well equipped.
5 mins walk to the Pier maximum, great location, great atmosphere.

Room Tip: My room was next to the lounge right next to the tv....perhaps request a room that isn't next to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
ptl-nz, Owner at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thankyou for the kind review, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay, I trust you will come back again, have a safe time for the rest of your journey
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Okay dont stay at a lot of backpackers but we just lucked out at this one got told by someone we meet in wangara if thats the spelling anyway greeted by nice bloke gave us the rundown on all the things to do in Paihia and maps also then ws taken to great 4 bed dorm with own toilet which was great as we had booked a 8 bed dorm the Aussie bloke told us straight away we have been upgraded he was so nice, we eventually after thinking about his combo idea and the value in that price plus we got some money back & some free wifi for booking it there all was sweet as they seem to say around these parts plus rooms clean, kitchen big and roomy with all the things need to cook even though we only eat breaky there so overall i would say stay here for the price the feel of the place and the location it was just a very very pleasent suprise to get this kind of feeling at a backpackers KEEP IT GOING PEPPERTREE LODGE

Room Tip: If you dont get an upgrade like we did pay the differnce and stay in the 4 bed dormy with own toilet...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ptl-nz, Owner at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your stay at our hostel, in the quiet periods we upgrade when we can, as this is usually a pleasant surprise for the guests. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for the rating. Hope you come back and stay again with us........ regards bryan
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Arrived there quite early in the morning but Buck was too kind to let me check in. The hostel was nestled in a quiet street which was just few steps from the beach. The kitchen was well equipped. And so was the lounge where I enjoyed the movies with all other backpackers. It would be much better if the room was cleaner. However, it was pleasant to stay there and I would consider to come back in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
ptl-nz, Owner at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review my hostel, keeping the hostel clean is 100% important to us, and we will endeavour to up the standard every day, I am pleased there were more positives in regard to the facilities we offer, and thank you for taking the time to review. regards bryan